SPL "Think Tank" / League reconstruction discussion

John Titor

IMO, a pyramid league structure is a must - at the bottom of the SFL leagues, there is no fear of relegation and nothing really to play for.

Why not restructure the whole thing so that a (possibly) better team from the likes of the Highland League can work their way up?

As has been mentioned before though - if the pyramid is geographically based, what happens if a team from the "south" gets relegated, but a team from the "north" wins promotion - there will be an uneven number of teams in the north/south divisions.

Does anyone know how they manage that with the Blue Square north/south?

With you all the way there.

Swap games against Rangers, Celtic and Hibs for encounters with Dunfermline, Dundee, and St Johnstone? No thanks.

Even though playing the OF 4 times a season,makes it harder for a team outwith the OF to win the league?

Playing them once home and away would create a more competitive league.

If this happened it would be chosen on the top four of the first division no doubt. But if we got to choose, mine would be.

St Johnstone

Partick Thistle

Dunfermline

Dundee

Evening up the East/West coast divide quite nicely!

I'd be happy with these four; away trips to St J and Partick highly recommended.

I think a home and away game against each of the old firm is more than enough for me.

I actually think with less points to lose against the old firm, the league would be tighter as other clubs (those that usually challenge for third) would be in with a shout, only needing to win a home macth against the old firm to be in with a real chance of splitting them.

FWIW, I would like to see Queen of the South (purely because SW Scotland is under-represented in top flight football) with Raith Rovers, St Johnstone and Dunfermline (clubs that have met SPL requirements but continue to run within their means) introduced.

That would still give Dundee, Partick Thistle, Airdrie United, Clyde, Livingston and Stirling Albion in the next tier with the potential and onfrastructure to challenge for top divison football.

If this happened it would be chosen on the top four of the first division no doubt. But if we got to choose, mine would be.

St Johnstone

Partick Thistle cant stand this lot!

Dunfermline

Dundee

Evening up the East/West coast divide quite nicely!

Instead of Partick, i would like to see Raith come back.

Btw it would be nice to see the dundee derby back, i always enjoyed the tussle between the two.

Even though playing the OF 4 times a season,makes it harder for a team outwith the OF to win the league?

Playing them once home and away would create a more competitive league.

I'm not convinced it would.

We had an 18-team top league until 1975. Rangers and Celtic were pretty much as dominant in that format as they are now.

I really hope this never happens!!! :xmasunsure: Personally I would rather play 3/4 times against OF and Hibs then 2 games against teams worse then Gretna and Hamilton!!

To answer the question; If it did happen I would go for a top team 1st division team in conjunction with best stadia and cash flow.

Might be unfair to a few teams thou.:xmascrazy:

I would love the league extended!

Only playing once home and away will make it all that more exciting! Not to mention i firmly believe the top 4 teams in the 1st division could cause a few upsets and do not bad themselves...

jamboinglasgow
IMO, a pyramid league structure is a must - at the bottom of the SFL leagues, there is no fear of relegation and nothing really to play for.

Why not restructure the whole thing so that a (possibly) better team from the likes of the Highland League can work their way up?

As has been mentioned before though - if the pyramid is geographically based, what happens if a team from the "south" gets relegated, but a team from the "north" wins promotion - there will be an uneven number of teams in the north/south divisions.

Does anyone know how they manage that with the Blue Square north/south?

i'm curious about that as well, does anyone know what happens in other countries?

Guest juvehearts

the whole of scottish football needs restructured IMO.

3 leagues with a pyrmid system in place like they do in Germany.

if it was to be 16 teams then they would have to be,

Dundee

Dunfermline

St Johnstone

QoS

You could add, Clyde, Raith & Partick Thistle in there also.

FWIW we would need a large sponcership deal along with TV rights & a major coperate deal for anything like this to happen.

its no good facing partick away with 6000 at the game, that im afraid is the SPL adverage 6000 or theirs about

only 5 clubs in scotland can get over 10k every week

The OF

Hearts

Hibs

Aberdeen

no-one else can come close, they all are about the same between 4-5k, its just not good enough to sustain Scottish Football, we would need these OF glory hunters to support their local teams instead of the bus loads that leave from villages from all over scotland to go down to see them play every week.

its all good winning a cup & finishing 3rd for a few games in european football every few seasons,

but we are an ambitious club we need to believe that we can every season win the league, but with the biggot sisters dominating scottish football then everyone has no chance,

the only & i mean the only way for this to ever go ahead is to break away from the pair & start up our own league with every other club bar them, that way thwy will have no where to go & have to bow in to pressure.

only 5 clubs in scotland can get over 10k every week

The OF

Hearts

Hibs

Aberdeen

no-one else can come close, they all are about the same between 4-5k, its just not good enough to sustain Scottish Football, we would need these OF glory hunters to support their local teams instead of the bus loads that leave from villages from all over scotland to go down to see them play every week.

I think that's where the problem is. Can you see the likes of Motherwell or Killie voting for a league set up that only gives them two big paydays on the gate against the OF instead of four?

It would be great for the teams that yoyo between the SPL and First because they'd be guaranteed some big cash gates, but the established SPL teams outside of the five you mentioned would lose cash out of it.

I think that's where the problem is. Can you see the likes of Motherwell or Killie voting for a league set up that only gives them two big paydays on the gate against the OF instead of four?

It would be great for the teams that yoyo between the SPL and First because they'd be guaranteed some big cash gates, but the established SPL teams outside of the five you mentioned would lose cash out of it.

It would be a case of balance. Would they rather four big paydays, but more chance of relegation, or two big paydays with a greater comfort zone annually? Kilmarnock are a good example. They could not afford to be relegated, yet it is a concern annually due to the lack of teams in our league. Bring in another six or eight and they are instantly a mid table side with a high probability of maintaining top league status. I would suggest that Kilmarnock fans will come out in greater numbers if they are winning more and if it is as close to guaranteed as a side like Kilmarnock will get that they will stay up, they may invest a little bit more in their side.

It would be a case of balance. Would they rather four big paydays, but more chance of relegation, or two big paydays with a greater comfort zone annually? Kilmarnock are a good example. They could not afford to be relegated, yet it is a concern annually due to the lack of teams in our league. Bring in another six or eight and they are instantly a mid table side with a high probability of maintaining top league status. I would suggest that Kilmarnock fans will come out in greater numbers if they are winning more and if it is as close to guaranteed as a side like Kilmarnock will get that they will stay up, they may invest a little bit more in their side.

Hopefully that's what would happen, but I doubt it. They've already given in to the OF on the 5% ticket levy because they were faced with a boycott. Was it not the case earlier in the season when they were on a good run that their crowds were actually down on last year?

It's a good idea about them investing more in their team if they knew they weren't going down, I hadn't thought about that

Agreed.

I'd add our name and Hibs to the list. We'd be dropping from six guaranteed full houses to only three.

Archived