Anyone been to Sunderland

BASIL_HEARTS

I noticed in recent threads some jambos in here go down south and follow likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Sunderland.

Well in 13th December i'am going to Sunderland vs West Brom down at the Stadium of Light. Anyone ever been down there or anyone else going there the same day? If so where is best boozers to go to ?

cheers

scottish_chicP

I went down last season to a Sunderland v Everton game. We went to a pub opposite the ground (can't remember what it is called.) But they had a beer tent outside and it was a very good atmosphere. This was obvioulsy when it was warmer in the summer.

i like a place with a good atmosphere but i want to go to a pub where i can actually get served and move about.

been a few times, your best bet is to drink in newcastle then get the metro down to the ground....sunderland is a dump and the pubs are mince.

Nucky Thompson
I noticed in recent threads some jambos in here go down south and follow likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Sunderland.

Well in 13th December i'am going to Sunderland vs West Brom down at the Stadium of Light. Anyone ever been down there or anyone else going there the same day? If so where is best boozers to go to ?

cheers

The boozers are fine in Sunderland. When you come out of the train station onto the shopping precinct, walk right along to the end of it and there are a few boozers on the left hand side. Idols was one of the best Pre match boozers I've been to but it was shut down and moved somewhere nearby. Just ask one of the locals where Idols strippers and comedian have moved to:)

I went down last season to a Sunderland v Everton game. We went to a pub opposite the ground (can't remember what it is called.) But they had a beer tent outside and it was a very good atmosphere. This was obvioulsy when it was warmer in the summer.

The one opposite the stadium is the wheatsheaf (or maybe the wheatfield!). There are plenty decent boozers and most of them are packed to the rafters with red and white stripes! Decent atmosphere in the stadium as well to be fair! Town centre is quality for a night out afterwards as well.

Went down for the Sunderland vs Liverpool game.

Had a couple of light refreshments in the Howards Arms before and after the game, plus one before and at half time inside (I wish we could do that at Tynie).

The inside of their ground has basically replaced their food stalls with lots of bars!

Surely we could get the same at Tynie - perhaps with the bars closed for the Celtic, Rangers, and Hibs games, where there might be a (small) risk of trouble?

Newcastle is a fair stretch away on the metro, but it's manageable. The Stadium of Light is, unusually for new stadiums, quite close to the city centre and you can easily walk there and back. I got the train down, changed to the metro and was in Sunderland before midday after leaving Edinburgh about 9.

Sunderland itself is a god-awful place. The bars are all fairly packed on home game day and you probably will struggle to find one that is markedly better than the others. I was there for the Middlesborough game so the city was rammed with police in all their various guises, armed, dogs, video, riot etc etc. It may be different for non-NE teams or it may be the same for all.

Cappuccino Kid
The boozers are fine in Sunderland. When you come out of the train station onto the shopping precinct, walk right along to the end of it and there are a few boozers on the left hand side. Idols was one of the best Pre match boozers I've been to but it was shut down and moved somewhere nearby. Just ask one of the locals where Idols strippers and comedian have moved to:)

Wee Philllie (comedian) is now at The Glass Spider on green terrace i believe.

True story - Had a couple of nights oot in S'land when I stayed in Durham 91/92. The local lads all bought cans or bottles in Idols, not pints, since at the time all the barmaids wore swimsuits and were constantly 'readjusting' themselves, so with all the STD's they had it was thought safer that they weren't manhandling your pint glass (ooh err)!

P.S. Durham is full of durty slappers that love Scottish accents. ;)

Been down to the stadium of light a few times. There used to be a supporters bus from Midcalder picking up a small contingent from Stirling at Haymarket and a few other Edinburgh lads. The Alec Hall Branch was the name of the bus. No longer running. Good times.

Often drank in the Wheatsheaf. However according the the resident Makem in my work nobody drinks there anymore because they got busted for not paying the pub sky tv license!

Nice, friendly town and a great ground to visit. If you are going by car you can park in an industrial estate not far from the motorway turn off and there is a free bus provided by the local council into the town centre.

The best pub as others have said is the one just over from the ground. They are a friendly bunch, even for away supporters (like myself), and the banter was great when I went. I had a great time there and they are far more welcoming than their barcode neighbours.

As with other English football grounds you can drink inside too. You'll really enjoy it.

Nucky Thompson
True story - Had a couple of nights oot in S'land when I stayed in Durham 91/92. The local lads all bought cans or bottles in Idols, not pints, since at the time all the barmaids wore swimsuits and were constantly 'readjusting' themselves, so with all the STD's they had it was thought safer that they weren't manhandling your pint glass (ooh err)!

P.S. Durham is full of durty slappers that love Scottish accents. ;)

Typical Mackems thinking you can catch a dose from a pint glass:)

Get yourself in the ground before kick off .... beers in the ground.

Good stadium, but you have chosen a god awful match have you not ... it has 0-0 written all over it.

Saying that .... you will have a good time down there it is premiership football at the end of the day ....

every house down there looks like something from coronation street ... don't take your car as like glasgow all the neds ask to " look after it " for you.

Get yourself in the ground before kick off .... beers in the ground.

Good stadium, but you have chosen a god awful match have you not ... it has 0-0 written all over it.

Saying that .... you will have a good time down there it is premiership football at the end of the day ....

every house down there looks like something from coronation street ... don't take your car as like glasgow all the neds ask to " look after it " for you.

I can't see it being 0-0 i think its a game Sunderland should be looking to get a few past a poor west brom team. Thanks for all the pub shouts. Will probably take the easiest choice just outside ground then leave early for the inside refreshments. Can anybody confirm the cost inside the stadium? cheers

Archived