The Wind That Shakes the Barley

Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

About half-way through on Film 4 just now - A very good film about the conflict and struggle leading to the Anglo-Irish treaty. It was criminally under-released back in 2006. It has a few flaws here and there, mainly how Loach's Iraq parallels are explored, especially as I don't know if those comparisons are valid.

Anyone else seen this film? I was thinking of going to see Hunger this week, but I've heard that it's a bit voyeuristic and empty. Thoughts?

Interesting I would say too. Seeing as a fair bit of that stuff happened around where I'm based now it's pretty interesting seeing the actual places where Michael Collins etc planned everything.

Ultimately it's a bit imbalanced but good.

Doctor FinnBarr
About half-way through on Film 4 just now - A very good film about the conflict and struggle leading to the Anglo-Irish treaty. It was criminally under-released back in 2006. It has a few flaws here and there, mainly how Loach's Iraq parallels are explored, especially as I don't know if those comparisons are valid.

Anyone else seen this film? I was thinking of going to see Hunger this week, but I've heard that it's a bit voyeuristic and empty. Thoughts?

Watched it on Film4 last week, good film but prob a tad biased I think. Just my view tho!

:eek:

Interesting I would say too. Seeing as a fair bit of that stuff happened around where I'm based now it's pretty interesting seeing the actual places where Michael Collins etc planned everything.

"They wouldn't shoot me in my own county."

Doctor FinnBarr
"They wouldn't shoot me in my own county."

And they did!

:107years:

It's a few years ago now, but I once sat in a pub in Slateford and had a very interesting conversation with someone who had served in the Auxiliaries ( Black and Tans). The stories he told at that time were a bit different from the slant put on things by that particular film. I suppose though that during that particular conflict there were atrocities committed by both sides.

Having said that, the the Wind that Shakes the Barley is an excellent film.

I went to see the wind that shakes the Barley at the cameo with a few Irish friends and we all absolutely loved it, great film but it obviously seemed to resonate more with them than me. The scene where the IRA members emerge from the mist singing "what shall we do with the drunken sailor" in Gaelic on their way to set up an ambush had my mates stamping their feet in a packed cinema! And my flatmate at the time from Dublin emerged with tears on his face after the film had finished shuch wa the impact on him.

A far far superior film to Michael Collins

Hunger is ok, but very slow moving. Doesn't try to be overtly political in any way (it in fact misplaces the murder of a prison warder in order to be balanced) and is essentially a tale of the dispute from within the Maze, shown in the most part from the point of view of republicans. They fairly gloss over the most significant part of the hunger strike, Sands' election as it is relegated to a footnote.

Some Mothers Son is probably better.

For the Irish on here, what's a 'langer'? I'd like to say that's how it's spelt but I'm probably wrong.

I work beside 2 Irish people and the guy (from Dublin) keeps calling the Irish lass (from cork) a langer. Neither of those ***** will tell me what it means, but she seems to get offended every time he calls her it.

My friend from Cork told me that to call someone a langer is akin to calling them a ******, but in a trans-gender way.

Interesting, but I suspect your friend from Cork is winding you up a tad.

Most blokes will cope with being called a langer, although it's meaning is a bit derogatory. Women won't like it at all, and no self-respecting Cork person would tolerate a Dubliner using the term. Oh, and it doesn't help that in Dublin (but not in Cork), "langer" is a slang word for "penis".

Ask the Cork people to explain the terms:

Supitcha?

Fifty

Jag

And ask have they ever heard of "The Flying Bottle".

Or ask the Dubliner to explain the terms

Mot's crossbar

Geebag

You have your glue

That'll keep them quiet for a while.

Interesting, but I suspect your friend from Cork is winding you up a tad.

Most blokes will cope with being called a langer, although it's meaning is a bit derogatory. Women won't like it at all, and no self-respecting Cork person would tolerate a Dubliner using the term. Oh, and it doesn't help that in Dublin (but not in Cork), "langer" is a slang word for "penis".

Could also be that Cork folk don't like the Jackeens in any case!

It was a 'she' that told me of the term. It is tricky to properly translate such terms anyway, as you say, Irish folk seem to adopt different meanings depending on their geography.

Archived