Giants? Really??

Jambo83

In today's EEN there is an article in which the wee ginger whinger refers to Tynecastle as the "Land of the Giants" given the height of our players apparently.

This is something I have always found confusing, our team has tall, short and average height players just like everyone elses. So I took a couple of minutes to actually look it up (sad I know...)

From our starting XI on Sunday only 7 actually have their height on their wikipedia / soccerbase profiles and the average height is 1.82m. The 4 players I couldn't get stats for were Zal, Karipidis, Driver & Jonsson. I would say the first 2 are about 6ft 2, Jonsson is about 5ft 11 and Driver is around 5ft 8 or 9.

The Celtic starting XI were all on wikipedia / soccerbase and their average height was 1.81m

So where does this myth come from that Hearts are such a big team??

That Fat Tango Bassa also used to love calling us a big physical team.

It's accepted Scottish football mythology................

Hearts - Big physical hoofball merchants.

Hibs - Attractive football, young players.

Celtic - The glorious underdog against the dark forces of protestant rule.

Rangers - Media darlings.

Aberdeen - Big club.

Partick Thistle - Everyones wee team.

Gretna - Universally loved.

Feel free to add some more.

We were big up front when we had Bednar and Janny fit and playing but that was about three years ago now.

I'd say we are an average sized team at best.

Strap-on might be vertically challenged himself, but Thellik are the club that gave the SPL Marc Reiper, Alan Stubbs, John Hartson, Chris Sutton and Bobo Bade.

Hhhmmm.

Buffalo Bill

Apart from the 2 keepers, they also had the two tallest outfield players aswell, Stephen McManus and Cillian Sheridan.

I feel that the bevvied up Jambo was well within his rights to brand this midget an ****hole, he clearly is!!!

Everyone is a giant in the eyes of Strap-on.

Buffalo Bill

Killie were the team I thought looked big so far this season. Last season, when Ragners gubbed us 4-0 at home I thought they looked enormous.

In today's EEN there is an article in which the wee ginger whinger refers to Tynecastle as the "Land of the Giants" given the height of our players apparently.

This is something I have always found confusing, our team has tall, short and average height players just like everyone elses. So I took a couple of minutes to actually look it up (sad I know...)

From our starting XI on Sunday only 7 actually have their height on their wikipedia / soccerbase profiles and the average height is 1.82m. The 4 players I couldn't get stats for were Zal, Karipidis, Driver & Jonsson. I would say the first 2 are about 6ft 2, Jonsson is about 5ft 11 and Driver is around 5ft 8 or 9.

The Celtic starting XI were all on wikipedia / soccerbase and their average height was 1.81m

So where does this myth come from that Hearts are such a big team??

That Fat Tango Bassa also used to love calling us a big physical team.

We were always tagged as being a Physical Team as well mostly by the media.

Swiss scientists recently proved that wearing maroon actually makes people look taller to onlookers. If I remember correctly, it was due to the retinal analysis of that pigmentation confusing the vertical comprehension section of the brain. So he might have something there.

It's accepted Scottish football mythology................

Hearts - Big physical hoofball merchants.

Hibs - Attractive football, young players.

Celtic - The glorious underdog against the dark forces of protestant rule.

Rangers - Media darlings.

Aberdeen - Big club.

Partick Thistle - Everyones wee team.

Gretna - Universally loved.

Feel free to add some more.

St mirren - soap lovers

Killie were the team I thought looked big so far this season. Last season, when Ragners gubbed us 4-0 at home I thought they looked enormous.

And Inverness too, although they're even worse than us and that's some feat.

Buffalo Bill

scott herbertson

Try looking at it sideways on with a mirror - oops , wrong forum....

;)

Strap-on might be vertically challenged himself, but Thellik are the club that gave the SPL Marc Reiper, Alan Stubbs, John Hartson, Chris Sutton and Bobo Bade.

Hhhmmm.

Buffalo Bill

In a nutshell BB, in a nutshell! No need for further comments the above says it all. ;)

Swiss scientists recently proved that wearing maroon actually makes people look taller to onlookers. If I remember correctly, it was due to the retinal analysis of that pigmentation confusing the vertical comprehension section of the brain. So he might have something there.

Quite a mouthfull there :)

We were big up front when we had Bednar and Janny fit and playing but that was about three years ago now.

I'd say we are an average sized team at best.

Hhhmmm.

Buffalo Bill

I always felt it was men against boys when we played that C*lt!c team. I felt that we needed to try to compete physically as well as technically.

Seems that they don't like it up 'em.

Far too many saps in the Hearts squad.

Total underestimation by the signing committees of what is required to win in Scottish football - guts.

Archived