Could you make gin ice cubes?

Craigieboy

I was thinking of pouring the gin into the ice cube trays, neat. Then you could put them into your tonic water.

Would this work or would it dilute the strengh of the gin?

I was thinking of pouring the gin into the ice cube trays, neat. Then you could put them into your tonic water.

Would this work or would it dilute the strengh of the gin?

If your freezer can freeze things to below 114'C

average household freezer doesn't reach temperatures low enough to freeze anything over about 40% ABV.

I guess it would work ok. Shouldn't dilute the gin at all unless you are adding water to it. However alcohol freezes at a lower temperature than water so the freezer compartment of a fridge might not be good enough - try lying the ice cube tray flat in a proper freezer.

I have had success with a similar approach - cut a fresh lime into wedges and freeze them in a sandwich bag, then you always have lime to hand and don't need ice cubes either!

I guess it would work ok. Shouldn't dilute the gin at all unless you are adding water to it. However alcohol freezes at a lower temperature than water so the freezer compartment of a fridge might not be good enough - try lying the ice cube tray flat in a proper freezer.

I have had success with a similar approach - cut a fresh lime into wedges and freeze them in a sandwich bag, then you always have lime to hand and don't need ice cubes either!

You missed a trick there mate, cause the shops are now selling them in bags.

Great idea really.

The People's Chimp
If your freezer can freeze things to below 114'C

average household freezer doesn't reach temperatures low enough to freeze anything over about 40% ABV.

He'll have to lower the tone and use gordon's (37%) then; no bombay, hendricks or tanqueray.

Great idea!!! I await the outcome of this thread with interest. ffs G&Ts on demand without all the faffing about with ice cubes and lemon! Mrs Deeside also awaits the outcome, the drunken slag.

He'll have to lower the tone and use gordon's (37%) then; no bombay, hendricks or tanqueray.

Its just not worth it, might as well drink turps...

Great idea!!! I await the outcome of this thread with interest. ffs G&Ts on demand without all the faffing about with ice cubes and lemon! Mrs Deeside also awaits the outcome, the drunken slag.

Sounds like a lovely lady... :eek:

I can make the ice cube from the spirit of your choice in the -80 freezers at work and sell them on.....

they might be liquid when you get them delivered but they would have been frozen at one point :)

A Boy Named Crow

If you have a bottle of vodka or gin and you don't keep it in the freezer you really need to have a word with yourself!

If you have a bottle of vodka or gin and you don't keep it in the freezer you really need to have a word with yourself!

eh? How do you get the alkie out? I suppose you could blooter it with a hammer or something but that may make a bit of a mess and spoil the evening.

blondejamtart
eh? How do you get the alkie out? I suppose you could blooter it with a hammer or something but that may make a bit of a mess and spoil the evening.

I keep my vodka in the freezer and it doesn't freeze!

The People's Chimp
Its just not worth it, might as well drink turps...

I know; wacky ice cube innovations aside, it's letting oneself down immeasurably.

blondejamtart
Is it switched on?

Well, d'oh!!! Obviously, otherwise my Ben & Jerrys would melt, and that would never do! Vodka in the freezer is the only way to go, trust me! :cool:

Well, d'oh!!! Obviously, otherwise my Ben & Jerrys would melt, and that would never do! Vodka in the freezer is the only way to go, trust me! :cool:

This thread has opened up a whole new world for me. I will commence my, ahem, exploration, of this tonight, once I have turfed out the kids chicken nuggets to make space.

you would have to put a lock on the freezer compartment incase the kids started filling their colas (cheap brand) with your special packages!!! you would be wondering why the hell are the kids smashing the house up and puking everywhere:sad:

portobellojambo1
Is it switched on?

Vodka does not freeze in a home freezer, however the freezer does maintain it at a temperature that means you pour and drink, simple and effective.

blondejamtart
Vodka does not freeze in a home freezer, however the freezer does maintain it at a temperature that means you pour and drink, simple and effective.

It does become a bit more viscous though - more syrupy in texture!

Right, thats me away home then. If I put a bottle in the freezer it should be ready in time for the UEFA Cup matches. Yaaaa beautyyyyyy.

Guest juvehearts

liquid nitrogen or dry Ice,

avaiable from any good chemical friends at uni!!

works a treat.

failing that & you are keen to try this method out, get your self along to any hospital 9try not to get caught) release the valve on the nirtogen pipe & put into a nescafe coffee jar & run.

classic kickback:eek:

Inspector Rex
I keep my vodka in the freezer and it doesn't freeze!

Uh oh. I have a funny story behind the freezing of vodka. In our earlier years a mate and I would bust into his parents' freezer and take some of the vodka every now and then. He thought he was being quite mischievous putting water in it to cover the tracks, but of course neither of us were thinking straight and well we all know what happens with water in the freezer. :o

Uh oh. I have a funny story behind the freezing of vodka. In our earlier years a mate and I would bust into his parents' freezer and take some of the vodka every now and then. He thought he was being quite mischievous putting water in it to cover the tracks, but of course neither of us were thinking straight and well we all know what happens with water in the freezer. :o

The same happened to me last night. I put the Gin in the freezer and it never froze. However, I went to the garage to get my voddie and I saw that the bottle had mould inside it. I'm no scientist but I am pretty sure that vodka can't go mouldy. You guessed it, my beloved son had nicked the lot and replaced it with water. Not bad for a 13-year-old. Needless to say he denied everything, the little mingin swine.

Regal Kingston
The same happened to me last night. I put the Gin in the freezer and it never froze. However, I went to the garage to get my voddie and I saw that the bottle had mould inside it. I'm no scientist but I am pretty sure that vodka can't go mouldy. You guessed it, my beloved son had nicked the lot and replaced it with water. Not bad for a 13-year-old. Needless to say he denied everything, the little mingin swine.

So your wifes a 'drunken slag' and your sons a 'little mingin' swine,'?

I smell a sitcom.

liquid nitrogen or dry Ice,

avaiable from any good chemical friends at uni!!

works a treat.

failing that & you are keen to try this method out, get your self along to any hospital 9try not to get caught) release the valve on the nirtogen pipe & put into a nescafe coffee jar & run.

you do realise that the jar would explode if you did that

So your wifes a 'drunken slag' and your sons a 'little mingin' swine,'?

I smell a sitcom.

ffs mate. You try living with them! My boys stated intention was to "sh@g every girl in the town". I would be impressed but he was only 10 at the time. I must ask him for a progress report on that. No doubt the nicked vodka was used in his objective. Even worse, he supports the sheep, but he has been told that this will result in a lifetime of dissapointment for him.

Have you tried it?

i've seen a demonstration of it, it only happens if the contaner is sealed. It is because when it warms up you get more gas produced (volume) and then the pressure builds up and the glass reaches its maximum capacity and shatters.

On a side note i've heard if you freeze acetone into an icecube then set it alight, the cube stays but you get a flame

The People's Chimp
ffs mate. You try living with them! My boys stated intention was to "sh@g every girl in the town". I would be impressed but he was only 10 at the time. I must ask him for a progress report on that. No doubt the nicked vodka was used in his objective. Even worse, he supports the sheep, but he has been told that this will result in a lifetime of dissapointment for him.

things just get worse and worse for you.

Guest juvehearts
i've seen a demonstration of it, it only happens if the contaner is sealed. It is because when it warms up you get more gas produced (volume) and then the pressure builds up and the glass reaches its maximum capacity and shatters.

On a side note i've heard if you freeze acetone into an icecube then set it alight, the cube stays but you get a flame

the idea is to get the glass at the same tempature as the gas, ive personally never tried it, but a few uni larkies that i know of have & it worked!

purley for scientific experiments only, he wanted some & never had the gust to 'borrow' some out of uni so he went to the hospital (where his now ex gf worked) and borrowed some of her's.

true story

Archived