Touring across Europe...

tommythejambo

tommythejambo

Me and a few mates have decided to chip in and tour across Europe in a camper Van (whch we plan to sell afterwards at some stage).

Was just wondering if anyone has done anything similar and if there are any real percievable dangers, aside from the obvious (like having it stolen when you are away on the lash, I mean more like whats the odds of being mugged at gunpoint? can anywhere in Europe get a bit South America-ey?), to this?

TTJ

You should be all right so long as you stick to fairly tourist friendly areas and show a bit of respect to the locals wherever you go. Just make sure that whatever everyone chips in is well documented cos as soon as somebody gets skint that's when the fighting will start! P.S. It might be a good idea if at least 2 of you have a rudimentary knowledge of mechanics if you are going to buy an old banger.

Doctor FinnBarr
Me and a few mates have decided to chip in and tour across Europe in a camper Van (whch we plan to sell afterwards at some stage).

Was just wondering if anyone has done anything similar and if there are any real percievable dangers, aside from the obvious (like having it stolen when you are away on the lash, I mean more like whats the odds of being mugged at gunpoint? can anywhere in Europe get a bit South America-ey?), to this?

TTJ

Me the Mrs and daughter do it every year with a bike and sidecar but mostly stay at biker only campsites or take in a few bike rallies. Undecided whether to go next year because of the state of the pound against the euro (very expensive this year).

Anyway, never been held up at gunpoint but it's mostly Western Europe we go to, although we have camped in the Czech Republic and found that dirt cheap. Avoid spending too much time in cities which like here can be very expensive.

Luxembourg is very cheap for drink and fags and if you do a search you will find a few, ahem, naturist campsites! Belgium is very good for strong beers as is Germany. If you do feel the need to hit cities then camp outside near a rail station which means you can travel in and out without paying for expensive hotels and you don't need to find a parking space. I'd recommend the Old Town in Cologne.

Ferries over are pricey tho, DFDS from Newcastle is the handiest but its cheaper the earlier you book it, and smuggle on a carry-out!

:)

You thought about inter-railing?

I did that years ago and it was immense. An inter-rail ticket each will be far cheaper than a 1/3 share of a clapped out camper van. The trains shouldn't be confused with our trains here in terms of reliability - some of them are slow, but they are clockwork. You can either camp as you go, stay in hostels or even cheap B & Bs are easy to come by in most of the major cities.

You can do alot of your train travelling overnight, which keeps the accomodation costs down and gives you more time to hang out in whatever places you end up.

And the best bonus - all 3 of you can go on the lash together regularly, no designated driver required!

I did this for 3 months in 2001, and it was immense!

My and my new other half are looking into doing it again for 6 weeks this summer, and it doesn't look like much has changed.

portobellojambo1

I did that years ago and it was immense. An inter-rail ticket each will be far cheaper than a 1/3 share of a clapped out camper van. The trains shouldn't be confused with our trains here in terms of reliability - some of them are slow, but they are clockwork. You can either camp as you go, stay in hostels or even cheap B & Bs are easy to come by in most of the major cities.

You can do alot of your train travelling overnight, which keeps the accomodation costs down and gives you more time to hang out in whatever places you end up.

And the best bonus - all 3 of you can go on the lash together regularly, no designated driver required!

My and my new other half are looking into doing it again for 6 weeks this summer, and it doesn't look like much has changed.

Joining AEGON in January, and hoping to tie up a 6 week holiday in the Summer (friendly advice - don't book anything holiday wise until you are into your job, you might struggle big, big time to get a holiday of that length in the peak Summer months).

tommythejambo

Thought for a while about inter-railing, and I've got a mate from Uni who is doing that. Just prefer the idea of a camper van though, and I think there is going to be more than 3 of us.

Also think we would end up taking a bit of luggage, and end up accquiring lots of random items wherever we went. So a camper van could prove more useful. Also fancy bringing back a massive largely tax free bevvy on our way home.

Cheers for the advice so far everyone and keep any info you have coming!

Joining AEGON in January, and hoping to tie up a 6 week holiday in the Summer (friendly advice - don't book anything holiday wise until you are into your job, you might struggle big, big time to get a holiday of that length in the peak Summer months).

Thanks PJ1.

I mentioned it at interview and it's something my gaffers in Lytham are going to help with. Basically my other half is about to finish the uni based part of her teacher-training so it's a bit of a one-off trip before she starts her new career proper.

Saying that, the credit crunch may well restrict us to a 6 day caravan holiday in Aberdour...

Archived