Tips for quiting the fags

K1874M

Just decided I'm not going to smoke any more...

bit stupid but going to see A. If I have the will power to just wake up and make a snap decision like this and B. If I fail how long I can last.

So far I've eaten 2 bacon rolls and a ham sandwich with coleslaw, I know I cant go on like this so what next??

I'm also drinking lots of water....

Well?

PS I have a nice pipe back home so the J's will stop!

Regal Kingston

Dinny go cold turkey!!

Cut down gradually. Buy miniging fags like Ducados/Marlboro red so every fag is less enjoyable.

I like Marlboro Reds! Gonna just give it a bash going to cold turkey, hey if I fail I';m still I smoker, cant lose.

I used the patches and they worked for me.

The eating things is what you've got to worry about, as you say.

I quit 2 years ago and I've put on 2 stones.

Make sure you're not snacking on rubbish when you're gouching in front of the telly at night.

I am a smoker who could easliy stop if I didn't drink : that's when I seem to lose all will power. If I didn't go to the boozer I can go days on end without a fag.

I read somewhere that the best thing you can do when trying to kick the habbit is to keep yourself occupied. So get some exercise and spend more time on new super dooper JKB.

:cheese:

I am a smoker who could easliy stop if I didn't drink : that's when I seem to lose all will power. If I didn't go to the boozer I can go days on end without a fag.

I read somewhere that the best thing you can do when trying to kick the habbit is to keep yourself occupied. So get some exercise and spend more time on new super dooper JKB.

:cheese:

Yeh, I'm going home the night to make a 9ltr pot of soup and, then I'll probably sit all night eating it.

The pub will be the baw breaker I feel.

Kickback makes me want a ciggie some times.

Three people I know tried the hypnotism thing, two quit and one didn't. I, as a non smoker would suggest that cold turkey is the way to go. All these Nicotine replacement ideas (chuggie, patches and tablets) could be as addictive.

I stopped for 10 weeks using ziban, but then I thought I could stop and start again as I pleased but it never worked that way.

Making another apointment with my GP to get me on the Ziban again, this time I know the score though.

good luck however you do it, just do it.

Say What Again

Exactly the same as me 269, I don't smoke any other time except the pub. I can carry fags around in my pocket for 2-3 days (usually the longest I go without a beer) and the thought of smoking one never enters my head.

Order a beer in the pub and I'll be outside smoking within an hour. :wacko:

Say What Again
but then I thought I could stop and start again as I pleased but it never worked that way.

The same trap I fell into a few years back.

I stopped for 7 months then though 'just the 1 and I'll stop again after that'

Doofus!

My aunt gave up because my uncle told her she couldn?t, scoffingly, and she did it to prove him wrong. She never smoked another cigarette (about 6 years ago). She was going through mountains of (non-nicotine) chewing gum, in a quite obsessional way. She went on holiday to Italy and took loads "in case they didn?t have that kind in Italy". Now she is off them as well. Good luck, cigarettes did a lot to kill my mother when she was 36, they are not a good thing.

Nearly 2 years since I stopped. I went cold turkey and was actually ok for 1st few days as I had horrible cold and didnt really need a fag with my coughing and spluttering. By about a week I felt like crap and really wanted fags, but ate stuff instead, think i got addicted to wine gums and had to wean myself off them! I did put on a stone which was pretty bad, but losing that now and back to just eating ok stuff.

I found nights the hardest like coffee and ciggie go together and I never snacked at night or even eat big meals as a smoker.

Think you need something to occupy your hands when trying to stop so as a guy well.....:) or what I did was play rubbish games on my phone instead of fags or snacks! Actually still do that sometimes whilst watching tv still. I have had 2 fags in last 2 years one was on way back from the footy after rubbish game and an argument with an ex, as I always kept a pack in my car just incase I wanted one. I nearly choked on it though and couldnt smoke the whole thing. The last time I had one was when my friend lost her hubby in tragic accident in October, everyone was smoking and I really felt like I needed one, but again I found it horrible. So I think I know i wont ever smoke again after that. I was a smoker for 20 years before that

I went cold turkey as the smoking ban started. I went on the **** for 3 nights in a row as no one else could smoke in pubs, and after the 3rd night I was happy that I could go a night on the lash without needing a fag. After not smoking when I was drinking, everything else is easy.

It's not a way of quitting that I would recommend to everyone, but it worked for me. Not smoked in nearly two years.

Cheers for the help guys...

Wouldnt touch Ziban, solely down to the fact its a mild anti depressant and I drink way too much be doing that.... plus seen my old man get pished whilst on it, looked fun if slightly out of control lol.

Defo going cold turkey... its been almost 16hrs.... woo hoo.

Yvonne, thanks for your help and all that but a man wouldny keep my hands busy pal.

Guest GhostHunter
I stopped for 10 weeks using ziban, but then I thought I could stop and start again as I pleased but it never worked that way.

Making another apointment with my GP to get me on the Ziban again, this time I know the score though.

good luck however you do it, just do it.

Is Zyban good though ?

No side effects etc ?

And, is it true, that you keep going as normal for 2 weeks, then all of a sudden stop ?

If so, them's the babies for me.

:ninja:

Commander Harris

I quit smoking almost 2 years ago now. I just went cold turkey, don't believe in this Nicotene replacement gubbins!

it was VERY tough at first but you just have to be disciplined. Stop completely, don't taper off, don't have the odd one occassionally. The very first week or two is really difficult but if you can get through that the rest is all in the head.

Is Zyban good though ?

No side effects etc ?

And, is it true, that you keep going as normal for 2 weeks, then all of a sudden stop ?

See my post mate... My dad done it, he can drink, he drank and they sent him loopy, not long term but acid giggles, lets say emotional drunk....... strong stuff mate so be careful if you ask me.

Commander Harris
Is Zyban good though ?

No side effects etc ?

it's based on a fairly well tolerated anti-depressant.(basically the same thing re-packaged) If you are on certain anti-depressants or have epilepsy or other problems with seizures you probably wouldn't be prescribed it.

like KennyM says - there can be psychological side effects as they are a drug for treating depression.

Guest GhostHunter
See my post mate... My dad done it, he can drink, he drank and they sent him loopy, not long term but acid giggles, lets say emotional drunk....... strong stuff mate so be careful if you ask me.
- SO basically, Step Away From The PC - And Leave The Server Alone, if I take them :)

it's based on a fairly well tolerated anti-depressant.(basically the same thing re-packaged) If you are on certain anti-depressants or have epilepsy or other problems with seizures you probably wouldn't be prescribed it.

like KennyM says - there can be psychological side effects as they are a drug for treating depression.

- building a new server and installing a new board, then watching 1100 people batter it just now - is enough of a psychological assault for me.

Think I'll go Cold Turkey.

Gobble Gobble :confused:

I've heard an elastic band helps, something to keep your twitching hand occupied with.

Also a large tub of assortied lollies when you need something in your gob. ;)

I've heard an elastic band helps, something to keep your twitching hand occupied with.

Also a large tub of assortied lollies when you need something in your gob. ;)

haha like your thinking... when I read the elastic band bit I was like... what!

Forever Maroon
Just decided I'm not going to smoke any more...

bit stupid but going to see A. If I have the will power to just wake up and make a snap decision like this and B. If I fail how long I can last.

So far I've eaten 2 bacon rolls and a ham sandwich with coleslaw, I know I cant go on like this so what next??

I'm also drinking lots of water....

Well?

PS I have a nice pipe back home so the J's will stop!

don't buy any

Professor.Arturo

I quit trying to quit years ago!

Smoke = a lot!

Drink = a lot!

Yup, it gets to the stage in life where you see cancer and liver failure as an escape more than a disease :ninja:

Commander Harris
don't buy any

I was going to say that. :)

it sounds overly simple but it really is the most important thing when quitting smoking.

Not being a smoker, is it too easy to say dont put them in your mouth?

Easier said than done I guess. Or lock away money you would spend on fags. Or buy candy sticks...

don't buy any

I've not....

I'm 17hrs in and got a sore head.... is that normal lol. Am I gonna die if I dinny have another fag?

Not being a smoker, is it too easy to say dont put them in your mouth?

Easier said than done I guess. Or lock away money you would spend on fags. Or buy candy sticks...

Was thinking about printing of my favorite girl from a 'high class call girl' site then sticking it to a jar and puting my cash in that,

dont think the bird would appreciate that tho.

How did folk get over the fuzzy head stage?

I always make it to about a week (when the worst of the cravings are gone) then jack it when the ability to think straight deserts me.

Not that I'm making excuses or anything, like :D

Was thinking about printing of my favorite girl from a 'high class call girl' site then sticking it to a jar and puting my cash in that,

dont think the bird would appreciate that tho.

1.jpg

How about this picture? Fag money...:ninja:

Pretty sure they'll never stop sticking fags in their mouths.

my pc screen has just been sprayed with orange and pinapple squash and got a punch off the wife (dont why)

Can explain the spraying of juice... but the punch?? Oh aye, can explain that too..... who wouldny want to punch you. :P

Dunk-Section G
Dinny go cold turkey!!

Cut down gradually. Buy miniging fags like Ducados/Marlboro red so every fag is less enjoyable.

I like Ducados!

13 EUROS for 200 in Spain!

jack D and coke
Three people I know tried the hypnotism thing, two quit and one didn't. I, as a non smoker would suggest that cold turkey is the way to go. All these nicotine replacement ideas (chuggie, patches and tablets) could be as addictive.

Exactly my view. Why would you stop smoking and keep putting nicotine into your body when after your last fag the nicotine is gone in 3 days from your system. Your making it worse and dragging the process out. As a smoker myself i've stopped and started numerous times ranging from weeks to as long as a year. I don't find the actual stopping that difficult i just find that after a few months or so especially in the summer i have an 'occasional' one with a pint and before i know it i'm buying 20 snouts with my paper in the morning again.

The Allen Carr book's worth a look if you haven't read it. I'm going to read mine again and hopefully stop for good this year.

Exactly my view. Why would you stop smoking and keep putting nicotine into your body when after your last fag the nicotine is gone in 3 days from your system. Your making it worse and dragging the process out. As a smoker myself i've stopped and started numerous times ranging from weeks to as long as a year. I don't find the actual stopping that difficult i just find that after a few months or so especially in the summer i have an 'occasional' one with a pint and before i know it i'm buying 20 snouts with my paper in the morning again.

The Allen Carr book's worth a look if you haven't read it. I'm going to read mine again and hopefully stop for good this year.

Was thinking of reading it but wanna be one of these people who turn and say to smokers who cant quit...

"yeh I just stopped one day" "woke up and thought nah not any more" haha.

Was thinking of reading it but wanna be one of these people who turn and say to smokers who cant quit...

"yeh I just stopped one day" "woke up and thought nah not any more" haha.

You just want to be like me eh :cheese:

I stopped for six months after reading Alan Carr's book, I should never had started again, but the temptation got to me.

Get it in your head that you are no longer a smoker, smoking gives you nothing, it does nothing to enhance your life. It's not pleasant, it doesn't taste good, it makes you smell bad, it damages your health, it costs a lot of money. What do you get in return?

It takes about three weeks for the chemical addiction to stop, the physical craving. After that it's psychological, that's the hard bit.

Carr doesn't believe in patches, gum etc. He argues that it creates and impounds the psychological addiction, you don't need nicotene.

Also when you stop you cough up some amazing lumps of slimy, chewy catarrh. It's fun!

Get onto XBox live (if you have one), it keeps me occupied for hours without even thinking of a fag. Works for me, although I still smoke.

I stopped a year ago on Monday. Never had a lum since. I used the niquitine lozenges. Taste like sheeite, but I think they worked well.

Cheers for the help guys...

Wouldnt touch Ziban, solely down to the fact its a mild anti depressant and I drink way too much be doing that.... plus seen my old man get pished whilst on it, looked fun if slightly out of control lol.

Defo going cold turkey... its been almost 16hrs.... woo hoo.

Yvonne, thanks for your help and all that but a man wouldny keep my hands busy pal.

I got mild memory loss on it (ziban) but apart from that, no mad side effects.

Cold turkey's the only way.

And try to avoid the temptation to turn into a self-righteous p**** as well!

Cold turkey's the only way.

And try to avoid the temptation to turn into a self-righteous p**** as well!

Oh what............ thats my only reason.

19 hrs in and gaggin on a cig, Moan the will power!

Seriously though, exercise is probably the best way to get over it. Gets the endorphins going in your body and gives you a good reason not to smoke as well. A regular game of fivies would do it if you can't face running or swimming...

And watch yourself on the J's. Very easy way to get back on the nicotine again. Done that many times in the past!

Still going strong.... almost killed my girl friend last night tho..

She said...

"Your not ill your only trying to stop smoking"

Oooft had to restrain my self.

I had a single skinner of pure green last night, not going to touch tobac at all for at least a month, maybe for ever.

All your dreams are made when you're chained to the mirror and the razor blade.

hahaha Morning Glory is your logic.... cool. Wouldnt that be more of a cocaine thing tho? No?

Archived