It's about time we gubbed someone

topcat

On a night when Rangers were failing to win at Fir Park and Chelsea were blowing their chance of the quadruple again the mighty...err... Burnley it was clear that there are worse things in the world than not beating Hamilton with sufficient style.

Nonetheless there remains a certain frustration with Hearts apparent decision to shut up shop and sit on a 1-0 lead in a game where the early signs indicated that they were capable of tearing their opponents up.

Hearts have yet to win by more than one goal this season.

Since destroying Aberdeen on Rememberance Sunday last year there have only been two games where we've been sufficiently ahead to be able to relax on a as the Tannoy announced how much time remained to be played and only one of those was at Tynecastle

9 Feb 2008: Gretna (H) 2-0

Andrius Velicka 4 ;Andrius Velicka pen 41

1 Mar 2008: Inverness (A)

Hristos Karipidis 22 ;Calum Elliot 33 ;Calum Elliot 47

Now I enjoy a nailbiting finish as much as the next person, and we've had some crackers, but there's a frustrated hankering for a big margin win. I don't think I'm alone in that respect and I don't think I was alone in seeing last night as offering hope of satisfying that craving (Even with Dougie McDonald oficiating).

3 points against a Hamilton side who, while bottom of the table, aren't hopelessly cast adrift like Gretna and on the night delivered a spirited and determined performance isn't something to get too annoyed about.

I think what really drove the boos at full time was the cumulative frustration of waiting for a big win. If we'd annihalated Saint Mirren big time then I think 3 points yesterday would have been enough for all but the grumpiest Jambos.

Guest JamboRobbo

I'd say we've yet to even go for it enough to have a chance of winning by more than one goal.

Thats the dissapointment for me. That we are choosing to hold on for 1 goal wins against the likes of Hamilton.

I wouldn't accuse any player of lacking commitment, but we were running around like headless chickens for the last 40 mins.

None of our midfielders or striker did anything to hold onto the ball in the 2nd half. There were no outlets.

All Hamilton did was loft balls over our five midfielders, thus taking them out of the game. And when the ball did come back into our midfield, it was too crowded for us to do anything with it.

What we needed was a tactical shift on the hour mark.

What we got was Robbie Neilson at right-mid and Jamie Mole up front.

Buffalo Bill

When the first goal went in I was honestly thinking it would be a comfortable 2 or 3 nil win. Then the reality hit home.

Guest JamboRobbo

What we needed was a tactical shift on the hour mark.

What we got was Robbie Neilson at right-mid and Jamie Mole up front.

Agreed BB. Complete failure to change anything last night.

Do you think Csaba reckons if he keeps bringing Mole on, he's suddenly going to turn into a footballer? I'm all for giving people chances, but he's had more than his fair share and it's time one of the other young strikers was given a go IMO.

Winston Ingram

Never mind tactical shifts, it's more basic than that.. we need strikers who know where the net is!! None of those at the club will score more than 10 this season.

Think Porter is out of contract in the summer at Motherwell. Get him signed in January. That would be a start.

When was that last time we scored in the first ten mins also. I thought last night was the ideal opprtunity to go on an seal a confortable victory. Mayeb put 3 or 4 past them.

I fully beleive that if the chances are made Nade will finish them off. We are not making enough chances ina game and a having to rely on a very shakey defence to keep us clean sheets

alwaysthereinspirit

We wont be gubbing to many teams with one up front.

Maybe this is all practice for European nights next year at Old Trafford, Camp Nou and the likes.:P

It is next year that the 5 year plan comes to fruition isn't it?

Bringing on Robbie to 'hold what you have' at Love St was quite sensible ..............to play the same card when your team is at home and looking dull as dishwater really deserves some explanation !!

"gub" someone???

who? we wouldn't gub any SPL or SFL1 side right now.

as long as we keep on picking up points i'll be happy enough.

Captain Canada

I saw Andy Cole on Sky Sports last night - I know he's retired as a player but we could do worse than get him in as a striking coach even on a short-term basis as it's clear whoever is doing it currently is making no improvements whatsoever. I just can't see us investing in anyone good enough in January so we should try to improve what we have. I'm sure Elliot, Nade, Mole, Branny etc would all benefit from someone of Cole's ability and experience at the top level.

why Csaba persists with bringing on Mole i'll never now. He talks today in the EEN saying that he stuck Mole on as he had the expierence. How the hell are players like Templeton, Glen etc supposed to gain any expierence in the 1st place!

I thought last nite was the perfect opportunity to put Templeton on in place of Nade.

Hearts Heritage
When was that last time we scored in the first ten mins also. I thought last night was the ideal opprtunity to go on an seal a confortable victory. Mayeb put 3 or 4 past them.

I fully beleive that if the chances are made Nade will finish them off. We are not making enough chances ina game and a having to rely on a very shakey defence to keep us clean sheets

It was against ICT and the scenario turned out the same as last night.

The thing about 2005-06 was we had built on good starts by establishing 2 or 3 goal leads by half time.

Though that said in 'the winning 8' we were lucky to win against

Motherwell (Gordon's last minute wonder save)

ICT away when they would have equalised had their forward left the ball that was going in alone.

I didn't boo but i had more right to than others

I had ?5 on Nade first goal and 2-0 Hearts at 20/1...couldnt believe we didn't go and try and finish them off

Agreed BB. Complete failure to change anything last night.

Do you think Csaba reckons if he keeps bringing Mole on, he's suddenly going to turn into a footballer? I'm all for giving people chances, but he's had more than his fair share and it's time one of the other young strikers was given a go IMO.

The thing is, as much as i don't rate Mole, I'm not sure what the guy can show in a side that sits on it's 18 yard line and plays one up front.

He doesn't look the part, but we'd need someone like Sebastian Schweinsteiger supplying crosses for our (very) lone frontman!

Buffalo Bill

Was talking about this last night at the game so I'm not surprised this has come up. When was the last time we gubbed someone? I'm thinking 4-1 against Aberdeen last season? You know, the "Banksy swing on the bar" game? Prior to that, I'm sure we had a 4-0 against Motherwell and Dundee United but that was good age ago.

As for last night, I too thought we were going to go on a romp Accies, they looked shaky at the back in the first half and Nade put in a stormer (I'm so happy for him that he managed to get on the score sheet). Second half, different story. It's like someone switched the lights off and went home. Terrible stuff to watch. Not enough Calms or Vallium to get me through that nerve-wracking display.

Jam Tarts 1874

I think if Nade had been a bit luckier with his turning volley, or maybe if Obua had not taken a certain goal off the head of Bruno then I am pretty certain we would have dished out a kicking to the Accies and we would not be seeing so many negative threads today.

On a night when Rangers were failing to win at Fir Park and Chelsea were blowing their chance of the quadruple again the mighty...err... Burnley it was clear that there are worse things in the world than not beating Hamilton with sufficient style.

Nonetheless there remains a certain frustration with Hearts apparent decision to shut up shop and sit on a 1-0 lead in a game where the early signs indicated that they were capable of tearing their opponents up.

Since destroying Aberdeen on Rememberance Sunday last year there have only been two games where we've been sufficiently ahead to be able to relax on a as the Tannoy announced how much time remained to be played and only one of those was at Tynecastle

9 Feb 2008: Gretna (H) 2-0

Andrius Velicka 4 ;Andrius Velicka pen 41

1 Mar 2008: Inverness (A)

Hristos Karipidis 22 ;Calum Elliot 33 ;Calum Elliot 47

Now I enjoy a nailbiting finish as much as the next person, and we've had some crackers, but there's a frustrated hankering for a big margin win. I don't think I'm alone in that respect and I don't think I was alone in seeing last night as offering hope of satisfying that craving (Even with Dougie McDonald oficiating).

3 points against a Hamilton side who, while bottom of the table, aren't hopelessly cast adrift like Gretna and on the night delivered a spirited and determined performance isn't something to get too annoyed about.

I think what really drove the boos at full time was the cumulative frustration of waiting for a big win. If we'd annihalated Saint Mirren big time then I think 3 points yesterday would have been enough for all but the grumpiest Jambos.

Whilst I agree with what you are getting at .Just what has Chelsea got to do with anything?

Most bets I place now are on a nil-nil draw or 1-0. Apart from last night. Went with n-n and 2-0. Bollox.

We just don't have the players, the manager or an owner who gives two sh*ts. No chance of gubbing anyone!!

I was surprised at the number of people who know/knew the two new master tactians who have moved in behind me this season! I know that's what I want to do this season. That was until I read the thread after replying to it.:o

Whilst I agree with what you are getting at. Just what has Chelsea got to do with anything?

I mentioned last nights Rangers and Chelsea games (against teams they'd be expected to beat comfortably) because when it comes to dissapointingly underperforming they put our somewhat inelegant victory into some kind of perspective.

Archived