Digitalism at the arches

The People's Chimp

The People's Chimp

Digitalism are playing at death disco at the arches next saturday (22nd). Should be pretty decent, it's a dj set rather than a live performance. With students being back, and the main dj not being a 'fruity favourite' like riton*, it should be a pretty good night. I'm away up to the box office to get some tickets just now.

*I went to that night in the summer and it was awful. Terrible disco tunes and a pretty dismal crowd meant we sat in the bar all night laughin at how bad it all was.

Dr Ian Malcolm

I'm going as well - seen them 3 times before so them doing a set will be a bit different this time. Was meant to go to Erol Alkan at Death Disco in September (?) but couldn't get tickets. Have heard good things.

The People's Chimp
I'm going as well - seen them 3 times before so them doing a set will be a bit different this time. Was meant to go to Erol Alkan at Death Disco in September (?) but couldn't get tickets. Have heard good things.

Yeah it can be great; it's usually always a wicked night when big names are playing.

i seen them do the 'live' show and i use the term loosley during the festival at liquid and they were rank so i left before the end as was bored stiff. that has put me off them. seen them DJ at lovebox in london the year before and they were decent. i actually quite like riton. supposed to be playing the arches on the 5th december so not a death disco night. might check it out. his essential mix is pretty good too -

http://www.newmixes.com/riton-essential_mix-sat-09-20-2008.html

also for those up late tonight erol alkan is on the essential mix or is that tomro...some annie mac thing

bit soft that lot - Derrick May playing at Studio 24 tonight - tough as old boots that will be - class:)

derrick may is gash. an entire career made off the strings of life. still playing the same tunes he did about 15 years ago.

bit soft that lot - Derrick May playing at Studio 24 tonight - tough as old boots that will be - class:)

That's a bit more like it.

His production is a bit on the dull and dated side but the guy is a decent DJ.

The People's Chimp
i seen them do the 'live' show and i use the term loosley during the festival at liquid and they were rank so i left before the end as was bored stiff. that has put me off them. seen them DJ at lovebox in london the year before and they were decent. i actually quite like riton. supposed to be playing the arches on the 5th december so not a death disco night. might check it out. his essential mix is pretty good too -

http://www.newmixes.com/riton-essential_mix-sat-09-20-2008.html

also for those up late tonight erol alkan is on the essential mix or is that tomro...some annie mac thing

Like everything, it's hit or miss...riton was shocking at that night in the summer.:)

derrick may is gash. an entire career made off the strings of life. still playing the same tunes he did about 15 years ago.

quite obviously you are clueless about dance music - go see him, you'll find out why he has legendary status - i saw him in detroit once, one of the best nights of my life.:)

quite obviously you are clueless about dance music - go see him, you'll find out why he has legendary status - i saw him in detroit once, one of the best nights of my life.:)

Incredible the amount of times he's played in Edinburgh, so many times I prob wouldnt pay to see him any more.

Seen him in front of 5 people before. Dead doesnt come close.

Incredible the amount of times he's played in Edinburgh, so many times I prob wouldnt pay to see him any more.

Seen him in front of 5 people before. Dead doesnt come close.

got to agree with that his time has come and gone for me. seen him a few times - he was ace in glasgow the time i seen him there - other times not good at all. plus he has a great habit of not even turning to bookings.

Digitalism are playing at death disco at the arches next saturday (22nd). Should be pretty decent, it's a dj set rather than a live performance. With students being back, and the main dj not being a 'fruity favourite' like riton*, it should be a pretty good night. I'm away up to the box office to get some tickets just now.

*I went to that night in the summer and it was awful. Terrible disco tunes and a pretty dismal crowd meant we sat in the bar all night laughin at how bad it all was.

Totally forgot you mentioned this! I'm gonna give it a miss as I can't be hooped going out on Saturday. I'll be around for a jar in the digg after if you fancy though - before you hot foot it back through.

The People's Chimp
Totally forgot you mentioned this! I'm gonna give it a miss as I can't be hooped going out on Saturday. I'll be around for a jar in the digg after if you fancy though - before you hot foot it back through.

Sound. Will do; better to be a few ales to the good before I head back through....

" Digitalism were pish too. Prob worst night I've ever had at the arches. I had doubts it was even Digitalism playing cos the set was so ****e and there was only one guy behind the decks....but maybe it was just one of them."

"wish I had been knocked back. It was ****ing rank last night. Digitalism was f'ing awful - Or at least the one guy from digitalism who was attempting to DJ was ****ing awful. Couldnt build a set to save himself."

sounds like a great night!!!!:eek:

I very rarely make an effort to go and see DJ sets in clubs these days as about 95% of them are disappointing.

It's all about live sets because then you can really see what the artists are about as musicians.

Why would I want to pay a tenner to some guy that can barely put 2 tunes together?

I think techno has progressed to such an extent that DJing is only for pre-live act or last hour raving and not a main event in itself as there are so few DJs out there that can play well enough to be interesting or worth checking out.

I'd go and see turntablist / hiphop DJs because they really do have skills that are far, far in excess of my own but as for techno / electro DJs, I reckon I can mix as well as any of them and I usually know most of the records they play so what's the point in spending money on that?

I'd rather hang out with my mates and save the cash for something worthwhile.

The People's Chimp
" Digitalism were pish too. Prob worst night I've ever had at the arches. I had doubts it was even Digitalism playing cos the set was so ****e and there was only one guy behind the decks....but maybe it was just one of them."

"wish I had been knocked back. It was ****ing rank last night. Digitalism was f'ing awful - Or at least the one guy from digitalism who was attempting to DJ was ****ing awful. Couldnt build a set to save himself."

sounds like a great night!!!!:eek:

Where did you get your quotes?

It was totally rammed, which was a bit annoying, the set up, down the side of one arch is not the best in terms of crowd movement. But there was a pretty good atmosphere and the digitalism set was quite good. There were two of them there as well; one was away up at the side behind a laptop

Where did you get your quotes?

It was totally rammed, which was a bit annoying, the set up, down the side of one arch is not the best in terms of crowd movement. But there was a pretty good atmosphere and the digitalism set was quite good. There were two of them there as well; one was away up at the side behind a laptop

From the slamevents website, great forum with tons of opinions on all sorts of stuff. Magic forum with all upcoming events on it, great if yer looking for club nights.

Carl Weathers
I very rarely make an effort to go and see DJ sets in clubs these days as about 95% of them are disappointing.

It's all about live sets because then you can really see what the artists are about as musicians.

Why would I want to pay a tenner to some guy that can barely put 2 tunes together?

I think techno has progressed to such an extent that DJing is only for pre-live act or last hour raving and not a main event in itself as there are so few DJs out there that can play well enough to be interesting or worth checking out.

I'd go and see turntablist / hiphop DJs because they really do have skills that are far, far in excess of my own but as for techno / electro DJs, I reckon I can mix as well as any of them and I usually know most of the records they play so what's the point in spending money on that?

I'd rather hang out with my mates and save the cash for something worthwhile.

I still enjoy going out every now and then to see a dj but I know what you mean. I've seen loads of dj's playing on laptops and anyone could do that.

Still, if the tunes are good, I don't mind too much.

Archived