CIS Cup Draw- NHC

Sexton Hardcastle

Did you really expect anything different?

the only difference it could have been was

celtic v falkirk

rangers v dundee utd

alwaysthereinspirit

They should really just do a coin toss between Rankgers and Celtic and the winner gets the choice of playing Tuesday or Wednesday.

Has anyone ever worked out the odds of two teams going into a hat with two other teams over a 40 year period and pretty much never being drawn together.

this_is_my_story
They should really just do a coin toss between Rankgers and Celtic and the winner gets the choice of playing Tuesday or Wednesday.

Has anyone ever worked out the odds of two teams going into a hat with two other teams over a 40 year period and pretty much never being drawn together.

Was going to post something about that.... I'm sure it was round about early 90's, and some statistician had worked out the odds of Celtic & Rangers only having been drawn against each other the amount of times they actually were, at the semi-final stage. Can't remember the figure, but the odds were astronomical.

Make of that what you will!

i remember in 01-02 rangers and celtic met in the semis cause bert konterman scored an absoulte peach of a long range shot.

Also remember in 04-05 the scottish cup 3rd round was Celtic v Rangers and some sky pundit said "THIS SHOULD BE THE FINAL" tw@t

Was going to post something about that.... I'm sure it was round about early 90's, and some statistician had worked out the odds of Celtic & Rangers only having been drawn against each other the amount of times they actually were, at the semi-final stage. Can't remember the figure, but the odds were astronomical.

It was Sandy Sutherland in Sutherland's Statistical Sidelines (think I've got that right) in a now defunct Sunday newspaper, possibly the Sunday Standard. I think the odds he quoted for a period of about thirty years were in the billions to one against. Things did change in the period after that (I'm not suggesting that Sutherland had anything to do with this) and the OF have been drawn against each other on occasion.

Charlie-Brown

I'm sure it will be on Scotland Today tomorrow evening that they've made a mix up and Rangers and Celtic are to play each other......:rolleyes:

Hearts Heritage

It was me. Since 'open draws' they have met more often than they should.

I'll dig out the figures.

Hearts Heritage

Scottish Cup 1926 to 1989

1926 SC APART

1928 SC APART

1929 SC APART

1948 SC APART

1954 SC APART

1960 SC TOGETHER

1962 SC APART

1963 SC APART

1966 SC APART

1969 SC APART

1971 SC APART

1972 SC APART

1973 SC APART

1977 SC APART

1980 SC APART

1981 SC APART

1983 SC APART

1989 SC APART

Hearts Heritage

the odds of them being apart in a 'fair draw' is 2/3.

If it's 2 draws it would be 2*2 / 3*3 = 4 / 9

For 12 draws consecutively this would be

2*2 (12 times) / 3*3 (12) times

=4096 / 531441 = 0.007707347

about 130-1 against.

Fix again to make sure, the refs will be ordered to give everything to the weegies so its a show case of the evil twins in the final.

Professor.Arturo
the odds of them being apart in a 'fair draw' is 2/3.

If it's 2 draws it would be 2*2 / 3*3 = 4 / 9

For 12 draws consecutively this would be

2*2 (12 times) / 3*3 (12) times

=4096 / 531441 = 0.007707347

about 130-1 against.

Can anyone have any doubts now?

They are kept apart for a reason..........????????????

Hearts Heritage
Can anyone have any doubts now?

They are kept apart for a reason..........????????????

Since 'open draws' they have met more times than 1 in 3.

Archived