Joe Jordan played for Hearts...

gggggareth

Does anyone know if Joe Jordan ever turned out to play for Hearts? e.g. in a testimonial match... I can't remember...

Does anyone know if Joe Jordan ever turned out to play for Hearts? e.g. in a testimonial match... I can't remember...

Yes, he scored both goals in Gary Mackay's testimonial against Everton.

JJ was awesome in that game and lead the line well. His link up play brought the best out in Robbo. Makes you think that we could of won the league that year if we had a few more high standard players. The team certainly had a spinkling of class:

Henrietta

Levein

MacPherson

Ferguson

Robbo

JC

etc.

Yes, he scored both goals in Gary Mackay's testimonial against Everton.

I'm pretty sure he was a very late sub as well, and scored two late goals (both headers IIRC) past Neville Southall.

You could certainly tell that he had been a world class centre-forward, and knew the way to score a goal and wasn't afraid to get hurt doing it - unlike our current crop of strikers.

JJ scored in three world cups, and played in the Serie A... what would Scotland give to have a striker of that class these days??

I'm pretty sure he was a very late sub as well, and scored two late goals (both headers IIRC) past Neville Southall.

You could certainly tell that he had been a world class centre-forward, and knew the way to score a goal and wasn't afraid to get hurt doing it - unlike our current crop of strikers.

He did indeed. The 2nd was very brave bearing in mind it was a kickabout. If i remember correctly Neville Southall nearly took his head off!

Great player...S**t manager.

He was a bit of a miserable ******* though, wasn't he?

Can anyone remember him cracking a smile in the three years he was here?

Buffalo Bill

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
He did indeed. The 2nd was very brave bearing in mind it was a kickabout. If i remember correctly Neville Southall nearly took his head off!

Great player...S**t manager.

"**** manager".

Took us to 2nd in the league in his only full season. Two Scottish cup semi appearances. Only left after the team (including some genuine Hearts legends) let themselves down badly and threw a game to get him sacked. Yes, he was a miserable bugger, but he can surely be classed as one og Hearts better managers.

"**** manager".

Took us to 2nd in the league in his only full season. Two Scottish cup semi appearances. Only left after the team (including some genuine Hearts legends) let themselves down badly and threw a game to get him sacked. Yes, he was a miserable bugger, but he can surely be classed as one og Hearts better managers.

Yep, 91/92 - he had us playing very well from Aug - Jan.

Overall 90/91 was a bit flat, but it was his first season.

91/92 was fantastic until the bubble burst. Crowds dived in the final quarter.

92/93 was pretty grim in the end, despite the team having so many legends in it.

Possibly a very good manager, but in Italy or somewhere. I don't think Alex MacDonald's old team were ready for him, and I don't think he had the personality to work with Mercer and the senior players.

"...and the final score from Brockville is Falkirk 6 Hearts 0".

Buffalo Bill

JJ Decent manager some of the signings he bought in were half decent Baird,Millar,McCreary to name a few would love to see payers of that quality in a marroon shirt could certainly teach the current crop a thing or 2 like the way to goal

Had the pleasure of meeting JJ and his wife in Bordeaux in 1998, walking from the city centre to the stadium for Scotland v Norway in the world cup. We told Joe we were Hearts fans and had a bit of a blether with them. He said was he was delighted that we'd won the cup a few weeks earlier to which Mrs J added "it made it even better that the hibs were relegated".

Mrs Jordan - legend! :)

McCreary

Sorry to be a pain, but he was an Alex MacDonald signing, season 89/90.

Buffalo Bill

Swapping Scott Crabbe for Allan Preston was a horrific decision.

Totally agree i remember his last game well the wee man was gutted as was i when his kit just went over my head and the big git behind me got his top

Oopsie ma bad maybe i am thinking of ally 'sarge' mauchlen

Yep, he signed Ally Mauchlan and Peter van der Van before 92/93.

The last action moustache heroes.

It's a shame about Jordan. The right guy at the worng time?

Buffalo Bill

Crabbe had scored 17 goals the season before and set up many others.

He was also a Hearts' fanatic, and gave everything for the jersey.

Sixteen years later, I'm still puzzled by it.

Buffalo Bill

Drylaw Hearts

Buffalo Bill

It was truely bizarre.

Jim McLean probably stills laughs about it to this day.

Yep, he signed Ally Mauchlan and Peter van der Van before 92/93.

The last action moustache heroes.

It's a shame about Jordan. The right guy at the worng time?

Buffalo Bill

I seem to remember Mauchlen stamping on a certain darren jackson's chest in a derby game at tynie happy days

He also played for Hibs in Pat Stanton's testimonial match, and scored as well.

There is a good quiz question in there: Which Hearts manager played for Hearts and Hibs and scored for both teams?

DuffKirkMacKenzie
He also played for Hibs in Pat Stanton's testimonial match, and scored as well.

There is a good quiz question in there: Which Hearts manager played for Hearts and Hibs and scored for both teams?

JOE JORDAN :P

Buffalo Bill

I was assured by a former director that Mercer promised Jordan all the money (?200k?) if he was sold, & when Jordan went to use the cash for another transfer Mercer admitted that he never had any intention of handing the cash over. The bank had demanded it, and got it.

They fell out big time apparently, & the relationship never recovered.

I understand JJ and Crabbo had a big fall out? Aparently Crabbe was kicking a ball around in the players lounge and it all kicked off followed by a "you'll never play for this claub again as long as I in charge..." type statement.

I was assured by a former director that Mercer promised Jordan all the money (?200k?) if he was sold, & when Jordan went to use the cash for another transfer Mercer admitted that he never had any intention of handing the cash over. The bank had demanded it, and got it.

They fell out big time apparently, & the relationship never recovered.

That's my recollection, too. If I remember correctly JJ wanted the money to sign a Dutch player (with Willem II?) who'd been on trial and had scored a hat-trick in a closed doors match. WM told him he could only get him if he offloaded someone else. Apart from Robbo, Crabbe was the only forward who could be sold for a high enough figure.

Colonel Kurtz
"**** manager".

Agreed,players who were not getting a regular start showing their true colours

heartgarfunkel
Had the pleasure of meeting JJ and his wife in Bordeaux in 1998, walking from the city centre to the stadium for Scotland v Norway in the world cup. We told Joe we were Hearts fans and had a bit of a blether with them. He said was he was delighted that we'd won the cup a few weeks earlier to which Mrs J added "it made it even better that the hibs were relegated".

Mrs Jordan - legend! :)

Quality comments from a quality man and his lady. Did The Gland use that comment as an 'in' with Mrs J? *apols for in-joke other JKB'ers*:cheese:

JJ's Hearts team photos were always smart - no scruffs and several moustaches.;)

I agree that the Crabbe for Preston swap made no sense at all. I think Crabbe would have gone on to become a top class striker if he had stayed with the club.

All in all though, Jordan did a pretty good job at Hearts.

Yep, 91/92 - he had us playing very well from Aug - Jan.

Overall 90/91 was a bit flat, but it was his first season.

91/92 was fantastic until the bubble burst. Crowds dived in the final quarter.

92/93 was pretty grim in the end, despite the team having so many legends in it.

Possibly a very good manager, but in Italy or somewhere. I don't think Alex MacDonald's old team were ready for him, and I don't think he had the personality to work with Mercer and the senior players.

"...and the final score from Brockville is Falkirk 6 Hearts 0".

Buffalo Bill

you've just gave me a horrible memory from my youth. i wish games like that would disappear forever.

i'm sure this is the game that he tried to put davie machperson on with 5 minutes to go and was told in no uncertain terms to "f off"

DH, there are some horrific parts to that story that would make you cringe

I understand JJ and Crabbo had a big fall out? Aparently Crabbe was kicking a ball around in the players lounge and it all kicked off followed by a "you'll never play for this claub again as long as I in charge..." type statement.

ABSOLUTE B.S.

you've just gave me a horrible memory from my youth. i wish games like that would disappear forever.

i'm sure this is the game that he tried to put davie machperson on with 5 minutes to go and was told in no uncertain terms to "f off"

You'll find that was Graeme Hogg;)

Archived