Oh to be young again!

Sooperstar

What kind of things did you like to do as a kid that really annoyed your parents?

When I was younger I used to love going carpet shopping. I can remember running about General George's with my two older brothers and jumping between all the horizontal rolls of carpet, or trying to hide inside them. Probably the only time I ever enjoyed going shopping with the folks.

What kind of things did you like to do as a kid that really annoyed your parents?

When I was younger I used to love going carpet shopping. I can remember running about General George's with my two older brothers and jumping between all the horizontal rolls of carpet, or trying to hide inside them. Probably the only time I ever enjoyed going shopping with the folks.

Did you grow up to be a "carpet Muncher":p

The carpet place down at Stenhouse (Gorgie Mills?) was the best for this.

I also seem to recall the furniture shop at Stevenson had some sort of soft play area but it's entirely possible i've dreamt that.

I also used to like going to B&Q and pressing all the different doorbells.

Simple pleasures.

I also seem to recall the furniture shop at Stevenson had some sort of soft play area but it's entirely possible i've dreamt that.

Simple pleasures.

Did both of those, thought I was the only one :laugh:

My mum had a problem with me and my brother having bean bag races down the stairs.

My mum had a problem with me and my brother having bean bag races down the stairs.

Did that one.

The major problem came when the bean bag burst and we didn't stop.

Waiting for Dad to come home that night was probably the scariest few hours of my life up until that point.

Simple pleasures.

about half of my good memorys of being young i have this same equation and im only 20 lol i dont know if i did things or if i dreamt them

:laugh:

Great shout mate. Forgot all about that until now.

My mum could have literally left me and my cousin in places like that for hours without having to worry about us wandering off.

Of course, it was hard for us to find us once she returned ;) .

I still regularly slide down the stairs on my belly.

Toxteth O'Grady
Quite enjoyed going for new shoes and looking at my feet through the x ray machine they used to use.

Bread Street Store?

jamboinheaven

me and my wee cousins used to make spiders webs out of balls of wool and cover the room,with the wool all over the place,prob could of strangled ourselves,or what about making a tent out of your bed covers?

Bread Street Store?

That one for sure, usually on dividend day, and also Keirs on South Clerk Street. The SCWS was quite the deal wasn't it, sent down to do the grocery shopping and had to remember the number. Still do 29612.

Does anyone remember the newsagent/sweet shop on St John's road, The Duchess? It's now Wong's chinese.

Used to love that shop!!

Does anyone remember the newsagent/sweet shop on St John's road, The Duchess? It's now Wong's chinese.

Used to love that shop!!

Amazing sweetie shop, the girl who's family owned it was in my year at school.

Hankering back to the things you miss from being young and the only thing you can come up with is fecking CARPET SHOPPING?!?!!?!? :eek:

ffs, surely there was more enjoyable stuff in your childhood than that????

It's funny I should stumble across this thread. Mine was kicking a ball around in the house, I broke so many clocks, lamps etc and had the horrible wait for my mum to come home, notice and go mental.

Well today I was kicking a ball about my flat in melbourne, had a stray shot and hit flatmates clothes rail, knocked out one innocent pole, went to put pole back in and another fell out, next thing you know entire rail and clothes all over the floor. I could have died, what makes it worse is she is on holiday and I have to wait a month till she gets back and sees all the chaos. I really hope I can fix it.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Jumping on the back of Maxi's ice cream van in Sighthill and waving to my mum (who was at our winodw) as it drove away:p

It was a reverted ambulance and had a step at the back which you had to step on to get served. When he (Maxi) was about to pull away we would jump on the back and stay on until he next stopped.

Was great fun, but a bit daft :)

It's funny I should stumble across this thread. Mine was kicking a ball around in the house, I broke so many clocks, lamps etc and had the horrible wait for my mum to come home, notice and go mental.

Well today I was kicking a ball about my flat in melbourne, had a stray shot and hit flatmates clothes rail, knocked out one innocent pole, went to put pole back in and another fell out, next thing you know entire rail and clothes all over the floor. I could have died, what makes it worse is she is on holiday and I have to wait a month till she gets back and sees all the chaos. I really hope I can fix it.

We regularly kick a ball about our living room in our flat! No major damage done as yet but a hell of a lot of spilt drinks!

Used to enjoy going to Goldbergs and some party shop that was near the post office in Morningside. A trip to the shops at bruntsfield was a good adventure too. Easily pleased :P

scottish_chicP
me and my wee cousins used to make spiders webs out of balls of wool and cover the room,with the wool all over the place,prob could of strangled ourselves,or what about making a tent out of your bed covers?

I used to love doing that! Especially when I had my bunk beds.

marshallschunkychicken
I used to love going to goldberg's.

Me too. And I was sitting racking my brains as to what it was called until I read your post...

Walter Payton
We regularly kick a ball about our living room in our flat! No major damage done as yet but a hell of a lot of spilt drinks!

Used to enjoy going to Goldbergs and some party shop that was near the post office in Morningside. A trip to the shops at bruntsfield was a good adventure too. Easily pleased :P

Toys Galore? I used to love that shop!

MackaysCentreSpot
I used to love going to goldberg's.

Goldbergs had the best toy department at xmas time with a huge santa grotto amd loads of people dressed as Elves.

They use to have a huge table in the middle where you could play with loads of toys that were available to buy.

I also remember the parrott. It was in the avairy at the top beside the restaurant.

Anyway back to the original question.

My mum use to go mad because I kept pinching her jellies (not those kind of jellies guys) from the cupboard and would give squares out to my mates at school, that was primary school............ok.

See cross-reference to "early risers" in the Dani Behr thread ?

Used to love that shop!!

The guy that ran it was an erse. Seriously, a sweet shop and he hated kids. Not too mention the complete lack of customer service. I hope he had to sell as he went bust, rather than because he was cashing in...

I'd genuinely walk the extra 200 yards and go to the Neuk instead of shopping at the Duchess.

Amazing sweetie shop, the girl who's family owned it was in my year at school.

I was in her Primary class at Corstorphine but different houses at Craigmount. (If she indeed went to Craigmount...think she did)

The guy that ran it was an erse. Seriously, a sweet shop and he hated kids. Not too mention the complete lack of customer service. I hope he had to sell as he went bust, rather than because he was cashing in...

I'd genuinely walk the extra 200 yards and go to the Neuk instead of shopping at the Duchess.

I was in her Primary class at Corstorphine but different houses at Craigmount. (If she indeed went to Craigmount...think she did)

From memory did someone not take it over and they were complete Noel Hunt's? I remember my Mum and Dad saying they weren't going back once.

It was a great shop.

Archived