Roy Keane- NHC

Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle

Seems to be all over the Sunderland forums as well. Maybe due to a fall out with the board. The club havent said anything yet.

Intresting.

Guest JamboRobbo

Interesting that the sunderlandecho clearly uses the same website template as the scotsman/een.

similarities are uncanny. e.g. http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/football/Laszlo-considers-Hearts-return-for.4694717.jp

Well I thought it was interesting anyway. Thinking abuot it it's not really all that interesting. :):P

Interesting that the sunderlandecho clearly uses the same website template as the scotsman/een.

similarities are uncanny. e.g. http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/football/Laszlo-considers-Hearts-return-for.4694717.jp

Well I thought it was interesting anyway. Thinking abuot it it's not really all that interesting. :):P

Loads of papers do, JR. I think one company runs most press websites.

Wouldnt surprise me, way out his depth.

As clearly proven by the fact that he inherited a team 24th in the Championship, which had just posted the two worst totals in EPL history, and by the end of last season, had improved them 29 league places in less than two years...

Sexton Hardcastle

Apparntly it was on the Setanta Breaking news banner but they then chopped it.

Seems someones had a mare somwhere along the line.

As clearly proven by the fact that he inherited a team 24th in the Championship, which had just posted the two worst totals in EPL history, and by the end of last season, had improved them 29 league places in less than two years...

He's wasted millions and they're still pash. FACT.

Sunderland in this stage of there pregression could really do with an experienced manager who knows how to spend money.

How many other promoted clubs stayed up last season? Answer: none. Keane had to spend loads to replace the God-awful team he inherited; and when you come up, quality players won't join you!

Sunderland is a gradual, long-term project which will take considerable time. They'll be fine if they stick with him - and would be mental not to.

How many other promoted clubs stayed up last season? Answer: none. Keane had to spend loads to replace the God-awful team he inherited; and when you come up, quality players won't join you!

Sunderland is a gradual, long-term project which will take considerable time. They'll be fine if they stick with him - and would be mental not to.

Could someone list his signings? Haven't a load joined (for silly money) then sold again or farmed out on loan? He has a record that must read like VR's.

He's pash.

He's us laughing with the ?9 Million they gave us for Gordon ;):rofl:

I've have taken 5 million personally!

I suppose there's two ways of looking at this and he certainly divides opinion in the job he has done at Sunderland.

He did fantastically well when he first took over, as alluded to above. However, he has wasted an awful lot of money - ?5m on Chopra who has been shipped back to Cardiff is the one that stands out for me.

When you take everything into account though, Sunderland are in a much better position than when he took over and far more experienced managers have wasted a lot more than Keane, who is still learning his trade.

I suppose there's two ways of looking at this and he certainly divides opinion in the job he has done at Sunderland.

He did fantastically well when he first took over, as alluded to above. However, he has wasted an awful lot of money - ?5m on Chopra who has been shipped back to Cardiff is the one that stands out for me.

When you take everything into account though, Sunderland are in a much better position than when he took over and far more experienced managers have wasted a lot more than Keane, who is still learning his trade.

I wouldnt say the success is really down to him tho... imo.

Anyone who signs Diouf needs their head looked.

I have a wee soft spot for Diouf, might be down to his actions at Sellick Park.

Sunderland miss Jones big time, when he's back and firing they'll start to rise up the table.

I wouldnt say the success is really down to him tho... imo.

Who is it down to then?

If you put it down to Quinn and the consortium, all they have done is provide money and appoint Keane (on the playing side of things).

It seems to me a bit futile to then argue Keane has done nothing and squandered money if you compare their league position when he took over to where they are now.

For all his pros and cons, you cannot seriously argue Keane hasn't helped improve Sunderland under his tenure.

Who is it down to then?

If you put it down to Quinn and the consortium, all they have done is provide money and appoint Keane (on the playing side of things).

It seems to me a bit futile to then argue Keane has done nothing and squandered money if you compare their league position when he took over to where they are now.

For all his pros and cons, you cannot seriously argue Keane hasn't helped improve Sunderland under his tenure.

Ah we're both right... why? I'll explain.

Its all about value.

He's spent enough to put them easy in the top 7/8, but got a team that will survive but only just.

Money has helped Sunderland improve, kean has hit targets of survival etc but thats it. They have survived, but should have done a lot better.

portobellojambo1
Ah we're both right... why? I'll explain.

Its all about value.

He's spent enough to put them easy in the top 7/8, but got a team that will survive but only just.

Money has helped Sunderland improve, kean has hit targets of survival etc but thats it. They have survived, but should have done a lot better.

Think if you actually were to take Craig Gordon and Michael Chopra out of the equation Keane hasn't really spent an awful lot of money in real terms, you could argue over whether or not ?2.5 million is too much for El Hadj Diouf, but in comparable terms better wingers would cost more.

First season up for any club it is then about survival, which he achieved, second season you try to survive again but move up the table slightly, once you have found your feet you can think about progression. I actually think Keane has done a not bad job at Sunderland, but only Sunderland supporters could give a definite answer.

A couple of months ago someone posted that Sunderland were the type of well-run club we should be copying.

I wouldn't make an outright statement that Keans is a cr*p manager as this is his first gig but I'd like to think that if any manager was given the near ?100million that Keano's spent, they'd make as good a job, if not better.

Got a txt from a mate saying hes possibly left Sunderland.

I don't care about Sunderland, but I hope he's out of football and never returns.

He is a negative influence on the game, and his "I've always wanted to play for ra sellik" pesh was stomach churning. Only good thing is that he took ra sellik fhans for a pretty penny.

Kheano - GTF from British football. :mad:

I don't care about Sunderland, but I hope he's out of football and never returns.

He is a negative influence on the game, and his "I've always wanted to play for ra sellik" pesh was stomach churning. Only good thing is that he took ra sellik fhans for a pretty penny.

Someone's already worried about him becoming Celtic boss... ;)

portobellojambo1
A couple of months ago someone posted that Sunderland were the type of well-run club we should be copying.

I wouldn't make an outright statement that Keans is a cr*p manager as this is his first gig but I'd like to think that if any manager was given the near ?100million that Keano's spent, they'd make as good a job, if not better.

I believe Roy Keane's total spending since arriving at Sunderland is around ?35-?40 million, which is peanuts in terms of some teams at the top end of the EPL, so not sure where this figure of ?100 million comes from

I don't care who ra sellik have as their manager. Fact.

I don't care who ra sellik have as their manager. Fact.

This must be why you wish ill on the Leaping Leprechaun, purely because he managed them for five years. And brought, I'm sure, much despair to your footballing life too... :P

Good god, You're unstoppable...Your wee Prodigy (or is it Proddy) will be along shortly to agree!! :P

Your wee Prodigy (or is it Proddy) will be along shortly to agree!! :P

Which one? I have so many, you'll have to narrow it down a bit. :P

rudi must stay

wouldn't be worried at all he is waiting for the Utd job

wouldn't be worried at all he is waiting for the Utd job

But he'll have to do something pretty big to get it - and Mourinho would be my bet for that position when Fergie finally retires anyway. I don't think WGS will stay at Celtic beyond the end of the season; and if not, would anticipate it being Moyes or Keane who replace him.

rudi must stay
But he'll have to do something pretty big to get it - and Mourinho would be my bet for that position when Fergie finally retires anyway. I don't think WGS will stay at Celtic beyond the end of the season; and if not, would anticipate it being Moyes or Keane who replace him.

seems to me like it's Mourinho that wants to go there and not Man Utd. Ferguson showed he trusted Keane by standing by him as captain so he will be his choice to be manager imo, and what he says usually goes.

seems to me like it's Mourinho that wants to go there and not Man Utd. Ferguson showed he trusted Keane by standing by him as captain so he will be his choice to be manager imo, and what he says usually goes.

Ferguson and Mourinho get on really well: the only other manager Purple Cheeks respects as much is Marcello Lippi. And Man Utd will be looking at the world's best managers when it's time to make a change: nothing less will do for them. Meaning Keane, and other United old boys like Hughes, Ince or Strachan, will have no chance.

Ferguson and Mourinho get on really well: the only other manager Purple Cheeks respects as much is Marcello Lippi. And Man Utd will be looking at the world's best managers when it's time to make a change: nothing less will do for them. Meaning Keane, and other United old boys like Hughes, Ince or Strachan, will have no chance.

I'm been watching the Benitez contract scenario with interest as I've had a feeling for a couple of years now that it would be Mourinho who eventually replaces him. Not sure why, just a hunch.

I'm been watching the Benitez contract scenario with interest as I've had a feeling for a couple of years now that it would be Mourinho who eventually replaces him. Not sure why, just a hunch.

Not if Liverpool's finances are in doubt, he won't!

rudi must stay

probably cos he's said that he wants to manage in England again. Liverpool are one of the only clubs in England who could afford him

Its a sad day when you start arguing with yourself JR - even by your standards! :P

Think if you actually were to take Craig Gordon and Michael Chopra out of the equation Keane hasn't really spent an awful lot of money in real terms, you could argue over whether or not ?2.5 million is too much for El Hadj Diouf, but in comparable terms better wingers would cost more.

First season up for any club it is then about survival, which he achieved, second season you try to survive again but move up the table slightly, once you have found your feet you can think about progression. I actually think Keane has done a not bad job at Sunderland, but only Sunderland supporters could give a definite answer.

70 million on 40 players if this is to believed.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0917/keaneroy.html

Thats a lot of cash on pash.

Archived