David Murray Apologises

Rawrrrrrrr

To dundee and dundee utd after claiming the OF were hard done by and it was more of an issue in dundee regarding sectarianism

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7705269.stm

What a prat, is it any wonder we have these issues whilst the clubs try and stoke the flames and profit from the hatred their clubs breed.

Utd and Dundee should take him for every penny

The Daily ranger has a different view

Sir David Murray warns of Scotland's sectarian obsession after Dundee row

Nov 4 2008 By James Traynor

SIR DAVID MURRAY last night said that Scottish football is in jeopardy of being dragged down by the nation's "endless obsession" with sectarianism and racism.

The Rangers' chairman was reacting after Dundee United and Dundee attacked him when it was reported in a Sunday paper that he had described some of their fans as sectarian.

There were no quotes to back up the piece but even so Murray felt he should apologise before having another go at those he believes are attempting to put his club at the centre of the game's evils. He said: "It is absolutely right that fans' behaviour comes under scrutiny but it seems to becoming an obsession in the media and political arenas as well as among supporters.

"We are facing the real possibility of losing sight of the bigger picture, which is that watching football in Scotland is generally safe and must be a comfortable and enjoyable experience for everyone.

"On Saturday at Ibrox we had more than 100 servicemen and women recently returned from Iraq and Afghanistan as our guests.

"They were given a tremendous reception and any fan in the ground will tell you that this is the kind of thing they want to see and read about. Our fans went home happy after the team's performance and a great afternoon's entertainment.

That is what matters to them and to the overwhelming majority of football fans around the country.

"We were also delighted to support on Saturday the launch of the annual Show Racism the Red Card initiative which has helped make Scotland a place where racism is nowhere near as prevalent an issue as it is elsewhere.

"However, you would not think Scotland has even emerged from the dark ages in terms of racism or sectarianism when you see the endless obsession with these issues.

"The reality is that sectarianism and racism are not the problems they once were in this country.

"I was quoted in one newspaper talking about the type of comments that appear on unofficial fans' websites. I mentioned Dundee and Dundee United as examples of how rival supporters wind each other up.

"The next thing being suggested was I was accusing them of sectarianism. My actual quote made no reference to this but that is the conclusion drawn. What I was actually suggesting was the vicious comments that appear on unofficial websites are commonplace."

Murray phoned Dundee United yesterday to apologise and Tannadice director Derek Robertson said: "This apology and explanation has been accepted and we now consider this matter to be at an end."

Dundee chairman Bob Brannan said he would also be happy to draw a line under the matter.

old firm supremo in shock attempt to divert attention and culpability away from his own issues and problems.

we've never seen that before.

In a way I can see what he is trying to say. I think every club in the country has the same problem to a certain extent, obviously the old firm has the biggest problem off all, but everybody seems to be happy to lay the blame at the others doors rather than trying to deal with their own problems.

Like it or not sectarianism is a nationwide problem, not just a Rangers and Celtic one, and sadly its one I doubt will ever go away mainly due to the point I make above. :(

Guest gorgie kev
To dundee and dundee utd after claiming the OF were hard done by and it was more of an issue in dundee regarding sectarianism

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7705269.stm

What a prat, is it any wonder we have these issues whilst the clubs try and stoke the flames and profit from the hatred their clubs breed.

Utd and Dundee should take him for every penny

Good old tin legs trying to deflect attention from his own clubs "problem"

Archived