Hobos invite into Europe

Professor.Arturo

Professor.Arturo

The **** go on about being the first British team to play in Europe. Now they were invited after a few teams turned the offer down, in England I believe it was Chelsea and Wolves that said no.

I am sure I remember (reading somewhere) in Scotland, Celtic and/or Rangers, and Aberdeen were invited first but turned it down, then the hobos were asked.

Is this right? if it is does anyone have a link to a news report to prove it?

In the middle of an argument with a hobo because I'm certain they were not the first Scottish team invited, any help appreciated. :)

I'm pretty sure we even finished above them the season they were asked.

Who knows, maybe we even turned them down. :wink:

Nucky Thompson

I think they got invited because they had floodlights, or because they were the first to wear the green, or because they were the first to play on a hill, or maybe because they taught Brazil how to play football:107years:

As far as im aware, Aberdeen should have been the Scottish team that year but KB'd it, so the junkies took up the offer.

My mate who's a Don comes out with this to rile Hobos when need be and he knows his sheep history, so i assume it's the deal.

Prob easy enough to find oot, but im gettin pisht so i canny be ersed!

I don't have the answer to the question but;

There was only 7 Champions who entered that year out of the 16 teams - RSC Anderlecht, AGF ?rhus, Djurg?rdens IF FF, Milan AC, Real Madrid CF, Stade de Reims Champagne and SC Rot-Weiss Essen.

Gabriel Hanot, an editor of a French sports paper came up with the competition in December 1954, and the first European Cup took place in 1955. At the time, Wolves claimed to be the world's best side, they turned down the offer to take part in the new tournament.

This suggests it was a invitational competition and at the time wasn't very prestigious.

Hibs got to the Semi finals which they lost (a sign of things to come for them:)) where the lost to Stade de Reims, who lost the final 4-3 in Paris to Real Madrid.

King of the North

Hibs finished fifth, behind Aberdeen, the OF and us.

Europe was seen as an irrelevance in Britain at the time, which is why no other clubs were interested, and why no English teams entered the tournament.

Fair play to them though, its certainly not an irrelevance now, and if we were the first team in Europe we'd probably bang on about it.

But it's typical hobo mythologising to make out that it was some sort of 'special' invitation because of their legendary brazilian flair, which is what some of them would have you believe

Hearts Heritage

European places in the early days were often not on merit but at the whim of UEFA or the own countries associations.

Probably the most famous instance of the one club one city rule was in England in 1968-69. Champions Man City and runners-up but European Champions Man Utd went into the European Cup. Leeds (4th) claimed one of the four Fairs Cup places on offer as League Cup winners. Liverpool (3rd) took a place but this ruled out 5th-placed Everton so in came Chelsea (6th) to take the third spot. Spurs (7th) were thus ineligible. West Brom had finished 8th but they had won the FA Cup so entered the Cup-Winners Cup. Arsenal were 9th and ineligible so 10th-placed Newcastle entered Europe for the first time despite having lost more league games than they had won.

They went on to win the Fairs Cup the next season (and sod all ever since).

See the full answer regards the Fairs Cup

Hibs got in because a member of their board was prominent on the SFA at the time and put them forward.

Aberdeen should have been in as they were champs but declined as euro competition hadn`t reached it`s appeal yet.

The **** go on about being the first British team to play in Europe. Now they were invited after a few teams turned the offer down, in England I believe it was Chelsea and Wolves that said no.

I am sure I remember (reading somewhere) in Scotland, Celtic and/or Rangers, and Aberdeen were invited first but turned it down, then the hobos were asked.

Is this right? if it is does anyone have a link to a news report to prove it?

In the middle of an argument with a hobo because I'm certain they were not the first Scottish team invited, any help appreciated. :)

I also believe that they played the quarter final "away" tie in Scotland.

Firhill rings a bell.

Jeez,...........no wonder they had,.....sorry,..........got, a Semi.

I think they got invited because they had floodlights, or because they were the first to wear the green, or because they were the first to play on a hill, or maybe because they taught Brazil how to play football:107years:

Don't forget the electric scoreboard.

Never forget the scoreboard.

Buffalo Bill

Jam Tarts 1874

The Fairs Cup performances that the hobos go on about also came as a result of being invited to play in that tournament.

Hearts have qualified to play in Europe more times than hibs - FACT.

winston churchill
Don't forget the electric scoreboard.

Never forget the scoreboard.

Buffalo Bill

the kenny waugh score board.

the bookie was a true legend.

Archived