Do we need a hard man

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Brian Whittaker's Tache

in the team?

I'm thinking a Neil Berry type character who'll get stuck in and make opposition players think twice?

Do these players still exist?

in the team?

I'm thinking a Neil Berry type character who'll get stuck in and make opposition players think twice?

no they are extinct. the common or garden neil berry (berryus elephantine-homo sapien) died out in the early 1990s period.

no disrespect to yourself or chuck...BUT i never thought of berry as hard.Busby yes,Bruno yes,guys like Dave McKay ,Ron Yeats and Vinnie Jones.

Just cant see Berry in their league......

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Funny you should say that but a few of us were discussing general football in the pub last night and were talking about the English Prem. We thought that Arsenal needed a hard man to compliment all thier flair. Then we got it round to saying we also need a hard man (although we obviously dont have the flair). A Kenny Black figure in our team certainly wouldnt go wrong. Plus a couple of strikers of course

in the team?

Yes, our team is totally lightweight.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I'd love to see a player at Tynecastle who could mix it a bit on the pitch.

I thought we were missing that yesterday, with someone who would go in hard . 90% of 50/50's yesterday we bottled it

a julien brellier type who would half someone early doors, make it easy for whichever SFA robot it is to book him, kybosh himself for the rest of the game?

in the team?

We certainly do.

I was kinda hoping Mrowiecz was signed to do that job but like most of our new signings they spend 10 weeks in the treatment room before they actually do anything.

i think its definitely one of the things we need. Maybe Mrowiec, but who knows.

Look at someone like Pasquale at Kille, he's what they call 'an enforcer' in italy Stefano Salvatore got him over for Jim n Billy) and he's really toughened them up. He's been booked like 7 times already tho

January might be interesting. Maybe. Perhaps.

I think it would be useful but at the same time would be just another excuse for the bent refs to get stuck in ...

Drylaw Hearts

Our team/squad is full of lightweights - with the obvious exception of Mr Nade !!!

Maloney, Hartley, Brown and Robson won just about every tackle they went in for yesterday.

Not a chance.

We currently get hammered by the SFA at the best of times, a 'hard man' would simply give them an extra excuse.

Brellier was a close as we did and should have come.

Barasa doesnt count.

There are plenty of 'hard men' on KB who could puff their chests out and go for the role though....

I think we definitely need a bit of aggression in the team. There aren't many players like that around - I personally don't think Brellier had the cunning to pull it off, hence he got booked and sent off far too regularly.

As for here and now, we could do worse than sign Maybury on a short term deal IMHO.

Drylaw Hearts

There are plenty of 'hard men' on KB who could puff their chests out and go for the role though....

Are you putting your name forward Dr B ?

Johanes de Silentio

I'm tempted to say that it's a Pressley-type leader that we need, but look how that turned out!

Mind when Jefferies looked into the possibility of signing Vinnie Jones? How cool would that have been?

Sad to say, but we have no bottle for a scrap the now - it's genuinely hard to know where to look for inspiration.

What we really need IMO is a Gary McKay type to demand better from the players - to literally threaten and challenge them into playing better.

McKay had/has his faults, but he could fairly take a game by the scruff of the neck when he wanted!

The only player that comes close the now is Mikey Stewart, I'd say.

Pressley was unquestionably the daddy in the dressing room until sundry billy-big-pocket imposters showed up.

Also, a no-nonsense disciplinarian boss like Jefferies, Levein, or McDonald would sort out and empty the 'stars' in our dressing room.

We're a right soft touch the now, sadly!

Jam Tarts 1874
in the team?

We had one in the reserves last season (with more talent than Berry) but let him get away, his name is Eddie Mearns - still only 19 and getting a regular game with Dundee.

We need at least 3 powerful players - a centre half, a centre midfielder and a striker.

Too many saps in the Hearts team. The scouts/agents/management committee regularly sign saps not suited to the SPL.

Absolutely what we need just now. Kari is class but is out of position. Funnily enough so is Jonsson (who I personally don't think will ever make a right back, sadly). But, how about swapping them round and playing them in their correct positions? Controversial, I know.

The Celtic midfield totally owned our midfield on Sunday.

They had players like Brown who were intimidating our players, getting in our face, not allowing us to settle down, they were battling for each other.

We have lost every game this year when our opposing midfield get right at us. Our formation and general softness doesn't suit the Scottish game.

It is one thing to demand hard work, but hard work alone does not win matches. Many better foreign managers have failed in Scotland because they are trying to enforce a continental type game here and as we are so ingrained in one braveheart style game it will never change. Csaba needs to learn and understand what makes great Scottish teams and build our team on this ethos.

Celtic had almost a full team of Scots starting and they showed more hunger, more commitment and what it means to play for a team that wants to win everything in front of them.

We don't need an "Old Skool" hard man as with the current breed of refs he would spend half his time in the stands through suspension. These players can only exist in the SPL when they have achieved "untouchable" status and play for the OF.

I'd much rather have fitter, stronger, better midfielders who have the will and the technique to chase back and win a tackle.

Stewart lost practically every 50/50 on Sunday with Robson, Brown or Hartley not because of lack of aggression - It's because he is rank.

I agree with everything Pat Nevin states in this summary Here

The Celtic midfield were all over the park on Sunday when in attack and in defence.

I'd love to see a player at Tynecastle who could mix it a bit on the pitch.

I thought we were missing that yesterday, with someone who would go in hard . 90% of 50/50's yesterday we bottled it

I made a sideways mention to it yesterday. NO Hearts player saw a yellow card on Sunday. In a game, where the opposition are walking through you with ease, I would at least like to point to our players fighting to stop them. A lack of bookings suggests to me that we did exactly what you suggest above, bottled it.

Brellier would be a god send right now, I would love to see any player in there that will not hesitate to half their best players. However, it does not necessarily have to be a central midfielder either, our defence is desperately in need of a "boss", someone to rule their forwards.

R@ng*rs have We!r

C*lt!c have McManus

Aberdeen have Diamond

Dundee United have Wilkie

Motherwell have Craigan

Hibs, ruddy Hibs have Jones

St Mirren have Haining

ICT have McGuire

Falkirk have Bullen

Kilmarnock have Wright

Hamilton have, erm, I dunno!

We have Zaliukas, and I would swap him for at least eight of those.

Spitonastranger
in the team?

if they exist they play for the OF where they know they wont be penalised:mad:

R@ng*rs have We!r

C*lt!c have McManus

Aberdeen have Diamond

Dundee United have Wilkie

Motherwell have Craigan

Hibs, ruddy Hibs have Jones

St Mirren have Haining

ICT have McGuire

Falkirk have Bullen

Kilmarnock have Wright

Hamilton have, erm, I dunno!

Most of the players that you've mentioned there are terrible.

On topic, the midfield needs Neil MacFarlane.

Forever Maroon
in the team?

Big time - we lose far too many soft goals. we need an uncompromising CH & a tough tackling CM & a striker that can score?

That?ll be the spine of the team then, that the Mad man dismantled a few season back !!

Most of the players that you've mentioned there are terrible.

On topic, the midfield needs Neil MacFarlane.

I was not saying they were fantastic, I was saying that I would rather have them than Zaliukas.

However, given your MacFarlane reference, I am not sure if the first statement was serious. ;)

alwaysthereinspirit
in the team?

They do exist but would not thrive in any Hearts team right now.

As long as Mad is in charge, Hearts will be seen as the whipping boy for all existing and soon to be GFA officials. A hard man playing for Hearts would receive card after card. Miko isn't even a hard man and is abused weekly.

Would like to see a commanding and experienced centre half come in alongside Berra.

And a defensive midfielder Brellier style but who can also put his foot on the ball and pass it.

Both being not afraid of putting their "body on the line" so to speak.

I reckon the 1st one will be a lot easier to come by.

i think its definitely one of the things we need. Maybe Mrowiec, but who knows.

Look at someone like Pasquale at Kille, he's what they call 'an enforcer' in italy Stefano Salvatore got him over for Jim n Billy) and he's really toughened them up. He's been booked like 7 times already tho

January might be interesting. Maybe. Perhaps.

I said after the Killie game that he was exactly the type of player we need.He bossed the midfield that day.

I think old fashioned hard men are a dying breed due to the way refereeing is these days. However we clearly need more aggression in the team especially at Centre Half and central midfield. I said a couple of weeks ago that I wouldnt mind Scott Severin back as a centre half. I always thought that might be his best position long term, hes aggresive and pretty vocal which we miss. Someone like Pasquale or Black from ICT would probably give us a bit more bite in midfield.

Drylaw Hearts
Too busy im afraid, how about you?

Or do you know anyone?

I have the time but not the fitness level required to play in such a demanding role.

I think I may know a few who may be interested though.....

I'll make a couple of calls.

Archived