La Belle Angelle

K1874M

Just had an email from a friend who works in the construction sector.

Seemingly a company are redesigning and building on the burnt out area at the cowgate and will be reinstating La Belle Angelle.

As long as they make it dark and dingy I'll be happy.

Many a banging Manga in there.

I remember we were meant to be having our xmas prom there the year it burned down, we ended up in bathgate instead :(

Prom?

Are you American?

If they could recreate La Belle exactly that would be great as it was a quality venue but somehow I can only see it being a massive disappointment.

Prom?

Are you American?

I thought the same thing when I read that, never heard of anybody going to a prom let alone admitting it

Carl Spackler
If they could recreate La Belle exactly that would be great as it was a quality venue but somehow I can only see it being a massive disappointment.

Not exactly. I'd put in better quality wiring.

Just had an email from a friend who works in the construction sector.

Seemingly a company are redesigning and building on the burnt out area at the cowgate and will be reinstating La Belle Angelle.

As long as they make it dark and dingy I'll be happy.

Many a banging Manga in there.

I went to every Manga from it opening. Can't remember ever having a bad night in there.

I remember we were meant to be having our xmas prom there the year it burned down, we ended up in bathgate instead :(

Where in Bathgate did you end up, Prancer?

I thought the same thing when I read that, never heard of anybody going to a prom let alone admitting it

I think a lot of schools here have 'proms' now. I know that in 6th year at Porty we had a prom, which was fancy dress and, I think, for charity. We just had that in the main hall of the school. Then there was the leavers ball at the end of the year at the Balmoral.

First club I pulled a bird in. I was 17 she was 24. Good times.....

Mum spoiled it tho by answering the phone a couple days later with the line "I'm his mum, he's at school, can I take a message". Never phoned back haha.

If true this is outrageously good news.

Will try and find out more. She sounds pretty sure of it. I know the french girl who owned it (cant remember her name) was keen at the time but that was ages ago.

I think a lot of schools here have 'proms' now. I know that in 6th year at Porty we had a prom, which was fancy dress and, I think, for charity. We just had that in the main hall of the school. Then there was the leavers ball at the end of the year at the Balmoral.

I think I'm beginning to show my age :sad:

What is it they say you're only as old as the person you feel, problem is my fiance is 31!

Where in Bathgate did you end up, Prancer?

If I recall it was called club oasis or something similar, it was a complete craphole.

It was over 5 years ago though so I may be completely wrong on the name, or even the west lothian hole it was located in.

As for "proms", our school had these about every 3 months such as Haloween, xmas, easter, leavers, organised by the students with no teachers etc - although the better ones normally got invited to the leavers one - funnily enough my year invited none:p -, it was basically an excuse for us to get mortal in various, Fife, and West Lothian questionable establishments who had no qualm with underagers.

We occasionally branched into Edinburgh, but they were normally a bit stricter and thus a flop. The leavers proms were always quite civilised and held at an upmarket hotel (final year at carlton).

Surely this wasn't just my school?

Will try and find out more. She sounds pretty sure of it. I know the french girl who owned it (cant remember her name) was keen at the time but that was ages ago.

Was part of the planning permission not a ban on new clubs and pubs though, I think they agreed to a few restaurants/hotels but that aside they were claiming a ban on new licences ?

Was part of the planning permission not a ban on new clubs and pubs though, I think they agreed to a few restaurants/hotels but that aside they were claiming a ban on new licences ?

Not from what I've heard. I've just recieved the company's name who are working on it.

Will hopefully reveal all soon.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I spent many a night absolutely blotto'd in La Belle.

Dark, dingy and dodgy, added to great tunes = a great night :P

the adam rooms (edinburgh uni owned property used during festival on chambers street) is still using part of the la belle angelle. when i was there a few months back the toilets they had open where the toilets from the club. you had to go down a few flights of stairs and round a few corners and then it just opened up into the long corridor that used to lead off that stinking courtyard from the even more stinking steps at the rear of guthrie street/grv. it was weired being there shame the rest of the club is a gonner.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Nice one! hope they bring Atomic Baby back:)

Thats the night that I was trying to remember the name of.

:)

If I recall it was called club oasis or something similar, it was a complete craphole.

It was over 5 years ago though so I may be completely wrong on the name, or even the west lothian hole it was located in.

As for "proms", our school had these about every 3 months such as Haloween, xmas, easter, leavers, organised by the students with no teachers etc - although the better ones normally got invited to the leavers one - funnily enough my year invited none:p -, it was basically an excuse for us to get mortal in various, Fife, and West Lothian questionable establishments who had no qualm with underagers.

We occasionally branched into Edinburgh, but they were normally a bit stricter and thus a flop. The leavers proms were always quite civilised and held at an upmarket hotel (final year at carlton).

Surely this wasn't just my school?

Sounds like you ventured into Whitburn that night.

I DJ'ed at a club in Whitburn, only for it to shut down that night, due to the violence(Surely my music wasn't that bad??:P)

i used to do the door at la belle still got my sweat shirt we used to wear kicking about somewhere had a few good nights in there when working and when not working. Used to set tables out side for random searches oh the good old days.

Carl Weathers

I've only ever been once - it burnt down when I just started my clubbing career.

I really hope it's not another Faith playing pash music for cheesemerchants.

My friend was doing repairs to the dodgy wiring in Loca and the Living Room a few hours before that fire kicked off. I've never seen anyone go so deathly pale when he was told what had happened.

He still doesn't like talking about it. :biggrin:

Poor sod.

Archived