R.I.P Bert Renton

JamboAl

Bert died last week and was a long-time, or should I say lifetime, Jambo who was for a period the HMFC photographer. Condolences to his family.

Absolutely. Bert was a great old guy, a lifelong Jambo and as you say the official club photographer at one point. He was also Jim Jeffries' football coach and I'm sure it was a special day for Bert when Jim popped round fpr a cup of tea in 1998 with the Scottish Cup in his hands!

RIP Bert

Absolutely. Bert was a great old guy, a lifelong Jambo and as you say the official club photographer at one point. He was also Jim Jeffries' football coach and I'm sure it was a special day for Bert when Jim popped round fpr a cup of tea in 1998 with the Scottish Cup in his hands!

RIP Bert

I remember that story...RIP Bert

Nelly Terraces

Didn't know him, but very sad to hear of a fellow fans passing.

My condolences to family and friends.

RIP Bert.

I visited Bert a couple of times at the end of last year. He very kindly gave me a box of his old negatives from games in the 80's/90's to scan of which I've hardly scratched the surface there are so many. He also gave me his Willie Bauld calender from 2007 which must have been right up there with his favoured treasures such was his love for "The King."

I enjoyed his stories particularly the one about him skipping school, pre-floodlight days to watch a cup replay at 2pm on a Wednesday afternoon. He got the fright of his life as he heard "RENTON" form behind him and turned round to face his Headmaster from Preston Lodge. Needless to say, he heard no more about it!

Unfortunately given his poor health for most of 2008 I'd never been able to show him the CD I made up of some of his pics and also some my own which I took at East Stirling v Preston for the East Lothian Courier. I'm sure Bert would have been as chuffed as me to see them printed.

There is a service for Bert at Prestongrange tomorrow (Wed 19th) at 2pm followed by a very private cremation. A great man and a true Jambo, even to the extent of holding his breath crossing Easter Road as any bus he was on travelled along London Road.

RIP Bert

Some of his old photos are on my bebo page. http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbum.jsp?MemberId=4807315690&PhotoNbr=1&PhotoAlbumId=6412836277

Bert was a genuinely nice man. He was involved with Prestonpans Hearts Supporters Club (PHSC) for many a long year. We did not see quite as much of him in the last year of his life, due to his increasing ill-health. He was a real character and always had a story to tell to keep us all amused. He coached Prestonpans YMCA for a long time and I certainly recall that Eddie Colquhoun, Jim Jefferies and Alfie Conn Junior all played at one time while Bert was the boss. Bert was a great photographer and like Shaggy 2 I am proud to say that I have a number of pictures that Bert gave to me some time ago. He will be sadly missed at PHSC. An abiding funny memory is Bert's insistence that each year, at the Club's AGM, where the members are treated to one free alcoholic refreshment, he would always propose a motion to refuse the offer. He seldom got a seconder to his proposal! Finally, a number of years ago, in recognition to his work for the Club, Bert recieved an honorary title of 'Life Member' of PHSC. Sadly that ends with the news of his passing. We will all miss him.

I grew up in the same street as Bert in the middle Pans and as a young lad coming home from away games with the Musselburgh branch I was asked to get him chips while he went for a pint, it was always a white pudding supper nane o that foreign muck he used to say. He was the bus steward with the Musselburgh club when he went through the bus window at the top of London road on the way to Ibrox when we won one nil. I had to go down to his mums that night to recall to him how Tommy Murray sat on the ball before crossing it over for Ford to score.

He was a founder member of the Pans Hearts and hope him and another founder member Taber who we also lost this year meet up in a better place to discuss old times.

RIP Bert

John Montgomery
I grew up in the same street as Bert in the middle Pans and as a young lad coming home from away games with the Musselburgh branch I was asked to get him chips while he went for a pint, it was always a white pudding supper nane o that foreign muck he used to say. He was the bus steward with the Musselburgh club when he went through the bus window at the top of London road on the way to Ibrox when we won one nil. I had to go down to his mums that night to recall to him how Tommy Murray sat on the ball before crossing it over for Ford to score.

He was a founder member of the Pans Hearts and hope him and another founder member Taber who we also lost this year meet up in a better place to discuss old times.

RIP Bert

Good post Hamish. Story about the white pudding supper sounds like Bert. I was just writing a post talking about him being a member of our club when I thought I would check for other posts, saw yours and had to rewrite mine. My brother Jim and another member Jim Robinson were recalling the incident in London Road last night. Bert was also Vice Chairman of our club for a couple of years in the early seventies.

I recall another time I went to an away match with him and Eddie Colquhoun's brother but maybe shouldn't put it in writing as it involves drink and driving.

Can yourself, Alan or any other member of the Pans club pass on the condolences of myself and our members to members of your club and Berts family. Unfortunately I will not be able to get to his funeral.

RIP Bert.

John

Nice turn out for Bert today,good to see Jim Jeffries and Gary MacKay there as well.

Also a great touch from Davie Allan,the old PL head master and friend of Berts,giving us a nice wee insight into Berts past life.

RIP Bert

Still going to have a free pint at the AGMs though.

Bert had 2 ex Hearts managers there at his funeral Jim Jefferies and John Haggart it says soething about the man more than I can.

Archived