Lest we Forget, the fans as well.

carnockjambo

Sgt John Spenser Jolly belonged to the 16th Royal Scots, another ‘Pals Battalion’ which is better known as “McCrae’s Own”. In civilian life, John Jolly was Assistant Keeper with the SED, a First Division post that commanded the relatively high salary of ?300 per annum. His battalion was raised and commanded by Lt Col Sir George McCrae, head of the Scottish Local Government Board (which was eventually incorporated into the Scottish Office). The battalion comprised 1347 officers and men who in civilian life were students, lawyers, doctors, labourers, artists and clerks. The battalion also included 11 professional footballers from Heart of Midlothian, something that may have inspired John and others to sign up when the battalion was formed in 1914. Having formed in Edinburgh, John undertook his initial training in Yorkshire and on Salisbury Plain before landing in France in January 1916. He spent his first few months in France in a relatively quiet area around Armentieres before moving south in May as part of the preparations for a major offensive that summer.

This is an extract from a larger article researched and written by a Civil Servant who was investigating the Civil Servants who gave up their lives for their country in WWI.

It seems that HMFC fans and Edinburgh folk alike where inspired by those brave men in " McCrae's Own".

Lest We Forget.

The article is by Neil MacLennan (Criminal Procedure Division) of the Scottish Goverment.

What's the article called carnock jambo, and do you know who published it?

Its published on the internal Scottish Government internet site. If you would like to see the entire article I can copy it and pm it to you.

The Full article regarding John Jolly.

Sgt John Spenser Jolly belonged to the 16th Royal Scots, another ?Pals Battalion? which is better known as ?McCrae?s Own?. In civilian life, John Jolly was Assistant Keeper with the SED, a First Division post that commanded the relatively high salary of ?300 per annum. His battalion was raised and commanded by Lt Col Sir George McCrae, head of the Scottish Local Government Board (which was eventually incorporated into the Scottish Office). The battalion comprised 1347 officers and men who in civilian life were students, lawyers, doctors, labourers, artists and clerks. The battalion also included 11 professional footballers from Heart of Midlothian, something that may have inspired John and others to sign up when the battalion was formed in 1914. Having formed in Edinburgh, John undertook his initial training in Yorkshire and on Salisbury Plain before landing in France in January 1916. He spent his first few months in France in a relatively quiet area around Armentieres before moving south in May as part of the preparations for a major offensive that summer. John Jolly was killed on 1 July 1916, the infamous First Day of the Somme. According to a contemporary report, many in the 16th Battalion were ?scythed like corn? in front of the German machine guns. With 20,000 dead, the day ranks as the

bloodiest in the history of the British army. The 15th and 16th Royal Scots (as part of 101 Brigade) were in action from 0730 in the area of La Boiselle. They suffered 80% and 50% casualties respectively. John Jolly?s body was never found and his remains will either be in an unmarked grave or lie somewhere in the vicinity of Contalmaison where 228 of his comrades were killed that day. His name is inscribed on the Memorial to the Missing at Thiepval.

Lest we Forget

I'll bet that many Hearts supporters have family histories relating to relatives who served in WW1. Edinburgh Fife and the Lothians raised many battalions during that war and many of the people serving in them would have been Hearts supporters.

My Avatar shows the season ticket book for season 1914/15 left behind by an great uncle who went off to War with the 9th Royal Scots ( the Dandy Ninth) - it is intact except for the first ticket which was used. He won the Military Medal at the battle of Cambrai. Sadly he died of Spanish Flu in October 1918 in France and never saw Tynecastle again. A fate that must have befallen many.

Slightly off topic, but im sooooo flackin angry at those plastic paddies on reading this!!!!!!!!!

I'm very left wing, very anti-establishment, anti-imperialism, but almost everyone in this country (SCOTLAND) was effected or had family effected by the 2 world wars and to protest the commemoration of this is frankly disgusting.

Ok, our army have been involved in conficts since which I myself dont agree with, fiercely so, but it aint the soldiers fault and less so their family's! If i live in Iraq and they want to commemorate their dead and injured in the two world wars, then they have a right to do so on a national level, using their national sport if they so choose

Sorry if i've hijacked this thread when there's others to vent this on.

Great article mate. Always proud!!!!

great read was discussing this in pub with a few them from dark side and every one of them have poppies and hate the thought of other fans ruining this day on witch we should all be thankfully for the freedoms we have

LAST WE FORGET

rest in peace our fallen friends

Archived