Self Emplyed help please

Bigsmak

Hey all,

Recently went self employed - Anyone got any advice on how to manage the Tax man properly? (or recommend an accountant?)

Also - Anyone got any ideas of making some extra cash on the side? - I'm not in a trade, I'm a sales agent!

Captain Canada

There's a form you can order online to register as self employed and make sure you're paying the right amount of N.I. contributions etc. I'm self-employed and work in The Borders, which is where my accountants are, been very helpful so far. http://www.jrwca.com is their web address.

The tax man is easy to handle if you are earning below ?15 000 a year.

Your tax return which is sent out in April is very easy to fill out by yourself at this point. When you exceed 15k then you have supplemental pages to fill out. A few people I know have taken the return in to the tax office & had assistance to fill it out, free of charge. Personally, I use an accountant.

My advice would be to keep good records from month to month so that when April comes around you have all the info you need to fill out your return easily.

I assume that you have registered as self employed.

Guest GhostHunter
Hey all,

Recently went self employed - Anyone got any advice on how to manage the Tax man properly? (or recommend an accountant?)

Also - Anyone got any ideas of making some extra cash on the side? - I'm not in a trade, I'm a sales agent!

ER-UTG-M-AK-47.gif

Hey all,

I took the plunge recently, go on to HMRC website (her majesties Revenue & customs) there is some good advice there. Also they run free seminars in Edinburgh (office in George St) where they give advice on record keeping, NI, taxation & tax returns.

Good luck!

Archived