Celtic and Man U and any other for that matter!

Debut 4

How much does it make you cringe that Celtic always seem to attach themselves to a far bigger and glamourous club and make out to have some sort of affinity with them?

During the week Billy McNeil done his best ever Celtic, Utd select in the paper, who the feck do they think they are????

They always go on about loose Irish links and all that bull but all i can say is that Man U fans i`ve met, and real ones by the way from Manchester, couldn`t give a feck about the Jungle Jims and in fact one stated he couldn`t stand them.

Yet, they go on like everyone loves "Cellic".

Same with Liverpool. Celtique stole "you`ll never walk alone" (whats knew, they copy songs all the time) and they think there is some "Irish bond" with them.

Well, if they knew their facts they`d probably not touch Liverpool with a barge pole as they were started by an Orangeman.

They just seem to make great efforts to filter in amongst other supports and use a political or religious excuse to do so.

The self proclaimed best fans in the world are in fact the **** of the earth,ten times worste than rangers fans,and a thousand times worste than hibs fans...hate them with a passion.

I know plenty of Man U fans - reals fans who are ST holders - and they can't stand Celtic. Any talk of any kind of bond between the clubs is a complete myth.

But that didn't stop the recent publication of a book which played up this myth. It was reviewed and slaughtered bythe fanzine WSC. Apparently part of this 'bond' :rolleyes: stems from the fact that Celtic fans empathise with Man U fans over the Munich air crash : because they lost their goalkeeper John Thompson in a tragic accident during a game (older fans will know what I'm talking about here). Unbelievable.

Nucky Thompson
Apparently part of this 'bond' :rolleyes: stems from the fact that Celtic fans empathise with Man U fans over the Munich air crash : because they lost their goalkeeper John Thompson in a tragic accident during a game (older fans will know what I'm talking about here). Unbelievable.
It's not like them to latch onto another teams grief and look for some kind of connection/bond:rolleyes: I know a few United fans who think they are a wee backwater team with the same smelly fans like Scousers.

It's not like them to latch onto another teams grief and look for some kind of connection/bond:rolleyes: I know a few United fans who think they are a wee backwater team with the same smelly fans like Scousers.

After their last meeting two years ago they were indeed called 'Scottish Scousers' by Utd fans. So fitting.

During the week Billy McNeil done his best ever Celtic, Utd select in the paper, who the feck do they think they are????

More importantly which Celtic players would ever get in the team?

Maybe Larsson on the bench but technically he played for Utd anyway, and Utd have had many great strikers better than Larsson.

McNeils an erse anyway. I assume by 'paper' you mean Daily ******? Not fit for erse paper.

How much does it make you cringe that Celtic always seem to attach themselves to a far bigger and glamourous club and make out to have some sort of affinity with them?

They always go on about loose Irish links and all that bull but all i can say is that Man U fans i`ve met, and real ones by the way from Manchester, couldn`t give a feck about the Jungle Jims and in fact one stated he couldn`t stand them.

Yet, they go on like everyone loves "Cellic".

Same with Liverpool. Celtique stole "you`ll never walk alone" (whats knew, they copy songs all the time) and they think there is some "Irish bond" with them.

Well, if they knew their facts they`d probably not touch Liverpool with a barge pole as they were started by an Orangeman.

They just seem to make great efforts to filter in amongst other supports and use a political or religious excuse to do so.

To be fair, Celtic were singing YNWA first. But it really does smack of a small time mentality if they're latching on to anything bigger than them to make them feel important.

King of the North
To be fair, Celtic were singing YNWA first. But it really does smack of a small time mentality if they're latching on to anything bigger than them to make them feel important.

Not sure about that...?

Nucky Thompson
To be fair, Celtic were singing YNWA first.
A Gerry and the pacemakers song who happened to come from Liverpool. Celtic weren't the first to sing it just like they weren't the first to sing words to Hey Jude.

Guest S.U.S.S.

No they were not.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2003/mar/12/theknowledge.sport

Living in an area with a large contingent of Liverpool fans, writes Damian, who lives in Chester should you be wondering, I'm constantly being drawn into debates about who sang You'll Never Walk Alone first. I've failed to come up with evidence to support my belief that it was the Celtic faithful. I'd appreciate any information which serves to conclude this dispute once and for all.

While many Celtic fan-based websites provide the words to You'll Never Walk Alone, and it features on the CD Green & White Anthems, there is no historical evidence that Celtic fans sang it on their terraces first. Instead, a cursory glance back in time shows that Liverpool have the much stronger claims.

After all, the song, originally written by Rodgers and Hammerstein in 1945 for the Broadway musical Carousel, only became a terrace favourite after it was covered by Gerry and the Pacemakers in November 1963. Almost immediately - as footage from Panorama in 1964 shows - Liverpool supporters adopted it.

As Paul Fields points out: "Before the early 60s football fans made noise and occasionally chanted something brief (like Play Up Pompey!) but it was the Kop that started singing popular songs of the day (mainly Merseybeat songs such as Gerry and the Pacemakers' You'll Never Walk Alone) and later started to adapt the lyrics of songs to celebrate the team and its players.

"If any Celtic fans still claim that they sang it first, it would have to predate Gerry's version. Now can you really see thousands of working class Glaswegians in the 50s/early 60s spontaneously joining in a sing-along from a Rodgers and Hammerstein musical?" No, us neither.

Anyone who claims otherwise is just a deluded jungle jim.

A Gerry and the pacemakers song who happened to come from Liverpool. Celtic weren't the first to sing it just like they weren't the first to sing words to Hey Jude.

Always bugged me that and i`ve argued it many times with them at work. When i started going to games regularly from the early eighties i never heard Celtique singing it until one game on tele in the early/mid 90`s.

And last Sunday i noticed they`ve copied Man U with a Ronaldo song which they sing about that wee scr ote McGeady..

how many irish men won celtics biggest honour

Somebody should tell their DJ if they do have a special bond with Manu - He played You'll Never Walk Alone before the game and at half-time last Wednesday. Now that's none too welcoming to the Mancs...Also they don't sing it with the same passion as the Scousers. Hearing it at Anfield sends shivers up the spine. At CP it is just a dirge.

Archived