R.I.P Jamie

MackaysCentreSpot

MackaysCentreSpot

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Man-dies-after-choking-.4700042.jp

A YOUNG spina bifida sufferer, dubbed "Mr Cheery" by his family, has died after choking on a piece of food.

Jamie MacDougall, from Loanhead, had spent much of his short life helping others.

Relatives said that despite being in a wheelchair since he was a child, the 29-year-old never let disability hold him back.

His father, Ian MacDougall, 59, said: "Jamie will be missed by many.

"He travelled the world in his short life. It was quite difficult at times, but he just got on with it. He was prepared to take it on and he never complained.

"He was interested in life, generally, and he had a real respect for folk."

Jamie became seriously ill after choking on a piece of fish last Tuesday. It is believed his brain was starved of oxygen and he slipped into a coma. He was placed in intensive care.

His sister Jill, 33, flew home from Australia, where she has worked as a venue manager for the last four years, to be by his side with the rest of his family. He died on Thursday.

Jamie's main passion in life was football. While his mother and sister are diehard Hibs fans, Jamie was a Jambo like his dad.

Mr MacDougall said: "He was a season ticket holder at Hearts. He was also the founding member of the Hearts Disabled Supporters Club and a member of Danderhall Hearts Supporters Club.

"I think he'd been at every Scottish football ground. He loved the social side and the guys would take him on the supporters' bus, then for a few pints before the game."

Jamie followed his beloved Hearts throughout Scotland and travelled around Europe supporting the Scottish national side.

His mother, Joyce MacDougall, 57, said: "He has had a good life; short, but good. He was a very brave, courageous young man."

He had undergone many operations and spent much of his childhood in Edinburgh's Sick Kids hospital.

Paying tribute to her younger brother, Jill said: "He was just Mr Cheery. He lit up a room. He was all about the chat and the banter, and he had a wicked sense of humour."

After leaving Gray's Mill School at the age of 18, Jamie developed an interest in Country and Western music and was a member of Crofters Country Music Club in Loanhead, Texas Rangers in Bilston and Ponderosa in Liberton. He worked on the door, ran raffles and even did a sponsored wheelchair dance to raise funds.

Described by his mother as a "people person", Jamie developed a wide social network through use of his CB radio, speaking to anyone who would listen using the handle "Lonewolf," before moving on to computers and social networking sites where he had almost 300 online contacts.

Jamie also found time to volunteer at the cafe at the Thistle Foundation and with elderly people in Craigmillar, help out with an IT group at Edinburgh University and work one day a week at Ikea.

He was also a member of Loanhead Bowling Club, where fellow members recently raised enough money to buy him a special wheelchair so he could get on to the green next season, and he joined friends at Loanhead Miners Welfare Club every Sunday.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had the pleasure of meeting Jamie and I the thing I remember about him is his massive smile.

Sounds like he made the most of his life, despite his invalidity. People like him are an inspiration when we selfishly moan about our own lives.... puts things into perspective.

never knew Jamie, knew of him through the CB in my younger days, also seen him at many a hearts game, also when he was attending the texas rangers country and western night in my local miners. sad story.

RIP Jamie

As the current bus convenor of Danderhall Hearts, i can say that Jamie will be sadly missed, he travelled on the bus to most away games with his dad Ian, and even sometimes with someone off the bus if his dad couldn't go, he was a great lad, loved a laugh and a bit of banter and never seemed to let his disability get him down, he was Hearts through and through, and even when we were poor he always found something positive.

sincerest condolences to Ian and his family, Jamie may you rest in peace

Stuart

Met Jamie and his dad when we were in Europe for the Mallorca game, many years ago, he had a wicked sense of humour and was a great laugh, will be sorely missed

RIP Jamie

Guest jambomickey

very sad news, used to go on the danderhall bus a few years ago when i stayed in bonnyrigg! he was a good young lad with a very good sense of humour. r.i.p jamie

1 Willie Gibson

Never knew Jamie to talk to but me exchanged happy faces or naffed off looks if we were beaten as I walked out the Gorgie Stand.

RIP young man

Knew Jamie slightly through a mutual friend a few years back. A really cracking wee guy and a good jambo. Was shocked when i saw the story in the Evening News, i know he was extremely popular and will be greatly missed by many many people.

RIP Jamie and my deepest condolences to Ian and family.

Very sad to hear when someone like Jamie who gave so much to others in the face of so much adversity passes. Just glad to hear he done so much with so little time.

RIP Jamie thoughts go to the family.

Me and my 3 mates drank with Jamie and Ian every Sunday night, and have done for the last 11 years. The Wee man was a one off, never never did he ever complain ( apart from giving pelters to Roman Romanov, but that's aloud! ), all he done was chat and laugh. A true Jambo and a true friend, Our thought's are with Ian, Joyce and Jill,

RIP, HHGH

Nelly Terraces

A complete tragedy. A lady at my work knew him through a club he was a member of. Sounded like a special character, who never let his disability get him down, or define the person he was.

Rest in peace mate. My condolences to his family, and numerous friends.

Knew of Jamie for a number of years, We were both of the same age and both raised in Loanhead.

Condolences to the family.

Rest in peace wee guy.

John Montgomery

Can I just echo everything said here.

Like Suzi Jambo I flew to Mallorca for the Cup Winners Cup game in 1998 with Ian and Jamie.

To 1 Wille Gibson I bet he even had a bit of a cheery face when he gave you the 'naffed off' look.

Condolences to Ian and his family.

RIP Jamie

Sincere condolences to Ian, Joyce and Family, great guy Jamie on the few times I spoke to him and his Dad in the Gorgie Stand.

condolences to all the family... grew up in the same street as them. Can recall his mum and sister trying to re-decorate his room in hibs colours when his dad was out. A truly wonderful guy, so happy, and such a gent. xxx

Archived