Jim Cruikshank - appearances for Scotland

Craig Herbertson

Craig Herbertson

I've been trying to sort out a wikipedia article for the great man- it is almost immediately under threat of deletion. Does anyone know exactly when and how many times the great man was capped for Scotland. All I can remember is too few and friendlies. Proving his Scotland record would ensure the article remains.

Cruickie went from strength to strength with Hearts and he won his first cap for Scotland in 1964 against West Germany. Inexplicably, given the great man’s talent, Cruickshank would be capped only five more times for Scotland. Inexplicably? Well, there’s no doubt in this writer’s mind that if Cruickie had played for either of the Old Firm he’d have had at least fifty caps. And he almost did – soon after Hearts had sold star striker Willie Wallace to Celtic, Jock Stein had his eye on Cruickshank as a replacement for the ageing Ronnie Simpson. When, after another row with the Hearts manager – Johnny Harvey had by now taken over from Tommy Walker – Cruickshank was dropped to the reserves to make way for Kenny Garland, it seemed the goalie was Parkhead bound. But, thankfully, Jock Stein didn’t pursue his interest and Cruickie remained at Tynecastle until the end of his career, although his petulant nature meant he wasn’t always first choice!

With Cruickshank in the team, Hearts lost the league championship in agonising fashion to Kilmarmock on the last day of the 1964/65 season. Killie had to win the last game – against Hearts at Tynecastle - by two clear goals to snatch the title from their rivals. A numbed Hearts support watched in disbelief as Killie duly won 2-0, amid stories that the Hearts players weren’t at all happy about their win bonuses. More disappointment followed for Cruickshank and Hearts when they lost the 1968 Scottish Cup final 3-1 to Dunfermline Athletic although this came the year after Cruickie’s heroics against Hibs at Tynecastle when he made an astonishing triple save from a penalty taken by Hibs Joe Davis. Those who witnessed that exceptional piece of goalkeeping still talk about it to this day.

As the 1970s beckoned, Hearts were on a downward spiral but Jim Cruickshank continued to excel in goal. Indeed, it’s fair to say that had it not been for the likes of Cruickie, Eddie Thomson, Alan Anderson and Donald Ford, Hearts may well have fallen from the top flight of Scottish football sooner than they did. 1976 was to prove a landmark year for the Hearts goalie. He made another Scottish Cup final appearance but Hearts were woefully outclassed by a treble chasing Rangers side and lost 3-1. The last of Cruickshank’s six Scotland caps also came that year when he faced Roumania and by now Jim’s place in the Hearts team was under threat from a young keeper called Brian Wilson. Cruickie did play in the European Cup Winners Cup tie in Leipzig which Hearts lost 2-0 and kept his place in the side for the return leg, which ended in a remarkable 5-1, win for the JTs. It’s unclear if Cruickie had had another of his ‘fall-outs’ with manager John Hagart but Brian Wilson was back in goal for the second round tie with SV Hamburg – which Hearts lost on an 8-3 aggregate. It was the writing on the wall for Cruickie’s Hearts career. John Hagart promised him a testimonial at the end of the season as a ‘thank you’ for seventeen years service to the club. Unfortunately, Hearts were relegated for the first time ever; Hagart was sacked and with the manager went Cruickie’s chance of the testimonial he so richly deserved.

From: http://www.freewebs.com/mikegsmith/heartslegends.htm

I've been trying to sort out a wikipedia article for the great man- it is almost immediately under threat of deletion. Does anyone know exactly when and how many times the great man was capped for Scotland. All I can remember is too few and friendlies. Proving his Scotland record would ensure the article remains.

Try this.

Craig Herbertson

Thanks, you're a star. That should keep his name in there with lesser folks. Its about time we had that testimonial too. The man is a legend

Hearts Heritage
Thanks, you're a star. That should keep his name in there with lesser folks. Its about time we had that testimonial too. The man is a legend

Really! You should know where to look first. :)

He won 6 Official and 5 Unofficial Caps

http://www.londonhearts.com/scotland/players/jamesferguscruickshank.html

Plus 3 SFL caps

http://www.londonhearts.com/SFL/players/jimcruickshank.html

Where is the article on Wikipedia? Cant see it.

Craig Herbertson

Me neither. I've written it but its entered some sort of speedy deletion category and I'm fighting to save it. Unfortunately, I' am clueless about their complicated procedures. I just wrote it because its a disgrace he's not mentioned when other are. Maybe its too early to appear yet.

Craig Herbertson

I looked in London Hearts and I saw six caps but I felt the wikipedia mafia might need more proof.Then I tired the Scottish site you gave but being a computer dumbo I couldn't find his name - even wrote to them. So, thanks again and those unofficial caps might have to go in as well

Also where is ROUMANIA ???

It was the English spelling for Romania until about the 80's.

jambos are go!
It was the English spelling for Romania until about the 80's.]

Your joking surely!. Unless you mean the 1880s or I was in a parallel universe when I studied geography in the 1960s.

More to the point . Mentioning Brian Wilson in the same article as Cruikie is inappropriate. Wilson was rose without trace and joined us on a Free Transfer from a lesser team IIRC. We found out why!!

Your joking surely!. Unless you mean the 1880s or I was in a parallel universe when I studied geography in the 1960s.

More to the point . Mentioning Brian Wilson in the same article as Cruikie is inappropriate. Wilson was rose without trace and joined us on a Free Transfer from a lesser team IIRC. We found out why!!

Hagart was obviously a Beach Boys fan

TAXEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

alwaysthereinspirit

Brian Wilson against Hamburg SV in 76 is still one of my worst Hearts memories.:eek:

I saw Cruikshank play for scotland against england at hampden.

I later got to know him quite well when he was the manager of a pub called Scotts in Rose Street.I was the local beat cop at the time....eleven beat).

I think he has spurned any talk of testimonials or benefits, like Willie Bauld he was scunnered at the way Hearts treated their servants.

I respect his opinion.

Be sure to record that Cruickie had three consecutive shut-outs for Scotland...a VERY rare achievement.

alwaysthereinspirit

I later got to know him quite well when he was the manager of a pub called Scotts in Rose Street.I was the local beat cop at the time....eleven beat).

I think he has spurned any talk of testimonials or benefits, like Willie Bauld he was scunnered at the way Hearts treated their servants.

I respect his opinion.

Wasn't there another Jambo involved in Scotts management?

Maybe Dave Clunie?

Wasn't there another Jambo involved in Scotts management?

Maybe Dave Clunie?

no clunie was the manager of the pub a hundred yards eastwards on the same side of the street it was called "olivers"

alwaysthereinspirit
no clunie was the manager of the pub a hundred yards eastwards on the same side of the street it was called "olivers"

Most Saturday nights I wouldn't have known East from West any how.:)

Laughing Duck

Jim can now be found holding the door at the sighthill surgery, he loves nothing better than a bit of banter, and talks of his dislike for the hearts, after the way he was treated, cannot blame the guy at all...:(

For the sake of accuracy in the original piece about him, was the triple penalty save not from Joe Baker, not Joe Davis?

Craig Herbertson

Cruikie had good reason to dislike Hearts and I don't blame him. The way he was treated at the time was scandalous. However, that doesn't take away from the fact that many of the older fans loved the guy and woud like to say thankyou to him in some formal way. There must be some way surely of conveying this without drawing him into forgiving his treatment at Hearts. The fans aren't the past board of directors who are possibly all playing directors games in the sky.

It is very sad that he now appears to detest Hearts.:( I was hoping to see a testimonial for him I was 11 when he made that triple save from the penalty from Joe Davis (Not Baker!). I was there and will never forget it or his Tommy Gemmell penalty save also at Gorgie Road end:)

I respect his opinion.

Fifteen night beat?

Craig Herbertson

I remember both the triple save and the penalty although I have a feeling I missed the celtic game. It was talked about for ages afterwards. In fact, sadly I'm still talking about it now. I'd love to see Cruikshank properly honoured by the fans

Cruikie had good reason to dislike Hearts and I don't blame him. The way he was treated at the time was scandalous. However, that doesn't take away from the fact that many of the older fans loved the guy and woud like to say thankyou to him in some formal way. There must be some way surely of conveying this without drawing him into forgiving his treatment at Hearts. The fans aren't the past board of directors who are possibly all playing directors games in the sky.

A collection, donation would be a great token gesture. Merchi Hearts???

Archived