Digital Cameras

Alan_R

JKB my port of call as ever.

Can anyone recommend me a digital camera?

Want a decent one. At least 8mp i'd say. Budget is around ?50 but if I can find one for less even better.

I have memory cards so won't need them just the camera.

thanks in advance.

JKB my port of call as ever.

Can anyone recommend me a digital camera?

Want a decent one. At least 8mp i'd say. Budget is around ?50 but if I can find one for less even better.

I have memory cards so won't need them just the camera.

thanks in advance.

You won't get a decent one for ?50.

You won't get a decent one for ?50.

Jessops has a Fuji 8mp for ?49.99. I was just wanting to see what other options people might come up with.

In honesty I don't mind spending a bit more if it is significantly better. any suggestions?

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Depends on what you're going to use the camera for as to how much you want to spend

The cheaper the digital camera, the slower the circuitry tends to be. This becomes apparent when you "capture the moment slightly after the moment". You press the button and 1 sec later it takes the shot. Particularly annoying if you are trying to take pictures of young kids.

The more money you spend the better (and faster) the electronics are.

I just bought myself one of these http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/r/panasonic-dmc-fx-37?srcid=198&mctag=uk_16067 to go along side my digital SLR I use for work and it's the cats tits. Picture quality is amazing with a raft of useful functions. Anything with a Leica or Zeiss lens is going to be alright

Brian Whittaker's Tache

That looks pretty good for the dough

Doesnt tell you what type of batteries though

Lithium (L-ion) or Nickel (NiMH) are best

Avoid any that just take standard batteries

I'm not looking for anything too fancy. Taking it on holiday just for a few snaps. It'll get shoved in my pocket and could well get battered about.

Depends on what you're going to use the camera for as to how much you want to spend

The cheaper the digital camera, the slower the circuitry tends to be. This becomes apparent when you "capture the moment slightly after the moment". You press the button and 1 sec later it takes the shot. Particularly annoying if you are trying to take pictures of young kids.

I'm not going to ask! :eek:

I'm not looking for anything too fancy. Taking it on holiday just for a few snaps. It'll get shoved in my pocket and could well get battered about.

Some of these cameras are bigger than you think.

Also - why do you want 8mp if you're only taking snaps ?

I'd suggest looking for something with a bigger optical zoom (as opposed to digital). The standard x3 lenses are a waste of time.

I got an Olympus FE330 from Tesco a few months ago for about ?85 and if you shop around you might still be able to get it on offer (usually price is around ?115). It's smart , slimline (it easily fits in a shirt pocket) and has a x5 zoom lens. It's 8mp and has L-ion batteries.

Some of these cameras are bigger than you think.

Also - why do you want 8mp if you're only taking snaps ?

I'd suggest looking for something with a bigger optical zoom (as opposed to digital). The standard x3 lenses are a waste of time.

I got an Olympus FE330 from Tesco a few months ago for about ?85 and if you shop around you might still be able to get it on offer (usually price is around ?115). It's smart , slimline (it easily fits in a shirt pocket) and has a x5 zoom lens. It's 8mp and has L-ion batteries.

Pocket of a ski jacket. As long as the camera isn't huge it should fit in no problem.

To be honest i don't know alot about cameras. maybe 5mp or even 3mp will be fine then? I don't want anything too expensive yet I want it to take a few snaps that are of decent quality. Just for memories sake and to share with people once I'm back.

Generic Username
Pocket of a ski jacket. As long as the camera isn't huge it should fit in no problem.

To be honest i don't know alot about cameras. maybe 5mp or even 3mp will be fine then? I don't want anything too expensive yet I want it to take a few snaps that are of decent quality. Just for memories sake and to share with people once I'm back.

?49 for a 9mp digital camera in argos, just been advertised on the telly box.

Carl Spackler

BWT is quite right. The speed is the thing. The number of mega-pixels is really not such a critical factor.

A full resolution picture from an 8 mega pixel camera can't be viewed on the vast majority of monitors at 100% size and very few people print the images to a really large size. If you are cropping images (or using digital zoom which is really the same thing) then it has advantages but that's about it I would say.

Suspect Device

for holiday snaps you cant go far wrong with a Casio Exilim - small camera, easily fits in pocket, 8mp and a large screen, Amazon have it for about ?80

i've got the older one (5mp) but it takes great pics, use it for all hols - takes pretty good videos too.

for holiday snaps you cant go far wrong with a Casio Exilim - small camera, easily fits in pocket, 8mp and a large screen, Amazon have it for about ?80

i've got the older one (5mp) but it takes great pics, use it for all hols - takes pretty good videos too.

any idea where i could pick up a 5mp. as it will be significantly cheaper and probably do the job.

As long as it doesn't turn out to be huge think I'm going to go for this:

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/75160/show.html

good camera? worth the cash?

Archived