Pubs in the toon

neave

First date tonight, after a quiet-ish pub in town where you can have a decent chat without music blaring everything out.

I'm thinking the Tron but open to suggestions. Cheers.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Standing Order?

Trons a decent shout though.

Wash Bar is alright as well.

If location isn't an issue (ie it doesn't need to be reasonably close to her flat or your's for ease of post pint pumping) then the New Town's a good bet. Bit classier, and if you pick somewhere off George St., generally with a bit more charm as well.

Star Bar (trendyish, with added fussball!), The Basement (used to be trendy, does food) or The Northumberland (good neuks) spring to mind.

Or the Phoenix if you swing that way.

Cheers folks, apparently she fancies somewhere in Fountainbridge now.

She lives in Dalry btw, so I'm hoping there's some relationship between picking somewhere closer to her flat and what Dave eloquently refers to as 'post pint pumping'.

You're not telling me that's a gay bar?

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not?!

I've only been in the once that I remember (damn roofies) but the patrons were screaming, even if the decor was not.

Granted that was a few years back, but given its location... (I know, that applies to The Basement as well).

First date tonight, after a quiet-ish pub in town where you can have a decent chat without music blaring everything out.

Nah the Trons for gimpy students. She might think your a snap fax using scrubber!!

How about Cargo on Dundee/Fountain street. Nice inside quite classy and chilled?

Carl Weathers
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not?!

I've only been in the once that I remember (damn roofies) but the patrons were screaming, even if the decor was not.

Granted that was a few years back, but given its location... (I know, that applies to The Basement as well).

I wasn't! I've watched a couple of football games in there.

Seemed alright. Now you mention it, everyone was surprisingly friendly...

Ha, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about... and I bet the boy hugging you when Scotland scored had just secreted an extra bottle of Corona in his trooser pocket as the bar was busy. :P

MackaysCentreSpot

20 year old and this is your first date. :rolleyes:

Carl Weathers
Ha, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about... and I bet the boy hugging you when Scotland scored had just secreted an extra bottle of Corona in his trooser pocket as the bar was busy. :P

:P

20 year old and this is your first date. :rolleyes:

You know the sad thing? You probably looked at my profile to see how old I was so you could make that joke accurate.

Take her to Cargo, mate.

Or Middletons Bar on Easter Road.

I've never heard of that place, mate. Any good?

And to the folk suggesting Cargo: pfffft. It's about ?4 a pint.

You know the sad thing? You probably looked at my profile to see how old I was so you could make that joke accurate.

I've never heard of that place, mate. Any good?

And to the folk suggesting Cargo: pfffft. It's about ?4 a pint.

?4 a pint?? Get yer finger oot son! U wanting a ride the night or not??

edit : Used to work at 3 sisters which is owned by the same company and pretty sure they do a discount for cheep student types like yourself ;) if you produce student id. If my memory serves me correct its only ?1.75 a pint of Carlsberg. Saying that it was 3-4 years ago.

Take her to the Polwarth Tavern.

Perfect.

Another great wee boozer. Mate had a flat right across the street a few years back. Good food aswell if you get the munchies after a few pints :)

Generic Username

Telling you Neave, The Polwarth Tavern is the place to take this dame.

It's a tiny boozer but it's not like your run of the mill pub, despite it's size it's got more of a "bar" feel to it.

Stacks of seating, plenty of bevvy to choose from and if you want a perfectly legitamite deek at her boobs, there's a pool table too.

Telling you Neave, The Polwarth Tavern is the place to take this dame.

It's a tiny boozer but it's not like your run of the mill pub, despite it's size it's got more of a "bar" feel to it.

Stacks of seating, plenty of bevvy to choose from and if you want a perfectly legitamite deek at her boobs, there's a pool table too.

Where's that from Fountainpark mate?

Pool's a bad idea. I'm a total bairn when it comes to losing at it.

Generic Username
Where's that from Fountainpark mate?

Pool's a bad idea. I'm a total bairn when it comes to losing at it.

Right, say you are on the other side of the road from the Cinema at Fountain Park.

Start walking along that road (Dundee Street or Road it's called) as if you were heading towards Gorgie (the opposite way from Cargo). Then keep your eyes peeled for a turning on the left for Yeamen Place, head up there, you'll go past a pub called The Golden Rule, The Polwarth Tavern is the next block up. You walk over a wee bridge.

Easy peasy lemon squeezey to get to my friend.

Right, say you are on the other side of the road from the Cinema at Fountain Park.

Start walking along that road (Dundee Street or Road it's called) as if you were heading towards Gorgie (the opposite way from Cargo). Then keep your eyes peeled for a turning on the left for Yeamen Place, head up there, you'll go past a pub called The Golden Rule, The Polwarth Tavern is the next block up. You walk over a wee bridge.

Easy peasy lemon squeezey to get to my friend.

Cheers man, I'll see if she has anything in mind and then if not, go there.

If I'm not on at, say, midnight, then my absence speaks for itself :D

tron!? gid pub for a bev with mates but on a first date. just don't mate, has cheap student written all over it plus it is a bit dank.

What about Bierex, really nice does food aswell. Often do deals on cocktails too ;)

OK 11.30pm now.

Has he blown it with a bad choice of venue or is he getting any action?

depends how skanky his date was... maybe she'd like the tron :P

OK 11.30pm now.

Has he blown it with a bad choice of venue or is he getting any action?

He's probably getting bummed in The Phoenix as I type.

Neave I'm sure it's not long since you last posted asking for ideas for a first date, you stud, you!

I know, every time I speak to the boy he's got a new wee tart on the go.

Hope you're wrapping up son, otherwise your STD list will be as long Kerry Katona's Odd Bins receipt.

Polwarth was where my first date was with the current berd... I'm still with her a few years later.

Dont go there, will only lead to bother!

I am shocked and horrified that naebody told the lad to go to the Diggers!!! Bloody hell, the best pub in the world bar none. Game of darts and doms would charm any lady. Her knickers would be doon quicker than Ronaldo in a tackle!

Any first date should always always be the Diggers!!!!

try the Melville in william street[/quote

that place is shut for a big make-over - due to re-open in the coming weeks. my mother and her 8 sisters are there everyweek - i appologise if they have ever offended anyone!

Is that a closet your coming out of? :eek:

Come on Neave ffs, the suspense is killing us mate, you cant still be banging her like a barn door in the wind ;)

What a lovely way with words you have John, very delicate :P

Come on Neave ffs, the suspense is killing us mate, you cant still be banging her like a barn door in the wind ;)

Not had a chance to get back on since (Uni work, no net access etc).

Took her to the Polwarth (cheers, audioslave; quality suggestion) then went into town. Went well; didn't get in 'til half 3 and very nearly got my hole. Was a last minute 'too early' job.

Seeing her again on Friday and, instead of starting a new thread, thought I'd just resurrect this one:

Anyone know a fairly cheap Italian restaurant? My budget's about ?40. I would search myself but my privileges have been taken away 'cause I haven't renewed my subscription yet.

Cheers in advance. Again.

There's loads of Italian restaurants in Edinburgh, all of which should be fine on a ?40 budget for two. La Rusticana on Thistle St (?) is quite nice.

Took her to the Polwarth (cheers, audioslave; quality suggestion) then went into town. Went well; didn't get in 'til half 3 and very nearly got my hole. Was a last minute 'too early' job.

Seeing her again on Friday and, instead of starting a new thread, thought I'd just resurrect this one:

Anyone know a fairly cheap Italian restaurant? My budget's about ?40. I would search myself but my privileges have been taken away 'cause I haven't renewed my subscription yet.

There's one just down from the polwarth, down the road then sharp left next to the indian. Its not bad and cheap.

Gusto, previously Est Est Est on the west end of George Street. If the ?40 is for both of you then you may only be able to get drinks and a starter.:rolleyes:

There's one just down from the polwarth, down the road then sharp left next to the indian. Its not bad and cheap.

Was going to suggest there's a good wee one near there - that actually might be it.

Was there one night in 2004 and saw a couple of Livi's cup-winning heroes outside :D

Archived