Arsenal Youth v Wigan

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Anyone watching?

Pretty interesting to see how they will do against Wigan who are a decent side.

That Vela is standing out already, what a player he is going to be.

arsenal have had lots of chances, should of scored maybe 3. kirkland is outstanding tonight but the defence need to do better for wigan to stop the young guns getting through.

vela looks a great player but should of scored instead of taking it round the goalie.

Arsenal defence looks a bit shakey but good game so far.

Looks like Chris 'made of glass' kirkland is coming off.

I take it you watched unbreakable last night.:P

Guess The Crowd

If he does come off, Hearts connection?

Good goal, boy runs to celebrate with a sub on the bench. No booking, and rightly so. If Bruno is watching this he must be baffled, apparently scoring a goal and celebrating with friends is only acceptable in England. What a backwater we really are.

Goldstone Wonder
Alan Parry reckons it's 6;)

Not sure if he's correct on that score but he said earlier that Wenger had never got the Erse to a Carling Cup Final. I could have sworn they got to the final a couple of years ago and lost to Chelsea when Terry got knocked out and ended up in Hospital.

Not sure if he's correct on that score but he said earlier that Wenger had never got the Erse to a Carling Cup Final. I could have sworn they got to the final a couple of years ago and lost to Chelsea when Terry got knocked out and ended up in Hospital.

Definately 8 teenagers mate.:)

Definately 8 teenagers mate.:)

hoyte, gibbs, randall, merida, vela, simpson, wilshere, ramsey are all teenagers

great counter attack, vela sprints away, squares it and simpson blasts in his 2nd from 8 yards. 2-0 arsenal

J.T.F.Robertson

Unbelievable ability, some of these young Arsenal guys. How do they keep coming up with them?

Playing the way they are tonight, this team would be up at the top end of the Premiership.

Impressive for a team where the oldest player is 23. Majority of players are 19 or younger.

Makes me feel a slight sense of worthlessness at 21... =(

Malinga the Swinga

Poor old Wilshire, can't get the man of match as he is too young. Like the comment that he was subbed at 9.25 as his mum phoned Wegner and said he had to be home by 9.30 at latest.

Poor old Wilshire, can't get the man of match as he is too young. Like the comment that he was subbed at 9.25 as his mum phoned Wegner and said he had to be home by 9.30 at latest.

he had to get home and finish his homework for tomorrow.

What a thoroughly worthwhile 90 mins to spend of an evening!!!

It was a joy to watch, and notable that when things got a bit tougher in the 2nd half the defence came good.

Never been a Gunners fan, but how I wish I was watching half that every week!!!

Wenger does know how the game should be played and with a couple of experienced, quality players along with the youngsters in the 1st team, never mind the reserves, they could go places - but they need that experience and steel.

jamboinglasgow

great football from a very young team. I really admire Arsenal and think if we emulated them then we could at least be challenging among the old firm. Think Csaba is trying to do that but it will take time.

What about the save at the end from the 'keeper.

WORLD CLASS GOALKEEPNG!!

Buffalo Bill

Good goal, boy runs to celebrate with a sub on the bench. No booking, and rightly so. If Bruno is watching this he must be baffled, apparently scoring a goal and celebrating with friends is only acceptable in England. What a backwater we really are.

I think that you will find that this type of behaviour is acceptable in all countries that play football, even Scotland. Of course the Scotland part requires clarification in that only Celtic and Rangers are provided this privelege whilst all other clubs in the SPL are not. Oh how lucky we are to live and watch the only football in the world that is not blighted with corruption according to the SFA.

The Real Maroonblood
What a thoroughly worthwhile 90 mins to spend of an evening!!!

It was a joy to watch, and notable that when things got a bit tougher in the 2nd half the defence came good.

Never been a Gunners fan, but how I wish I was watching half that every week!!!

Wenger does know how the game should be played and with a couple of experienced, quality players along with the youngsters in the 1st team, never mind the reserves, they could go places - but they need that experience and steel.

Totally agree with the bit in bold.

We_are_the_Hearts
great football from a very young team. I really admire Arsenal and think if we emulated them then we could at least be challenging among the old firm. Think Csaba is trying to do that but it will take time.

No chance if he can't even appoint his own coaches. Arsenal youngsters are trained for pace, power, movement, positional awareness, agility and technique. Every one of their players has that burst of pace over a short distance and can make space for themself by passing and moving and having awareness. It's not luck but QUALITY coaching and a TOP scouting system. We have neither and if Romanov had any sense he would invest more in that.

Guest JamboRobbo
It's not luck but QUALITY coaching and a TOP scouting system. We have neither and if Romanov had any sense he would invest more in that.

Hit the nail on the head.

Thats why the hearts youngsters are not getting a chance,they are not ready yet,through no fault of there own.We definately lack a top youth coach.Many young talented players are ****ed off at hearts,through lack of guidance and encouragement,they want to get this sorted out,or we will lose quality youngsters,its no good just throwing a 3-4 year deal at them,they need more.

Are you listening mr.romanov....

No chance if he can't even appoint his own coaches. Arsenal youngsters are trained for pace, power, movement, positional awareness, agility and technique. Every one of their players has that burst of pace over a short distance and can make space for themself by passing and moving and having awareness. It's not luck but QUALITY coaching and a TOP scouting system. We have neither and if Romanov had any sense he would invest more in that.

Excellent post. Sadly, Vlad is too eccentric, too absent and too pig-headed to ever change his outlandish ways.

Buffalo Bill

Charlie-Brown

The overall quality of hearts youth players is as high as it's ever been with loadsa good prospects, i think the academy staff do a good job.

jamboinglasgow
The overall quality of hearts youth players is as high as it's ever been with loadsa good prospects, i think the academy staff do a good job.

while i do agree with that I still think it can be improved better, we have the best youth academy in Scotland but bringing some higher quality coaches and scouts it could be made even better and as such made the noticable one in Europe. I think if you took the wages of Kingston if he was sold (heard about 15,000 a week) you would have a spare ?780,000 a year with which you could employ some top employees, even with half that much you can still get a few. I think a skills coach or technique coach would be good and allow Csaba to choose the coaches as I am sure he knows good ones.

Charlie-Brown

9 of the squad of 18 on saturday came from our youth system & of course there is always room for improvement. Arsenal have ?200M+ turnover & can afford the best of everything. Judge Hearts in an SPL context.

What about the save at the end from the 'keeper.

WORLD CLASS GOALKEEPNG!!

Buffalo Bill

One of the best saves I've seen!

It annoyed me how little praise the commentators have it!

We_are_the_Hearts
9 of the squad of 18 on saturday came from our youth system & of course there is always room for improvement. Arsenal have ?200M+ turnover & can afford the best of everything. Judge Hearts in an SPL context.

So do you believe we are getting the best out of the raw talent available and that enough of the youths are making a big impact at their own level and the reserves? From what I can see there is an average bunch with no real STARS who could be competent if pushed up but would struggle to hold their own. They lack real sharpness and game awareness. The ability to be comfy in posession and retain the ball continues to be an issue.

You are kidding yourself on if you think Hearts can do what Arsenal are doing.

The commentators remarked last night that every Premiership club are trying to use Arsenals benchmark and it's costing mega bucks.

Charlie-Brown

We might have had some better individuals in the past like gordon or naysmith but the overall group standard is better now with far fewer jersey fillers.

john brownlee
So do you believe we are getting the best out of the raw talent available and that enough of the youths are making a big impact at their own level and the reserves? From what I can see there is an average bunch with no real STARS who could be competent if pushed up but would struggle to hold their own. They lack real sharpness and game awareness. The ability to be comfy in posession and retain the ball continues to be an issue.

I do

Rome wasn't built in a day give the youth set up time its only been three years in the making under the new regime

We will never be able to compete with arsenal or the likes its hard enough competing with uglies who not forgetting used to steal our best prospects not so long ago, now kids that used to go west are now at Riccerton. Good signs ahead especially after last week when a good number of the players on show came through the ranks in anycase this will work as Mr Romanov sees this as a way of making money at Hearts

As he has already said , he has even given expected sell on times for some of the youth players

I believe that there have been players that started at Riccerton and have went on to greater things without even getting a sniff of football at Hearts level . There are a lot of teams in the UK taking note of the Hearts youth set up in the same way they are looking at Arsenal, obviously not on the same scale But we are being noticed

jamboinglasgow
You are kidding yourself on if you think Hearts can do what Arsenal are doing.

The commentators remarked last night that every Premiership club are trying to use Arsenals benchmark and it's costing mega bucks.

I think hearts can do what arsenal are doing, but obviously not in such a huge level as them.

You say that premiership clubs are using Arsenal as a benchmark but to be honest none come close to what Arsenal do. They say they will do that but there needs to be a full commitment in the club to do such a thing. To them it means have the odd youth player coming tinto the team and having a youth academy but that misjudges the Arsenal system. Its costing them mega bucks because they feel they have to bring in expensive players as well, but Arsenal can achieve it with wise scouting and patitence for a player to come good (look at Theo Wilcott, when he was first bought people thought Arsenal had payed too much for him at ?12 million but the way he is now playing it looks like a shrewd investment.

To me the Arsenal system is a mixture of a few exprenced players mixed in with young but talented players who have been found when they are a rough diamond and nurtured through an effective system to become the player that they should be. Its a system that requires patitence from players and fans, quality coaching and scouting, and a central figure who can take control of all and make it work.

To me Hearts can get that done, Csaba is the central figure, i think we have good youth coaches though more quality can be good and our scouting needs to be improved, but we also need to be patient, though I think it would be good to be like Arsenal and bleed some youngsters in the CIS cup when we are sure that sytem is working.

Charlie-Brown

In simpler terms hearts can try to improve on what they've done previously & try to improve on what other scottish clubs are doing.

Archived