"Super" Ally and Craig Levein

londonjambo

I've been spending some time recently transferring all my old Hearts VHS on to DVD and was sitting watching some games from 1989 last night.

Does anyone recall a game against Rangers at Ibrox which we lost 1-0 where Ally McCoist, the blue eyed darling of Scottish football blatantly stamped on Craig Levein's leg.

Levein disposseses McCoist and McCoist tackles him and as the ball rolls into touch, McCoist quite deliberately stamps on Levein's leg a la Sproule on Miko. Cant recall who was commentating - might have been Archie - but even the commentator says "What has got into McCoist"

Referee's verdict on what would today be a straight red and media outcry ?? Free kick. No sending off, not even a booking.

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Anyone else remember it ?

GC

P.S. Also saw a cracking volleyed goal by Tosh McKinley against the sheep. Anyone recall that one ?

Remember it well Gary. We used to get nothing in Glasgow then and we get nothing in Glasgow now.

Plus ca change as you say.

Nelly Terraces
Remember it well Gary. We used to get nothing in Glasgow then and we get nothing in Glasgow now.

Plus ca change as you say.

Indeed. My 1st trip to the Bronx was 1982/3 in the league cup semi when we were still in Division 1. We took around 7 thousand through that night and had the whole of the top of the Broomloan. Folk were having to stand in the aisles.

We were doing well, and managing to hold our own, till the ref -Jim 'Mason Boyne' Renton intervened. As the game wore on, the filth got more desperate to break us down, He started to give them everything, and their 2 goals were offside by a coupla yards. Derek O'Connor got scythed down in the middle of the pitch by a really late tackle and we never even got a free kick (I remember he was out for a few weeks).

It was my 1st taste of going through to ther Weege and I left sickened we'd been blatantly cheated.:sad:

As it was, so were a large percentage of the HMFC supprt, who, back then, were not to be messed with. Coins, pies, canes from flags sold outside, everything, rained down on the **** below us, and afters we ran them all over Govan. I felt better after that, and some chips on the way home.:)

Still hate Renton now. Cheating c ** t.

NT.

We took around 7 thousand through that night and had the whole of the top of the Broomloan. Folk were having to stand in the aisles.

I know we took a sizeable support but to claim that is just silly. The upper teir in that stand holds about 4,000;)

Nelly Terraces
I know we took a sizeable support but to claim that is just silly. The upper teir in that stand holds about 4,000;)

Holds more than I think. Around 5 thou. The aisles were packed out as well. Not that it matters. Only 1 man in the ground made a difference that night.

We had the whole end iirc.

Nelly Terraces

Sure it was top deck only boys. For a few years, going there, we always got the top deck.

From wiki re capacity of stands:

The Copland stand, at the east end of the stadium, was completed in 1979 and originally accommodated 7,500 spectators (later increased to around 8,000). It is traditionally the 'Rangers end' of the ground, and the team normally chooses to shoot towards that end in the second half of matches. An identical stand - the Broomloan - was completed in 1980 at the western end of the ground

Guess in that case, I overstated the amount we took that night, I'd guess around 5thou would be more on the mark.

I've been spending some time recently transferring all my old Hearts VHS on to DVD and was sitting watching some games from 1989 last night.

Does anyone recall a game against Rangers at Ibrox which we lost 1-0 where Ally McCoist, the blue eyed darling of Scottish football blatantly stamped on Craig Levein's leg.

Levein disposseses McCoist and McCoist tackles him and as the ball rolls into touch, McCoist quite deliberately stamps on Levein's leg a la Sproule on Miko. Cant recall who was commentating - might have been Archie - but even the commentator says "What has got into McCoist"

Referee's verdict on what would today be a straight red and media outcry ?? Free kick. No sending off, not even a booking.

GC

P.S. Also saw a cracking volleyed goal by Tosh McKinley against the sheep. Anyone recall that one ?

If I remember correctly, was this not one of Levein's first games back after his knee injury?

I could be wrong about that, but I do remember the incident.

McCoist is a charlatan.

Goodmorningmrfisherman
Sure it was top deck only boys. For a few years, going there, we always got the top deck.

The Copland stand, at the east end of the stadium, was completed in 1979 and originally accommodated 7,500 spectators (later increased to around 8,000). It is traditionally the 'Rangers end' of the ground, and the team normally chooses to shoot towards that end in the second half of matches. An identical stand - the Broomloan - was completed in 1980 at the western end of the ground

Guess in that case, I overstated the amount we took that night, I'd guess around 5thou would be more on the mark.

It was the top deck only, iirc the rangers fans downstairs had a strange smell of pie and bovril coming off them.

Depending on the game and the size of the crowd sometimes we would be in the bottom.

The Tosh goal was about October/Nov 1989 I think.

We won 3-1.

Buffalo Bill

And a double from Crabbe:cool:

If I remember correctly, was this not one of Levein's first games back after his knee injury?

I could be wrong about that, but I do remember the incident.

McCoist is a charlatan.

I seem to recall one of Levein's first game back against the Gers right enough, but it was Tynecastle.... I'm sure he got his studs stuck in the ground at the touchline, and went off... never to be seen again ?.... probably haverin.... usually am !

Walter Bishop

I remeber being at a game in the lower tier around 1988? Drinkell and Sterland scored twice, we got pumped 4-0. My wee sister (6 at the time) got hit with a old 10p:eek: on the back of the napper!!!

We won 3-1.

Buffalo Bill

Indeed it was BB - you've either got a very good memory or *whisper it* you looked it up on londonhearts.com.

However, I for one am happy to give you the benefit of the doubt.;);)

Cracking goal mind

GC

Doctor FinnBarr

GC

If I can remember correctly, McCoist stamped on him not once but twice in that game!:eek:

GC

Paranoid!!!

So they say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lost in leith

We won 3-1.

Buffalo Bill

Remember it well - first weekend away after the bairn was born. One of my mates was living in Aberdeen at the time and had a party that night - we might have mentioned the game to the locals once or twice :P

The Huns game we defo only had the top section, but as NT says it was mobbed. I remember standing at the back on a wall. Was that not about the time you could win a house in Cameron Toll ? St Mirren quarter final ?

Midfield Terrier

GC

Would there be a red card and outcry though? I suspect the press would be bending over backwards to justify it. Paranoid? Maybe but after seeing Webster elbow himself in the face, according to Martin O'Neil, or Pressley being kicked by Lennon as he was in the vicinity of the ball, which made it ok, in Andy Walkers eyes I can't really imagine there being much of an outcry about an Old Firm players poor conduct.

We won 3-1.

Buffalo Bill

Remember it well as it was my 1st trip to Pittodrie. My dad took us up in the car with my brother and his mate. Cracking game and good support.

But mainly remember it as on the road home the rainbow hearts bus smashed into the back of our motor (lovely red lada too!!) and wrote it off. They did give us a lift home on the bus though and a free badge!

p.s LJ any chance of uploading the game to youtube?

Well remember that goal from Tosh - we won 3-1 - we stayed the night in Aberdeen, saw Sportscene highlights in a pub behind Union St - Gabriels? - agreed beforehand that when we saw the Hearts goals we would keep quiet - then we saw THAT goal, went mental, luckily the native woolies took it ok, we lived!

Nelly Terraces

In reponse to the 'how many we took to Ibronx in '82 debate, here's a reply from a mate of mine whose followed Hearts for years, but doesn't come on here - and was there that night (Walter Kidd, you will know this man very well;) from back in the day):

Apologies for the delay but was out most of the afternoon.

Yes we only got top deck. Think we took 6,000 through. Changed days when we can?t even sell out 800 tickets. Mind you the club overrun with plums who infest jkb

Cheers.

NT

Seymour M Hersh
In reponse to the 'how many we took to Ibronx in '82 debate, here's a reply from a mate of mine whose followed Hearts for years, but doesn't come on here - and was there that night (Walter Kidd, you will know this man very well;) from back in the day):

Apologies for the delay but was out most of the afternoon.

Yes we only got top deck. Think we took 6,000 through. Changed days when we can?t even sell out 800 tickets. Mind you the club overrun with plums who infest jkb

Cheers.

NT

I resent being called a plum!! :P

Guest Prentice
Well remember that goal from Tosh - we won 3-1 - we stayed the night in Aberdeen, saw Sportscene highlights in a pub behind Union St - Gabriels? - agreed beforehand that when we saw the Hearts goals we would keep quiet - then we saw THAT goal, went mental, luckily the native woolies took it ok, we lived!

That was the first time I'd i can recall hearing the Europe song at an away game.

The away end was rocking that day.

GC

I remember both games actually. The one at Ibrox is just typical of our experiences in that fixture - if it's the same game we're thinking about the goal by Mo Johnston was a good few yards offside as well.

Archived