Jimmy Brown RIP

Susie-Jambo-66

Hearts Heritage

Reckoned by many old timers I've spoken to have been the best Hearts keeper they have seen.

RIP

lost in leith

Sad news. Obviously before my time, but my Dad will have seen him play many a time.

Good to see the official website producing a meaningful tribute so soon.

Did we not have a defender in the 70s called Jimmy Brown aswell ?

More usually called Jim.

RIP Jimmy Brown.

DuffKirkMacKenzie

I am deeply saddened by the news of Jimmy Brown's passing away. He was Hearts goalkeeper when I started sopporting Hearts in 1947. Jimmy was a great goalkeeper, a real colourful character and certainly one of my all time favourite Hearts players.

RIP Jimmy Brown

My hero, never changed my opinion, thought he was the greatest, its funny I was thinking about him the other day and wondered if he was still around. I have no idea why he left Hearts, but then they were the same then as they are now. I am not usually deeply distressed over deaths of former players, but have known of Jimmy Brown since about 1944.

In these old days the Sunday Mail had a sports reporter called Rex, he had a club through the newspapers for boys'. Every week a player was highlighted and a picture of Jimmy was available. I got it and it was posed in a studio and it was of Jimmy with the ball held above his head. That was another of his moves, a shot would come in just over head high and he would just put his hands up and grab it. The next save would be a gentle lob and he would make a spectacular flying save. He was a great entertainer in that respect.

I am greatly saddened, feel like I lost a relative. R.I.P. Jimmy you gave a wee boy great pleasure and other than his dad his first hero.

Say What Again

RIP Jimmy

Well before my time but thanks to the efforts of londonhearts (as always) and Scott H, you're remembered.

p382.jpg

I'll try and find a better one.

Are we sure that picture is Jimmy Brown, the legs don't look big enough, but then the last thing I would do is question London Hearts.

Toxteth O'Grady
My hero, never changed my opinion, thought he was the greatest, its funny I was thinking about him the other day and wondered if he was still around. I have no idea why he left Hearts, but then they were the same then as they are now. I am not usually deeply distressed over deaths of former players, but have known of Jimmy Brown since about 1944.

In these old days the Sunday Mail had a sports reporter called Rex, he had a club through the newspapers for boys'. Every week a player was highlighted and a picture of Jimmy was available. I got it and it was posed in a studio and it was of Jimmy with the ball held above his head. That was another of his moves, a shot would come in just over head high and he would just put his hands up and grab it. The next save would be a gentle lob and he would make a spectacular flying save. He was a great entertainer in that respect.

I am greatly saddened, feel like I lost a relative. R.I.P. Jimmy you gave a wee boy great pleasure and other than his dad his first hero.

Sounds like he was real a character Bob, RIP Jimmy

Not 100% sure that's Jimmy, Davy.

Looks like the League Cup final v. Motherwell and it's Jimmy's replacement, the old man.

Legs do look like the old man's. Might be wrong though.

More importantly, from the stories I have been told and Bob Sharp's recollections, Mr. Brown was certainly one of the best keepers ever to wear a Hearts jersey.

Condolences to his family & RIP

The Duff family

Jimmy was a hero to many, Dave MacKay names Jimmy as one of his first Hearts heroes.

He also played in what i believe to be a record attendance of 98000 in a cup tie V motherwell,the record was the highest attendance for a non old firm game.

His funeral is on Thursday at Kirkcaldy but not sure if it is private or not, his son is currently travelling from Mexico.

RIP Jimmy.

My brother in law claims that in the days of shoulder charging, a Celtic player came at Jimmy. He simply threw the ball in his own net and before the ball crossed the line he was hit - and got the free kick! :)

A character indeed! RIP Jimmy Brown.

Not 100% sure that's Jimmy, Davy.

Looks like the League Cup final v. Motherwell and it's Jimmy's replacement, the old man.

Legs do look like the old man's. Might be wrong though.

More importantly, from the stories I have been told and Bob Sharp's recollections, Mr. Brown was certainly one of the best keepers ever to wear a Hearts jersey.

Condolences to his family & RIP

The Duff family

Thats what I thought Bill. The legs don,t seem right, Jimmy had the biggest legs I ever saw on a football player, he also as long as I remember always seemed to wear black pants while the rest of the team wore white.

Jimmy was a great goalie for Hearts and so was your Dad. Jimmy was my hero and your Dad being the same age as me although not in the same context filled the void admirably. The great thing about your Dad was his style was to me almost a carbon copy of Jimmy Brown's. Probably picked up from watching the Wednesday afternoon games we watched after playing hooky from Boroughmuir to go to the game.

cousinsofnoone

Played in the first game I ever saw, Airdrie v Kilmarnock. He was captain and Lawrie Leslie captained Airdrie from goal as well.

I questioned that picture as well. My recollection was that Jimmy always wore black shorts and his thighs were huge. He had a ritual when he came on by throwing his bunnet into the back of the net ,touching his right post and jumping up to touch the crossbar and then over to do the same at the left side. An outstanding goalkeeper who deserved more national recognition.

I think he had a contractual disagreement and was moved onto Kilmarnock. We had a solid replacement in Willie Duff who I think is the goalie in the picture. Jimmy was also very popular in Kilmarnock The last time I saw him was in his pub in Kilmarnock.

bp

Thanks to all on this forum for your kind words & condolences to the family.

The funeral is as already stated on Thursday 13th Nov @ 2.15pm at Kirkcaldy Crematorium and is not private.

Jimmy was in goal for Killie when I saw my first match at Tynie back in the '59/'60 season. He was well liked by the Heart's faithful.

loveofthegame
Jimmy was a hero to many, Dave MacKay names Jimmy as one of his first Hearts heroes.

He also played in what i believe to be a record attendance of 98000 in a cup tie V motherwell,the record was the highest attendance for a non old firm game.

His funeral is on Thursday at Kirkcaldy but not sure if it is private or not, his son is currently travelling from Mexico.

RIP Jimmy.

If you're even close to the mark that is incredible.

RIP Jimmy

Archived