Anyone remember Peter McDougall films?

Randle P McMurphy

Randle P McMurphy

Does anyone remember any of these from the 70s? Just Another Saturday, Elephants Graveyard etc. Great films which were a rite of passage when I was a boy.

Not sure of the etiquette of recommending offers but there is a great offer just now at the place where the wee dug listens to the gramaphone. Search under Peter McDougall.

Sawdust Caesar

Just another Saturday, was that the one about a ref scoring with a header in an amateur game? That was a good film.

boy_in_maroon
Just another Saturday, was that the one about a ref scoring with a header in an amateur game? That was a good film.

no, it was about the orange walks and how he gets p1553d off with the whole meaning of it, starred jon morrison

only a boys game is the best of the 4

Thank you Kinnek. I'm getting this. I'm old enough to have all these collected on video. Some of them were on sale individually over the last couple of years, but were a bit expensive. Great scripts and stories. Agree with boy in maroon. Only a Boy's Game is excellent. Had a great blues singer called Frankie Miller in a leading role. The more elderly of us will remember him with affection and admiration.

Cappuccino Kid

Bought the set of them in HMV a month or so back. Great value for money. Seems to have stood the test of time as my 17 year old son watched them and thought they were really good.

Does anyone remember any of these from the 70s? Just Another Saturday, Elephants Graveyard etc. Great films which were a rite of passage when I was a boy.

Not sure of the etiquette of recommending offers but there is a great offer just now at the place where the wee dug listens to the gramaphone. Search under Peter McDougall.

The old days when everyone watched the "Play of the Month" on the telly:)

Brilliant stuff!

The Slab Boys with Frankie Miller was good as well.

Bought the set of them in HMV a month or so back. Great value for money. Seems to have stood the test of time as my 17 year old son watched them and thought they were really good.

How much was that?

Your spot on , I bought the dvd collection on Saturday well worth the price paid. I saw it advertised in Aberdeen a few months ago , but didn`t get it at the time I`m glad I didn`t as it was ?8 cheaper on Saturday.

Your spot on , I bought the dvd collection on Saturday well worth the price paid. I saw it advertised in Aberdeen a few months ago , but didn`t get it at the time I`m glad I didn`t as it was ?8 cheaper on Saturday.

Not a film, but did you fellas get TISWAS?

"Just a Boys Game" was one of Peter McDougalls best and starred our own Hector Nicol. He certainly wrote some great stuff in the good old 70's.

Thanks Kinneck. I was talking about Elephants Graveyard to the missus the other day and I couldn't remember what it was called. Totally blew me away that play. Class. Didn't realise that the others were by him too. I remember them all well. Will grab that dvd.

On a similar note, anyone remember the plays based on Graham Greenes books, called Shades of Greene. The one I remember best was all these young lads who demolished the local old grumps house brick by brick.

Did Peter McDougall not do another TV film years later, starring Connelly as a bank robber who planned a heist using an orange march as cover?

IIRC, they were timing the vault explosions along with the Lambeg drums.

"Just a Boys Game" was one of Peter McDougalls best and starred our own Hector Nicol. He certainly wrote some great stuff in the good old 70's.

Some amazing scenes in that.

Frankie is in the pub next to the turnstiles at Cappielow, when all of a sudden a huge fight breaks out - chibs, bottles ...

Frankie and his mate go round with a wee cairry-out to see the local slag, Bella, in her cooncil hoose one afternoon.

"Hey, Bella you could do this place up and keep pigs in it !!"

"Naw they wouldnae like that, son"

The final fight in the container yard is very scary.

Must-watch-again TV.

Got the box set a year ago and they are as good and gritty as I remember. Ken Hutchison should be a bigger star than Connery (Freddie Boardley and Gregor Fisher in that clip too). Some of Just another Saturday was shot in Edinburgh, to avoid Glasgow's fauna getting too involved, and the bank scene in Down Among the Big Boys was shot round the corner from me. Great seeing how grotty Scotland was 30 years ago, I'd nearly forgotten.

Randle P McMurphy

Watched Just A Boys Game last night. Absolute classic tv.

McCafferty..... your teas oot

Come ahead McQuillan

Archived