Wroclaw

Alan_R

Booked my flights today to the supposedly picturesque Polish town. Going over with a few mates, we will be spending new year here where there will supposedly be a massive party (which our kilts will no doubt go down well at :cool:) then we are heading across the border to Czech Republic for a week or so on the slopes snowboarding.

Anyone been before, whats it like as I know next to nothing about the place to be honest?

Also anyone know anywhere in edinburgh I can get some cheap ski gear?

good choice, very few stag do's and that (unlike krakpw/warsaw) should be an authentic experience and cheap beer, around ?1.50 a pint. Poland's great, spent two months there in the summer, the locals are sound and the culture is very fun. you'll have a great time in Wroclaw.

cheers, yeah we didn't want anywhere too touristy. Is there much to do there, any 'attractions'? bar the women which I hear are quite something? :P

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Im going to a stag there in February. Looked on the internet and it looks not bad. Is the beer really as cheap as they say?

Was there last year on a stag do, was magic, not quite as cheap as places like Prague, but still cheap enough. Loads of gd boozers and nightclubs, im sure you will enjoy it!

Im going to a stag there in February. Looked on the internet and it looks not bad. Is the beer really as cheap as they say?

I was there last year and ?1.50 a pint sounds quite expensive. In the right bars it is less than a pound.

polish new year is nuts. i went to krakow for new year a couple of years back with my bird and it was scary to say the least. the centre of krakow has a square about the same size as george sq in glasgow but with a building taking up most of it. they then only use one other side for the music and acts on a massive stage. there must of been about 50000 folk trying to sqeeze into the space and crowd control was almost non existant bar a few police manning some barrier which only caused a bottle neck. all through the night the poles love to drink champagne/sparkling wine and when the bottle is finished it is tradtion to launch it in the air and not really care where it lands, which can be pretty dangerous in a crowded area. also, whilst they like to get very drunk they carry around a small arsenal of fireworks and set them off all over the shop. the smashing of bottles and fireworks faded about7/8 in the morning.

my suggestion is find a pub i had a few near misses with the bottles. poland is amasing tho and i have been a few times now and would go again anyday.

I'm off to Krakow next friday :)

I'm away there next Wednesday

I'm away there next Wednesday

krakow is ace its so good i have been twice. a lot of the good pubs and clubs are in the closes off the side streets or in a very unassuming door that leads into a celler, proper beer halle style. no windows = no sense of time = bar stays open till the last man leaves. beer was mega cheap when i was there last about ?1 to ?1.20 but expect it will be more expensive now tho due to polands ecomony being far stronger than it was.

PS wrap up warm - when i was there it was baltic -8 at night and that was in november a few years ago. never felt cold like it.

i took a day trip to aushcwitz and it was very humbling. train leaves in the morning and takes about 1 1/2. well worth the visit. it will stay with you for the rest of you life. when i was there i wrapped up like i was going snowboarding and was still absolutlely frozen, there was about a foot of snow that day. could not comprehend how people managed to live in those conditions.

on a lighter note there is an irish bar not far from the main square just of the royal way that show all the sports channels if you need to get a sporst fix.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~patto1ro/krakpubs.htm its called the irish arms. has very fit barmaids too.

there is also a hootersesque burger bar place called roosters that a big group of lads may enjoy;)

You can also get a bus to Auschwitz from Krakow which is actually a bit quicker. I'd rather go round there than pay ?20 to go round the saltmines again.

You can also get a bus to Auschwitz from Krakow which is actually a bit quicker. I'd rather go round there than pay ?20 to go round the saltmines again.

another thing... how much did Auchwitz cost? I'm definately going to it but would like to know anyway. thanks.

another thing... how much did Auchwitz cost? I'm definately going to it but would like to know anyway. thanks.

About a fiver a couple of years ago (I can't believe it was that long ago !)

it costs zero if you want to walk around yourself and there is a free bus connecting the two sites. it costs if you want a guide to take you around.

the saltmines looked good on paper but not ?20 good. got to go to auschwitz. its a one off experiance.

Yeah, you're correct on both counts. I'd say that unless you have a very strong knowledge of Auschwitz you want to go round with a guide, you will get so much more out of the experience that way.

The saltmines were, by the way, excellent. But if you're only going to do one, definitely go to Auschwitz.

Archived