20 years ago tomorrow

BMC 11

I was in Dublin and Munich that campaign, never made it to Vienna but can remember watching the highlights and Eammon Bannon being about 3 mile offside.

How many goals did Galloway score that season in europe?

Seen an article about him a few weeks back, what a headcase. :sad:

winston churchill
I was in Dublin and Munich that campaign, never made it to Vienna but can remember watching the highlights and Eammon Bannon being about 3 mile offside.

How many goals did Galloway score that season in europe?

Seen an article about him a few weeks back, what a headcase. :sad:

i thought it was watty the kidd & galloway.

i thought it was watty the kidd & galloway.

Aye it could have been mate, I was 9.

9 years old and witnessing fighting in Dublin like i've never seen since.

9 years old and witnessing drunkeness on a ferry on the way home from Munich like i've never seen since.

Thanks Dad.

:)

winston churchill
It could have been mate, I was 9.

ball was played up the right.

they both ran for it.

galloway peeled off and made a run for the front post.

one flick with the head,and it was good night vienna.

did you see what i did there:)

aye, it was baltic........... worse, when our bus window got tanned in outside the ground. plenty ventilation on the way home.

My dad said that night 'we are back son, we are back'.

It was simply the beginning of my Hearts love affair.

I was there, incredible night, not many guys made the trip due to the first leg score but there was still around 1500 at the game. The bar staff at the hotel we were staying in had left for the evening so when we arrived back we had a few free soirees in the unarmed bar, with myself donning the apron and assuming full barman duties.

It was Zico that supplied the cross for Oh Mikey that night. A fantastic European trip with abour 6 hours sleep in 4 days. Memories. It was absolutely freezing right enough.

The Studs Mate
I was there, incredible night, not many guys made the trip due to the first leg score but there was still around 1500 at the game. The bar staff at the hotel we were staying in had left for the evening so when we arrived back we had a few free soirees in the unarmed bar, with myself donning the apron and assuming full barman duties.

Was that before or after you were in the knocking shop.

Amazing trip. I remember the scoreboard said it was -4 during the game.

We sent Gerry McNee a postcard the following day which read "Austria Vienna 0 Hearts 1. Wrong again Gerry" as he'd given us no chance. To be fair he read it out on Scotland Today a few days later.

Didn't get back until the Saturday morning which happened to be my 20th birthday...although that day's result is best forgotten.

I watched it on teletext (nae sky sports then) in the caley bar in leith all the hobos telling me we would get humped oh they copped dogs abuse that night.

wheatfield to sheffield

I hadn't dared find out the score, so I watched it on sportscene highlights that night. And went mental around the kitchen of my student flat.

And if I remember correctly, the programme had got off to an even better start by announcing that John Robertson had resigned!

Top Sport, or maybe the club shop produced a t-shirt on the back of this incredible performance.

It simply read - "Goodnight Vienna".

Buffalo Bill

wheatfield to sheffield
John Robertson had resigned!

that's re-signed, when he came back from Newcastle, not resigned like he did when Uncle Vladimir took away his toys

I remember Robbo saying that his injury at Newcastle caused one of his legs to grow a inch longer than the other!

Buffalo Bill

Robbos Right Peg
that's re-signed, when he came back from Newcastle, not resigned like he did when Uncle Vladimir took away his toys

Wrong Europe trip lads

That was after the Mostar game.

Was at both and it was straight back to the airport after the Vienna game but Uncle Wallet announced the King had returned when we were in a hotel outside Mostar after the game on the way back to Split airport.

Both games had a wee bit of afters with the home support mind.

Doctor FinnBarr
Wrong Europe trip lads

That was after the Mostar game.

Was at both and it was straight back to the airport after the Vienna game but Uncle Wallet announced the King had returned when we were in a hotel outside Mostar after the game on the way back to Split airport.

Both games had a wee bit of afters with the home support mind.

In Vienna it was rummoured to be Dutch casuals if I remember correctly!

I went with Glasgow Hearts to the game where we stayed in the Sean Brown Hotel (possibly the poshest hotel I've ever bunked in). Weather was great when we left to go to the game wearing only shirts (as well as jeans etc) only for the temp to plunge the minute the sun dropped! It was only the beer and celebrating the result that kept us alive I think.

Just had a thought, thats the only away goal I,ve seen us score away in Europe out of about 10 games!

:eek:

Doctor FinnBarr
Mmmmmm HMFC21 care to tell the story of the mini-bar on that trip:eek:

Or the gorgie pull:eek:

If he doesn't, will you?

portobellojambo1
9th nov 1988

Austria Vienna 0 - 1 Hearts

Personally , my favourite european away match

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/video/1988110901.html

It was a good trip, wouldn't rank it as my favourite but it was certainly the coldest (understatement, it was fecking freezing). Not sure there were as many as 1,500 there, but however many it was only about half actually saw the goal, as the rest were huddled together around a heater in the bogs trying to keep warm.

Doctor FinnBarr
It was a good trip, wouldn't rank it as my favourite but it was certainly the coldest (understatement, it was fecking freezing). Not sure there were as many as 1,500 there, but however many it was only about half actually saw the goal, as the rest were huddled together around a heater in the bogs trying to keep warm.

I seem to remember finding a bar at HT that was quite warm and there was someone sleeping on a table!

:eek:

Was a great trip and great result. Travelled with the team on paramount airways if i remember correctly. We also found a great bar not far from the hotel. And as everyone else has said it was the coldest i have ever been at the football. Only downside was that i ended up buying a purple austria vienna top in a drunken stupor and a hat with a bloody feather on it .

Doctor FinnBarr
Was a great trip and great result. Travelled with the team on paramount airways if i remember correctly. We also found a great bar not far from the hotel. And as everyone else has said it was the coldest i have ever been at the football. Only downside was that i ended up buying a purple austria vienna top in a drunken stupor and a hat with a bloody feather on it .

Do you still have the hat and slap your thighs on a regular basis?

Do you still have the hat and slap your thighs on a regular basis?

Thankfully not ,my dog chewed the hat and the only thighs i slap now are the wifes :rolleyes:

Eamon Bannon WAS magic! "We all agreed". He once Moonlighted with I think Panionios or the Greek Cypriot side, when he was supposed to be injured! I saw a Greek league match and he was playing in, match shown in Australia where I was at the time. Never found out more as he moved to Arabs soon after. Does ANYONE know about that???? I would love to know why, how etc even after 20 yearsish. Most astonishing thing I've seen. I wonder how much of that went on before global coverage on TV?

Archived