Czaba as Uganda Coach

vilenin

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, or if I'm just misremembering the talk at the time, but wasn't part of the hard sell of Czaba to us supporters the fact that he had taken Uganda from some position at the bottom of the world rankings to a position about 100 higher up?

I was just on the Fifa site wasting time at work, and you can track each nations position - and while Czaba was in charge they went from position 99 when he took over in July 2006 to position 97 when he joined us.

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=uga/ranking/gender=m/index.html

Not all that impressive, really :( Makes you wonder what the attraction was?

boabyarsebiscuit
Makes you wonder what the attraction was?

I think you know exactly what the attraction was.

Put it this way. If Sooty hadn't been booked up for the Christmas season at Cliff's Pavilion, Westcliff-on-Sea, and hadn't refused to break up his partnership with Matthew Corbett, he was in with a good chance of the job.

And with Thunderbirds' "Brains" making a comeback on TV commercials, maybe Mr Romanov has his solution if he punts Csaba in January.

There was something else in the sales pitch for Csaba which wasnt true - but I cant remember what it was

Was it something to do with the "fact" he qualified Ferencvaros into the Champions League - but the reality was he arrived after they won the league, and they lost in the qualifiers and didnt get to the league at all

What I do know is that they won the league before his arrival and he then took them to 2nd then 5th. He also managed them to a defeat in the UEFA cup to a certain Belarussian team from Ripo...

There was something else in the sales pitch for Csaba which wasnt true - but I cant remember what it was

The club is quite good at being careless with the truth over managerial appointments. The website informed us that Burger had won the Swiss championship with one of his teams - except that the championship concerned turned out to have as much to do with the top tier in Switzerland as Annan Athletic do with the SPL.

boabyarsebiscuit
The club is quite good at being careless with the truth over managerial appointments. The website informed us that Burger had won the Swiss championship with one of his teams - except that the championship concerned turned out to have as much to do with the top tier in Switzerland as Annan Athletic do with the SPL.

Werner Burger's CV makes John McGlynn look like Jose Mourinho. An incredible appointment (still Csaba needed a pal to keep him company, I suppose).

boabyarsebiscuit
Do we know if Burger was Csabas choice and they had worked together previously etc or was he found by Vlads extensive scouting network that we hear so much about?

This may not be exactly correct, but I believe Werner is a friend of Csaba's. They met when they were on a coaching course in Germany and remained friends. When Csaba eventually got a job where he could manage to get a East Seniors level coach pal a job, he brought him over to Riccarton.

This may not be exactly correct, but I believe Werner is a friend of Csaba's. They met when they were on a coaching course in Germany and remained friends. When Csaba eventually got a job where he could manage to get a East Seniors level coach pal a job, he brought him over to Riccarton.

Since Burley, have we ever in our history had such a run of poor quality / no proven track record managers?

Quite astonishing the chances that have been given to people non-deserving of our good will

Werner Burger's CV makes John McGlynn look like Jose Mourinho. An incredible appointment (still Csaba needed a pal to keep him company, I suppose).

Amazing, Csaba gets his own choice of assistant and people complain, he doesn't and people complain!!

boabyarsebiscuit
Since Burley, have we ever in our history had such a run of poor quality / no proven track record managers?

Quite astonishing the chances that have been given to people non-deserving of our good will

It's either "damaged goods" or desperate managers who can be manipulated, or Axis of Gash pyramid trustees. And it'll continue to be so until the Mad Fud leaves, sadly.

boabyarsebiscuit
Amazing, Csaba gets his own choice of assistant and people complain, he doesn't and people complain!!

Not me, I'm consistent. I only complain about totally useless incompetents running our football club.

Hhhmmmm. Is that beetroot soup I'm smelling?

We had a number of duds before in fact! eg Haggart, Ford, an end of the road Ormond but probably not such an assortment of nonentities. First quarter over and not any real progress. In fact the feelgood did not last much beyond the Motherwell game.

Guest JamboRobbo

Agreed. Hearts fans just complain about everything for no reason at all.

We should be eternally grateful we are not at Murrayfield, and we should thank Mr Romanov from the bottom of our Hearts for getting us as high as 8th in the league.

Now, where is my beetroot soup?

Not me, I'm consistent. I only complain about totally useless incompetents running our football club.

Hhhmmmm. Is that beetroot soup I'm smelling?

Maybe not you, but others.

The same ones who complained when Pinilla was offered a new contract, and then complained when he was released.

The same ones who complained when we were livingoutwith our means, but then complain about the cost cutting.

The same ones who complain that he has lost interest, but also complain that he is picking the team.

Agreed. Hearts fans just complain about everything for no reason at all.

We should be eternally grateful we are not at Murrayfield, and we should thank Mr Romanov from the bottom of our Hearts for getting us as high as 8th in the league.

Now, where is my beetroot soup?

NOw that is not what I said or meant or said and you know it.

You can complain, but to then complain still when the opposite happens is just plain daft.

Guest JamboRobbo
NOw that is not what I said or meant or said and you know it.

You can complain, but to then complain still when the opposite happens is just plain daft.

So, who do you feel is complaining about both sides of this argument?

Just because some people complain about one thing, and others might complain about something else, that doesn't mean the same person is complaining about both things.

We had a number of duds before in fact! eg Haggart, Ford, an end of the road Ormond but probably not such an assortment of nonentities. First quarter over and not any real progress. In fact the feelgood did not last much beyond the Motherwell game.

Hows this for a run of gash

Rix

Rix/Duffy

Ivanauskas

Malofeev

Botchup/Frail

Cervenkov / Botchup / Frail

Frail

Laszlo

I defy anybody to come close to matching that losing streak of urine...

Its a complete stain of pish on the history of the managers role at Hearts

Charlie-Brown

I see it is now open season on Csaba Laszlo & Werner Berger ....... remind me again what sort of managerial track record John Harvey, Alex MacDonald, Sandy Clark, Craig Levein or John Robertson had when they were appointed?

Guest JamboRobbo
I see it is now open season on Csaba Laszlo & Werner Berger ....... remind me again what sort of managerial track record John Harvey, Alex MacDonald, Sandy Clark, Craig Levein or John Robertson had when they were appointed?

the cavalry have arrived. Cue frantic making up of excuses to justify everything and anything.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

firefighter%20Myspace%20Layouts.jpg

Charlie-Brown
the cavalry have arrived. Cue frantic making up of excuses to justify everything and anything.

I just think it's way too early to judge Csaba - Levein was accused of being cheap option & easily manipulated by Pieman when he got appointed and it was 2 seasons before we saw any marked improvement when he was manager.

Guest JamboRobbo
I just think it's way too early to judge Csaba - Levein was accused of being cheap option & easily manipulated by Pieman when he got appointed and it was 2 seasons before we saw any marked improvement when he was manager.

as I said. The cavalry has arrived.

Was it too early to judge Frail also? Thought not.

Csaba talked the talk. I was happy to see if he could walk the walk. the more I see of him, the more I think he's full of hot air - talks a good game, but actions speak louder than words.

He's got to stop talking ****e, and start making things happen.

boabyarsebiscuit

I've now seen Csaba Laszlo "manage" against all our League rivals. If it's him managing, I see yet another manager who plays players out of position, persists with a dire 4-5-1 formation, can't react to in-game changes and talks crap to press and fans alike. I look at his prior track record and see nothing that makes me think he's good enough to improve things.

I could be wrong, but I think he's a dud. But what do I know?

No, cue simply throwing up some sort of history lesson by randomly listing things or people from the past.

I mean, Mugabe isnt that bad. Look at Hussein, Hitler, Stalin...

or to avoid the "Aw, yer sick, comparing Vlad to Hitler. You've sunk the depths" claims...which of course misses the point that I am not comparing Vlad to Hitler....

I mean Bush isnt that bad. Look at Nixon, Reagan and Truman

Generic Username

It's just my opinion but I do think Csaba is the best of the bad bunch that have had a crack at the job since Burley.

That's not to say we're amazing. At least we're no longer subjected to 90 minutes of hoofball, although alarmingly it did make a strong comeback in the Celtic game - 3 passes then smashed up the park for Nade to flick on to no one.

He's working under the exact same constraints as everyone else who's been here under Romanov. Unless he is given more freedom (which I highly doubt will happen) then it'll be more of the same this season in terms of team line ups and performances.

I also think that he should be given a full season but I honestly can't see him lasting that long. Not because we're relegation fodder but more along the lines of that's just what happens at Tynie.

Think we'd be a much better looking outfit if we'd sold off a lot of dross at the start of the season and signed a striker (a fit one).

I hope Csaba has time to prove himself but I am already sick to death with sitting deep in a 4-5-1 at home.

I honestly wouldn't mind if the formation meant bodies flying forward but we have nothing up front. It's just spirit-crushing to watch at times.

He seems like a good guy and I will give him more time, but I'm not convinced.

Buffalo Bill

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Clark, Levein and Robertson were all Hearts legends. That naturally bought them more favour from the supporters. It doesn't surprise me one bit that somebody who has contributed so much to the apathy among Hearts supporters by methodically taking apart any hint of protest every single time for over three years now would besmirch their names by trying to make Hearts fans turn on them like we do Romanov puppets.

Charlie-Brown

I simply asked what managerial track record they had as none of them had any great managerial experience, this was cited as a criticism of caba

I don't know about Harvey, but Levein and Robertson were both seen as top quality young managers when they came to Tynie and Clark had proven himself by turning out a load of good players from our own youth ranks - and MacDonald had no experience at all, so was neither good nor bad in terms of track record.

Whereas Czaba has a lot of experience as a manager and a positively poor track record which was wildly exaggerated when he came on board.

It's not open season on anyone, but Czaba's track record suggests a poor to middling manager at absolute best.

I simply asked what managerial track record they had as none of them had any great managerial experience, this was cited as a criticism of caba

Levein and Robertson - rated as two of the top young managers in the country when they came to Hearts. Clark and MacDonald, promoted from within after successful coaching spells.

More importantly, lack of experience isn't Czaba's problem - it's the fact that his track record is rubbish (slated for a lack of interest in bringing on youngsters, knocked out of Europe by MK Ripo with the Hungarians, lost to Lesotho, Benin and Tanzania as Uganda coach, sacked by FC Sopro after a couple of months) and was portrayed as miles better than it actually was.

I dont actually see any direct criticism of his lack of track record

Questions as to the accuracy of the track record presented to us by the club, yes.

As I see it, he has a track record, such as it is, to the extent that he has first team coaching experience at league, and european level.

Much in the same way Ivanauskas has.

It doesnt appear that he has the requisite kwalitee though, and is in a long line of Romanov appointed "coaches" who we wouldnt have pished on at any other time in our history, nevermind a time when we have squandered more money than any other time in our history...

Alex McDonald had played in European finals for Rangers. How good was Laszlo's playing career again?

And as others have said, Robbo/Levein and Clark were all top players for Hearts. Levein and Clark had been youth coaches at Hearts. And Robbo had a grounding in management at other teams - as well as being one of the best players ever for Hearts.

My prediction is that Laszlo will go down as a minor footnote in Hearts history.

I dont actually see any direct criticism of his lack of track record

Questions as to the accuracy of the track record presented to us by the club, yes.

As I see it, he has a track record, such as it is, to the extent that he has first team coaching experience at league, and european level.

Much in the same way Ivanauskas has.

It doesnt appear that he has the requisite kwalitee though, and is in a long line of Romanov appointed "coaches" who we wouldnt have pished on at any other time in our history, nevermind a time when we have squandered more money than any other time in our history...

I posted at the time Laszlo was appointed, that Valdas' playing and managerial record was superior to Laszlo's.

It's not open season on anyone, but Czaba's track record suggests a poor to middling manager at absolute best.

What is concerning is that the boost in motivation that the players appeared to gain following his arrival and resulted in a "bright" start to the season has worn off

Far from the players getting more in tune with whatever they are being told and gelling more, taking the new coaching ideas they appeared to show signs of at the start of the season, they are actually getting worse, and if we are to be believed that Csaba is telling them how to improve, appear to be listening less and less, and taking on board less and less of what they are being told

Early goals lost has been mentioned a couple of times recently

A lack of concentration

The need for plenty of crosses

Playing passes not long balls

All things mentioned over the past few weeks by Csaba in the press without much evidence of it happening on the pitch

To any true football fan of a club with genuine footballing ambitions and hopes this disconnect should be concerning.

Csaba must be held responsible, as that is part of the job, for the recent poor results, and particularly lack of passion and effort. If he is not being told who to play he certainly fits the pattern. The perseverance with Mole, and the apparent personality problem with Glen are two examples of manipulation or sheer stubborness..

I have no doubt someone who talks such an intelligent theoretical game should be able to get the job done, but his sideline histrionics and hand signals which were so evident on the HW video coverage on Saturday could leave a person to believe that he is not satisfactorily getting his tactical message over at practise during the week, or he is teaching at an intellectual level over his students head, or what is more frightening they are already tuning him out.

I like Csaba, I love his press conferences, they are quite entertaining, I also loved being entertained by Seinfeld, Frasier et al. They ran out their popularity time, and without more success on the field I am afraid Csaba will suffer the same fate.

I have the same emotion with Csaba as I have with Romanov, I just wish someone was able to sit down, speak to them openly and make them truly understand what Heart of Midlothian really is all about.

Guest JamboRobbo
Csaba must be held responsible, as that is part of the job, for the recent poor results, and particularly lack of passion and effort. If he is not being told who to play he certainly fits the pattern. The perseverance with Mole, and the apparent personality problem with Glen are two examples of manipulation or sheer stubborness..

I have no doubt someone who talks such an intelligent theoretical game should be able to get the job done, but his sideline histrionics and hand signals which were so evident on the HW video coverage on Saturday could leave a person to believe that he is not satisfactorily getting his tactical message over at practise during the week, or he is teaching at an intellectual level over his students head, or what is more frightening they are already tuning him out.

I like Csaba, I love his press conferences, they are quite entertaining, I also loved being entertained by Seinfeld, Frasier et al. They ran out their popularity time, and without more success on the field I am afraid Csaba will suffer the same fate.

I have the same emotion with Csaba as I have with Romanov, I just wish someone was able to sit down, speak to them openly and make them truly understand what Heart of Midlothian really is all about.

As usual, an insightful post Bob. Agree with all you say.

The bit I highlighted in bold is the thing that I always thought would eventually happen - it was only a matter of time I thought. Someone will make him see sense. But these days, having seen what I've seen and heard what I've heard, some of it from the horses mouth, unfortunatly, i don't think anyone will ever succeed.

Guest JamboRobbo

Think we'd be a much better looking outfit if we'd sold off a lot of dross at the start of the season and signed a striker (a fit one).

Agreed. I got quite a bit of stick for saying as much at the time.

I think the time to judge Csaba will not arrive until the January transfer window.

We'll know then at least, if we don't bring some decent players in, whether he took on the job in the full knowledge that he was simply to be a puppet.

If on the other hand, he brings in a couple of players who turn our season around, then he will be a hero.

But the clock does appear to be ticking, and come 31 January, it may well be time up as far as goodwill goes.

Charlie-Brown

Boaby as your a fan of Mikey Stewart i take it you think he is dead wrong regards Csaba's qualities as a manager?

boabyarsebiscuit
Boaby as your a fan of Mikey Stewart i take it you think he is dead wrong regards Csaba's qualities as a manager?

Yes.

Generic Username
Agreed. I got quite a bit of stick for saying as much at the time.

The biggest problem with our squad is we lack serious competition for places.

There's no serious competition in the centre of defence for Zaliukas.

Pretty much zero competition for Eggy and Wallace.

It goes all the way through the squad, but the guys who know there is someone else who can play their position aren't worried because the player in waiting is just as good/bad as they are.

You bring in an experienced and talented centre back and watch just how hard Zaliukas tries the next time he gets into the team.

Get a striker who knows where the goal is and watch Nade, Mole etc bust a gut when they get their chance as a sub or to start a game.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

It goes all the way through the squad, but the guys who know there is someone else who can play their position aren't worried because the player in waiting is just as good/bad as they are.

You bring in an experienced and talented centre back and watch just how hard Zaliukas tries the next time he gets into the team.

Get a striker who knows where the goal is and watch Nade, Mole etc bust a gut when they get their chance as a sub or to start a game.

Thing is though, Zaliukas should be competition for Karipidis.

Instead, Ruben is competing with Karipidis for another position.

Madness.

Guest JamboRobbo

Agree. But no matter how hard Zaliukas tries, he's not gonna turn into even a competent SPL defender. He's an accident waiting to happen every time he's on the park.

I'm surprised over how much we are willing to debate Shabba's managerial abilities (or lack of). He wasn't signed to be a manager, he was signed to be a stooge. I bet you he thinks half our players are as ****e as we think they are. I don't think he was under any illusions about how much 'managing' he'd be doing before he took the post, however for him, it's still a better job than being the Uganda manager.

Thing is though, Zaliukas should be competition for Karipidis.

Instead, Ruben is competing with Karipidis for another position.

Madness.

I refuse to believe theres ever been a club as obsessed with playing central defenders in midfield as Hearts.

Why Hearts are so obsessed with it is another debate altogether....

Wasn't the reason we got Csaba because he was cheap. I think Vlad interviewed them all and picked the cheapest and the one who could be easily influenced by his decisions.

Archived