Was kids telly better years ago

andi17

Was telly better in our childhoods, ok there was great programmes but why so many baddly dubbed ones like robinson crusoe,flashinng blade,or does anyone out there remember the singing ringing tree was so bad think that its a bit of a cult now.

Miles better. I reckon my particular vintage (circa 82) were spolit for choice.

mcog_cover.jpg

dogtanian.jpg

news_20061004_full.jpg

To name but 3!

TV now is awful compared to what I had growing up (born 1983)

Thundercats

Transformers

TMNT

Bananaman

Dangermouse

Dogtanian

MASK

Superted

They don't make them like they used to!

Say What Again
Miles better. I reckon my particular vintage (circa 82) were spolit for choice.

mcog_cover.jpg

dogtanian.jpg

news_20061004_full.jpg

To name but 3!

and 3 excellent choices they are!

Other favourites of mine - along with the 3 you've chosen - were:

pitstop.jpg

godzilla.jpg

ulysses%5B9%5D.jpg

Say What Again

All the cartoons I posted above are from when I was getting old enough to really enjoy them.

My favourite from when I was really young, and can olnly just remember, was:

0898-Bod~Bod-Posters.jpg

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Was telly better in our childhoods, ok there was great programmes but why so many baddly dubbed ones like robinson crusoe,flashinng blade,or does anyone out there remember the singing ringing tree was so bad think that its a bit of a cult now.

It was only better because you were actually a child.

I recently bought the Transformers (80s version) cartoon movie for my girlfriends 5 year old laddie and he thinks it is pish (my words, not his ;)). I think Ben 10 and Spongebob are just as good as any we used to watch, not that I watch them very often :whistling:

Say What Again
It was only better because you were actually a child.

I recently bought the Transformers (80s version) cartoon movie for my girlfriends 5 year old laddie and he thinks it is pish (my words, not his ;)). I think Ben 10 and Spongebob are just as good as any we used to watch, not that I watch them very often :whistling:

You're right Gav.

I saw a cult kids classic DVD in HMV a year or so back. It had Jamie and The Magic Torch, Rainbow, Chorlton and the Wheelies & Button Moon amongst others. It was only ?3 so I bought it for my cousin for her wee one.

I watched it first and thought it was pish. I then gave it to my cousin and she said the wee man thought it was pish too. :(

Ungrateful little **** :mad:

All my kids watch is cartoons and whilst a couple are pretty good, Ben 10, Totally Spies and the Powerpuff Girls to name a few there's a lot of absolute crap, Ed, Edd and Eddy, Billy and Mandy and the Cramp Twins for example.

We had quality like Blue Peter (when it was good) and Animal Magic and Grange Hill, it just seems to be all cartoons these days.

Is it wrong that I fancy Kim Possible?

kim-possible.gif

Don't do an unfiltered google image search for Kim Possible, sick and wrong stuff, really don't, it's not worth it. (You're going to do it now aren't you? Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it, for goodness sake at least send the kids out of the room)

This thread ain't going to pass without us doffing our collective cap towards the Glenn Michael Cartoon Cavalcade

Glenn-Michael1.jpg

I was on that once, January 2nd 1983. I recall Glen Michael as a fat old arrogant child hating grump.

Of questionable sexuality...

How did I not remember this one?

3278d1200981295-you-now-have-power-070704cartoon_heman-jpg

Couple years ago when I worked in HMV p/t I bought Dogtanian and 80 days around the world on DVD for ?10 each. They were still genius. Nothing more heart breaking than watching something you mind being awesome and it being ***** tho.

jamboinglasgow
There was no better theme tune than Willie Fogg.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3XFbLVcFXUo

Buffalo Bill

I used to love that show, it was great and also a bit bizarre (though I dont ask me how, just leaves me feeling odd now) (also how tall is that female cat in the theme tune, she is as tall as a ship.)

Loved it that after they did this they decided to do "to the center of the earth."

All my kids watch is cartoons and whilst a couple are pretty good, Ben 10, Totally Spies and the Powerpuff Girls to name a few there's a lot of absolute crap, Ed, Edd and Eddy, Billy and Mandy and the Cramp Twins for example.

We had quality like Blue Peter (when it was good) and Animal Magic and Grange Hill, it just seems to be all cartoons these days.

Is it wrong that I fancy Kim Possible?

kim-possible.gif

Don't do an unfiltered google image search for Kim Possible, sick and wrong stuff, really don't, it's not worth it. (You're going to do it now aren't you? Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it, for goodness sake at least send the kids out of the room)

Yup, unfiltered google image searches can really open your eyes. To be fair Kim possible is a good cartoon but it has now been canned. Love some modern cartoons as they are funny to adults as well, Spongebob and Fairy odd parents.

I do think that we will always have a soft spot for the shows that we grew up with that means modern shows are rubbish compared but I still think the shows are not as good nowadays as they were years ago. They are too similar, every cartoon now a days is either about kung-fu kids or spy kids or the shows are about a music singer (Hannah Montanna needs to be scrapped, it is ruining kids taste in music.) And there are shows when the group of kids have the eaxct same personalities in each program. Each have the most annoying character (a slightly geeky boy who is a bit wacky, over interested in girls, full of silly plans, think superbads Seth but not funny at all.)

problem is that america's childrens output has been extensivly put through focus groups so that it has nothing original in it anymore.

Secret Squirrel

Wacky Races

Yogi Bear

Sooty & Sweep

Dangermouse

Grange Hill

Jossy's Giants

Godzilla

Crackerjack

The Flashing Blade

Heidi

Rent-a-ghost

The Box of Delights

Stop the pigeon

Tiswas

The White Cockade

Children of The Stones

The Changes

Tomorrow People

Time Slip

Speed Buggy

White Horses

Belle and Sebastian

Robinson Crusoe

Clapperboard

Screen Test

Perhaps some of the kids programmes from back in the day were superior, but the best cartoon of them all, The Simpsons, was way after my time!

Mac_fae_Gillie

Kids TV was repeated less in the 70s/80s

My Daughter(and me to a degree been in next room)watchs NICK/Disney

programmes straight after school same episodes are repeated monthly its crazy.

As for badly Dubbed,loved the flashing Blade,just youtubed it.

All those school holiday programmes were great.

1930s Fash Gordon or BUCK ROGERS

Stan and Ollie or Harold Lloyd

Champion the Wonder Horse or The Lone Ranger

White Horse or Flashing Blade or Black Beauty

good old Warner Cartoons for 30mins solid

Then a Movie,,,Yep a Movie for kids at 10am diring school holidays

okay so it was a Disney live action or Abbot/Costello or Hope/Crosby

nowadays kids are taught about buying houses or selling stuff from the attic.

Use to fancy the girl in Little House on the Prairie,then i got older so fancied her older sister...darn her mum looks good now :(

Of course the afternoons went a bit girly with an Elvis flic or the Shadows in a

darn red bus with a poof and Una stubbs.

TV was better set out.

Cartoons were great but i cant compare them to todays asa i dont watch em

but Dangermouse was amazing

and the endless sci/fi cartoons and Dangeon and Dragons were fantastic,did they ever get home???

northfieldhearts

Of course it was better! Where do you start - He-Man, Superted, Dogtanian, Gummi Bears, Ulysses, Mysterious Cities of Gold, Dungeons & Dragons, Thomas the Tank Engine, Thundercats, Button Moon etc etc!

Say What Again
All those school holiday programmes were great.

1930s Fash Gordon or BUCK ROGERS

Stan and Ollie or Harold Lloyd

Champion the Wonder Horse or The Lone Ranger

White Horse or Flashing Blade or Black Beauty

They were great - but you missed my favourite off the list!

zorro1.jpg

Michael Bentines Potty Time

ep5-01.jpg

Stig of the dump

stig.jpg

HR Pufnstuf

pufnstuf.jpg[/

HRPUFFENSTUFF forgot about all about that great stuff.

Banana Splits was sheer class. The Sour Grapes Bunch were tent-makers for a boy of 10.

Sourgrapes.jpg

The Double Deckers was truly superb.

Theme: http://www.mythemes.tv/series/themes/opening/doublede.mp3

ddsong.jpg

Gameshows like Runaround with Mike "Teeeeeeeriiiifffffiiiiiic" Reed,

runaround1.jpg

runaround13.jpg

Cheggers Plays Pop (bet he wishes he'd stuck to drinking pop)

Cheggers_Plays_Pop.jpg

Ivor the Engine with the dragon in his boiler.

Also don't forget the ITV version of Blue Peter called Magpie. Hosted by Jenny Hanley :):):)

Dinah%27s%20Daughter%20Jenny%20Hanley.jpg

Bad shows included the dubbed Heidi and Belle and Sebastian.

Being a parent of young children in the 70's and 80's was a great excuse to watch Tiswas and get twitchy about Sally James, especially when she displayed all the Royal Navy cap bands that sailors sent in on her thighs !!!

Archived