Scottish Hall of Some Infame - Derek Johnstone??

Hearts Heritage

Hearts Heritage

Just been looking at the latest 8 inductees.

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Scottish-football-welcomes-eight-new.4699460.jp

Derek Johnstone? One of the 40 best ever Scottish footballers? I don't think even the hardest blue nose would have him in the 40 best Rangers players.

And as much as John Thomson suffered a tragic death should he be in ahead of someone like Harry Rennie? Bizarrely the Scotsman says "His career was cut tragically short when he collided with Rangers striker Sam English and suffered a depression of the skull in 1931". Don't they know he died because of it?

And still no Bobby Walker. :(

Derek Johnstone? One of the 40 best ever Scottish footballers? I don't think even the hardest blue nose would have him in the 40 best Rangers players.

And as much as John Thomson suffered a tragic death should he be in ahead of someone like Harry Rennie? Bizarrely the Scotsman says "His career was cut tragically short when he collided with Rangers striker Sam English and suffered a depression of the skull in 1931". Don't they know he died because of it?

Agree that DJ is a strange one. Less surprised about Thomson, given his achievements in a short time and the circumstances of his death. But no Bobby Walker is a disgrace. How many Scots players ever have been widely acknowledged to be the greatest player in Europe in their time?

How many Scots players ever have been widely acknowledged to be the greatest player in Europe in their time?

Paul McStay of course! :eek:

Buffalo Bill

Jam Tarts 1874

To be honest, I can understand why he is in. He scored lots of goals for Rangers during a very sucessful period for them. Things like being one of their top goal-scorers during back to back trebles in the mid-seventies and being part of their Cup Winners Cup side probably swayed a few of those who voted. Didn't do much for Scotland though.

alwaysthereinspirit
Paul McStay of course! :eek:

Buffalo Bill

Paul McStay. The Barry Ferguson of yesteryear.

So overated you'd think his Mum was writing the Sunday sports section.

Can we start some sort of campaign, or is there one on the go already?

Who decides the hall of fame inductees?

alwaysthereinspirit
Can we start some sort of campaign, or is there one on the go already?

Who decides the hall of fame inductees?

Gordon Smith was this years judge. It's a different ex OF player every year.

Hardly, Johnstone was an outstanding player for the Huns when Jock Wallace was their manager, both as a centre half and as a centre forward. I remember Cruickie making several world class saves from his headers and shots in a 1-1 draw circa October 1974, and Jock Wallace describing it as the best display of goalkeeping he ever saw.

His career went south when Greig took over and let him mess about.

Does anyone remember when Derek Johnstone and Jim Craig used to present Saturday Sportscene?

I think they were trying to fashion themselves as the Scottish 'Saint and Greavesie' but they ended up looking like a couple of extras from River City.

Buffalo Bill

Seymour M Hersh

Did anyone scroll down to the comments? Just a forum for infirm lowlife to have a go at each other. A Scotland story! Please let them leave our league and go elsewhere. It's all I want for Christmas.

To be honest, I can understand why he is in. He scored lots of goals for Rangers during a very sucessful period for them. Things like being one of their top goal-scorers during back to back trebles in the mid-seventies and being part of their Cup Winners Cup side probably swayed a few of those who voted. Didn't do much for Scotland though.

SAF didn't rate him and refused to take him to Argentina for the world cup IIRC.

Does anyone remember when Derek Johnstone and Jim Craig used to present Saturday Sportscene?

I think they were trying to fashion themselves as the Scottish 'Saint and Greavesie' but they ended up looking like a couple of extras from River City.

Buffalo Bill

Hey!! My wife's an extra in River City!!:embarassed:

Robbos Right Peg

I suggested a Hearts player with a very unique achievement as far as the SFA were concerned a couple of years ago. David Taylor was in charge at the time and was coming round to my way of thinking (Hall of Fame at least). But then that clown Smith took over and despite a couple of letters I have not even had the courtesy of a reply.

Suffice to say I will not miss the wee **** when he turns up at the Shareholders meeting in February next year.

Archived