What jobs are safe during a recession ?

Munch

What would you recommend the line of work to get into or study to wards if they were due to leave school next year with the country in the depths of a horrible recession.

In years gone by you'd have said, Banking was safe, a Lawyer, a surveyor, an Architect, even a Skilled Tradesman, All these property related jobs are high risk at the moment.

Id say the Army/Navy/RAF Could be a safe option, assuming you can avoid Iraq or Afghanistan.

Or how about a job as Plod, a Fireman, a doctor, all pretty safe as there services are still needed when there is no money around.

Any one got any other suggestions i could advise.:sad:

The People's Chimp

funeral directors, tax men, criminal lawyers.

Also, if someone is going to 'study towards' a career, then you'd imagine we'll be out of the 'horrible recession' by the time they finish their studies, so tell them not to worry and go and study toward whatever they like, helping the brewing industry through these tough times.

What would you recommend the line of work to get into or study to wards if they were due to leave school next year with the country in the depths of a horrible recession.

In years gone by you'd have said, Banking was safe, a Lawyer, a surveyor, an Architect, even a Skilled Tradesman, All these property related jobs are high risk at the moment.

Id say the Army/Navy/RAF Could be a safe option, assuming you can avoid Iraq or Afghanistan.

Or how about a job as Plod, a Fireman, a doctor, all pretty safe as there services are still needed when there is no money around.

Any one got any other suggestions i could advise.:sad:

Wouldn't have much luck as a doctor!

Well I work in science as an analytical chemist. The money isn't great but it;s decent and rather than my job being at risk, I've recently had a hefty payrise and will be promoted in the next couple of weeks (was meant to happen last week but didn't for whatever reason) so another payrise is in it for me.

It's about as secure a job as any going right now.

Also, if someone is going to 'study towards' a career, then you'd imagine we'll be out of the 'horrible recession' by the time they finish their studies, so tell them not to worry and go and study toward whatever they like, helping the brewing industry through these tough times.

surely not tax workers. the civil service departments have all been the subject of 'public sector savings' for quite a few years.

safest jobs? as far as non-skilled or blue collar jobs go then anything to do with goods and services which are essential, regardless of a recession. workers in market places which would be be classed as 'considered purchases' of goods and/or services must be very worried.

it's inevitable that certain employers who occupy certain places in particular markets will actually see an up-turn in trade as a result of a recession, it's just pot-luck trying to find one.

Mac_fae_Gillie

Military is not safe during a recession.

At present due to AF/Iraq it will no doubt not be touched but at any times

it always gets cropped to save tax ??s with promised big ventures been reduced or cancelled and units reduced,

Good jobs are Bakers/Milk industry etc,

these are products people don't give up on.

Would think public transport does OK if anything lossing jobs as a recession ends as people get back into the car.

Police is safe bet,more crime more plod and of course Baliffs.

Lidl checkout operator.

that's kind of what i was alluding to in my last. in certain markets, perhaps the bottom end of the market or the mid-range of the market will see an up-turn at the expense of the higher end of the market.

you could well be right with that particular company.

Come work at waitrose with me, people always need food and we're if anything getting busier these days. Today was a bit mental

jamboinglasgow

I would agree with that but I am in my final year. I went to uni when the economy was fine and rosy now coming out during a recession.

Oil Industry has kept me in gainful employment for the past 11 years and gone from a lowly apprentice to a Project Manager through working hard.

We have work to keep us busy for the next 2-3 years plus plenty of potential at the back of it if the price of oil keeps hovering about it's current position. Also oil isn't the decider as a lot of completion equipment can be used for gas fields off the coast of Norway which are also quite prosperous.

There's plenty of jobs about for any type you fancy, engineering, fabrication, machining or service technicians (where the big bucks are)

been looking to get myself an apprenticeship in something but nothing seems to be on offer, plus at 20 id probably need to get an adult trainee one and theyre rarer.

been looking to get myself an apprenticeship in something but nothing seems to be on offer, plus at 20 id probably need to get an adult trainee one and theyre rarer.

You will be lucky

Those with apprenticeships already are being laid off all over the shop and whilst there may still be a fair few around the competition will be even harder than in the past, your also likely to be up against apprentices who already have some experience elsewere and laid off. The ones doing stuff such as plastering/bricklaying in particular. I seem to remember a poster on here was looking for one a few months back, cant remember who though.

What sort of apprenticeship is it you want anyway?

You will be lucky

Those with apprenticeships already are being laid off all over the shop and whilst there may still be a fair few around the competition will be even harder than in the past, your also likely to be up against apprentices who already have some experience elsewere and laid off. The ones doing stuff such as plastering/bricklaying in particular. I seem to remember a poster on here was looking for one a few months back, cant remember who though.

What sort of apprenticeship is it you want anyway?

was looking into possibilites of getting an apprenticeship as a plumber / gas fitter. did vehicle mechanics at college but couldnt find an apprenticeship and its also pish boring.

Lidl checkout operator.

undoubtedly.

food retail has got to be quite safe as a whole as its an essential commodity for everyone. however, many that are feeling the pinch are spending less in your asdas, tesco's and sainsbury's and heading towards discounters such as lidl and aldi. not sure about lidl but aldi are currently recording record profits and their highest ever customer numbers in the uk as ex brand snobs are joining the chav's to shop cheaper

loveofthegame

If you go down the study route then i wouldn't worry too much what you go for. I'm sure by the time you finish in 2-4 years (whatever it is you study, etc) we'll be out this lull.

Plumber, there's a lot of **** going down. These guys make serious cash and as long as there are people there will be ****.

Mechanic, people aren't going to be buying new cars anytime soon.

My job's pretty much safe until 2011, should hopefully be getting a pay rise relatively soon as well.

Until Eck works out he can save 4p an hour by outsourcing too Kazakhstan:p

The Edinburgh Royal Infirmary (Lothian hospitals NHS Trust) have a policy of no enforced redundancy.

They re-deploy rather than sack.

Hopefully that means I can stay employed!

Well I work in science as an analytical chemist. The money isn't great but it;s decent and rather than my job being at risk, I've recently had a hefty payrise and will be promoted in the next couple of weeks (was meant to happen last week but didn't for whatever reason) so another payrise is in it for me.

It's about as secure a job as any going right now.

This is good advice i never thought about advising on this path, thanks.:)

If you go down the study route then i wouldn't worry too much what you go for. I'm sure by the time you finish in 2-4 years (whatever it is you study, etc) we'll be out this lull.

I am not sure about that, i have a friend who studied to be a lawyer and went to university the lot, he got paid off last month and now drives a home delivery van for Tesco.:eek:

The type of engineering I am in is pretty safe, we will always need gas mains :rolleyes:

Type of engineering i'm in is pretty safe, we will always (well for the forseeable future) need oil, gas and chemicals ;)

Oil Industry has kept me in gainful employment for the past 11 years and gone from a lowly apprentice to a Project Manager through working hard.

We have work to keep us busy for the next 2-3 years plus plenty of potential at the back of it if the price of oil keeps hovering about it's current position. Also oil isn't the decider as a lot of completion equipment can be used for gas fields off the coast of Norway which are also quite prosperous.

There's plenty of jobs about for any type you fancy, engineering, fabrication, machining or service technicians (where the big bucks are)

Indeed, see post above

Scotland Gas Networks usually takes on a batch of apprentices once a year, the pay only starts at about 14k but you can choose from a variety of fields of work

eg: http://www.scotiagasnetworks.co.uk/index2.aspx?rightColHeader=7&rightColContent=15&rightColFooter=237&hideRightCol=1&id=2008&terms=apprentice&searchtype=1&fragment=True

Good place to start and work your way up. My dad joined up aged 17 and is still there almost 40 years later many, many rungs up the ladder.

Archived