Help with finding info on war vets

K1874M

Hoping someone can help.

I'm helping someone try to find info out about a family member who fought in the great war.

He survived and we have pics of him and his regiment, we also have a birth cert.

What we're looking to find out is his regiment and rank etc... something that no one seems sure about. We know he fought near Ieper (Ypres).

This is all we have tho.

I've used various sites that list those who lost there lifes but yet to find one that lists those who survived.

Any help would be much appreciated.

K.

Try the National Archive - they have details of all medals awarded during WW1.This would include campaign medals. Getting information on men who served during WW1 from the Ministry of Defence is more difficult - most of the service records were lost during WW2 due to the building they were housed in being bombed. The National Archive would be a good first port of call.

Try the National Archive - they have details of all medals awarded during WW1.This would include campaign medals. Getting information on men who served during WW1 from the Ministry of Defence is more difficult - most of the service records were lost during WW2 due to the building they were housed in being bombed. The National Archive would be a good first port of call.

Thats great. Thanks alot mate, will report how we get on.

After having a quick scan it does say its harder to find specific people without knowing there regiment but it can be done.

Cheers Deevers.

K.

National Archive is a good shout. I recently got my maternal Grandfather's Naval service record detailing all the ships he served on and when.

The Central Library also had some books detailing the records of some of the Scottish Regiments, but mostly just mentioned officers.

http://landing.ancestry.co.uk/intl/uk/worldwar1.aspx?o_iid=37264&o_lid=37264

Free search during November

Will be spending some time on it this week.

Boris, how much info did you have on your Grandfather?

This is actually for my bird and her mum to find more info on her great grandfather and as I say we only have a birth cert and we know he fought in the great war in France and Belgium.

Will be spending some time on it this week.

Boris, how much info did you have on your Grandfather?

This is actually for my bird and her mum to find more info on her great grandfather and as I say we only have a birth cert and we know he fought in the great war in France and Belgium.

To be fair it was my Uncle who researched it all for my Mum. He's into all this geneology malarky.

But I think we had his DoB, Place of Birth, full name

The birth cert should be enough to get you started, I would have thought.

National Archive is a good shout. I recently got my maternal Grandfather's Naval service record detailing all the ships he served on and when.

The Central Library also had some books detailing the records of some of the Scottish Regiments, but mostly just mentioned officers.

http://landing.ancestry.co.uk/intl/uk/worldwar1.aspx?o_iid=37264&o_lid=37264

Free search during November

That links great. Cheers Boris.

Will get his D.O.B tomorrow and take it from there.

As soon as I saw this thread I thought PMing Boris might have been a good idea.

Good luck Kenny.

Cheers Cosa and cheers Leg for the PM.

Ah... the joys of the JKB community.

Archived