League Cup Semi-Final Memories

The_Supreme_Being

The_Supreme_Being

With the semi-final draw being made today, just wondered what everyone's best and worst memories of league cup semi-finals were.

Best would be beating Dundee at Easter Road after knocking out Celtic in the quarters and playing one of the old time classic finals v Rangers.

Worst has to be last season, just because we were cheated out of a final place, and a Dundee United-Hearts final would have been a cracker.

With the semi-final draw being made today, just wondered what everyone's best and worst memories of league cup semi-finals were.

Best would be beating Dundee at Easter Road after knocking out Celtic in the quarters and playing one of the old time classic finals v Rangers.

Worst has to be last season, just because we were cheated out of a final place, and a Dundee United-Hearts final would have been a cracker.

Worst? The one a decade ago! :eek:

Best? There is only one for many of us, isn't there? :)

How were we cheated?

Worst for me is the semi at Fester Rd versus St Johnston. Shambolic performance , a terrible result and Jambos fighting amongst themselves that night. The last two against the Huns have been disappointing because we just never seemed to turn up.

1978/79? Celtic at Hampden.

JJ's short backpass puts them 1-0 up.

Then Malky Robertson is 1 on 1 with their goalie, dribbles round him, then delays too long and goalie grabs the ball while we're all celebrating a goal.

And there was a wee altercation between the two sets of fans.

First time at Hampden and very disappointed.

Hearts Heritage

Very strange thread this. You would have to be nearly 60 to have memories of more than 1 LC semi victory. They've nearly all been rank rotten.

The semi against Well at ER sticks in mind

We went out but it was a cracking football game, pretty sure Hjalmer and jamie mac scored ours. Score was either 3-2 or 4-3.

Just sticks in mind as a game I enjoyed despite the result

Nothing will compare to 06 semi though :)

lost in leith

Memories of two in the 80s, when the semis were over two legs.

Thinking we were back in the big time when we took 6-7000 to Ibrox midweek when we were still in the first division.

Going to Tannadice for a midweek game during the Miners' strike when there was a lot of bother. Plenty of Hearts fans got lifted. Noticed that every guy who passed me on his way to a night in the cells had a 'Support the Miners' badge on. Coincidence :rolleyes:

Even though we lost the semi against Motherwell at Easter Road was a great night with us hugely outnumbering them. And I got a great black eye in the chaos in the East Stand when our equaliser for extra time went in.

getting the draw wrong last season, then re-doing it and we ended up with Rangers, something from the west smells

No the P.O. called the numbers wrong. In the practice run and the live draw. Nothing else, no west coast conspiracy.

Definately the St Johnstone game was the worst, first time I'd seen Hearts beaten at Fester Rd, best was the Dundee semi because it gave us hope so close to the pain of the SC Final defeat a few months earlier

Jam Tarts 1874
Memories of two in the 80s, when the semis were over two legs.

Thinking we were back in the big time when we took 6-7000 to Ibrox midweek when we were still in the first division.

Going to Tannadice for a midweek game during the Miners' strike when there was a lot of bother. Plenty of Hearts fans got lifted. Noticed that every guy who passed me on his way to a night in the cells had a 'Support the Miners' badge on. Coincidence :rolleyes:

I thought we did a pretty good job of being back in the big-time. Rangers 2 goals at Ibrox came late on and we played pretty well in the home leg too with Rangers' only goal in the 1-1 coming from a ridiculous (where have I heard that before?!) penalty decision. Was that the night someone won a Miller home and a car? I think it was - wasn't even won by an Hearts fan! Mercer really was some guy!

Archived