Andy Driver for Scotland?

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

Firstly, apologies if this has already been discussed - went back three or four pages and couldn't spot anything.

Am I right in thinking that under some "gentleman's agreement" between the Home Nations FAs it's not (currently) possible for Andy to play for Scotland?

Carl Weathers
Firstly, apologies if this has already been discussed - went back three or four pages and couldn't spot anything.

Am I right in thinking that under some "gentleman's agreement" between the Home Nations FAs it's not (currently) possible for Andy to play for Scotland?

Yes.

And rightly so, he's not Scottish.

jambos are go!

Driver came to Scotland as a Schoolboy and played at School and youth level. I think he played for Scotttish Schools. I think that qualifies him to play for Scotland even under the Home International agreement. But he currently opts for England and thats fair enough.

Driver came to Scotland as a Schoolboy and played at School and youth level. I think he played for Scotttish Schools. I think that qualifies him to play for Scotland even under the Home International agreement. But he currently opts for England and thats fair enough.

Jhudas! :P

Chad Sexington

He doesn't opt for England.

Because of the gentleman's agreement between the FA's, he's been told he has no chance of playing for Scotland.

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?
He doesn't opt for England.

Because of the gentleman's agreement between the FA's, he's been told he has no chance of playing for Scotland.

That's what I thought.

The thing is though, for who's benefit is this agreement?

I'd imagine it was originally brought in at the insistance of Scotland (and maybe Wales/NI) so as not to steal away talented players (yes, we used to have some! :P) who thought they'd have a greater chance to win silverware with England (sound familiar? :))

I think it may be time to ditch this agreement.

Home is where the heart is (ooh that sounds good - I may copyright it! :P) and if a player is eligible, and willing, to put it on the line for Scotland then that's good enough for me.

But maybe not Nacho Novo - unless he scores against England like that other "great Scot" Don Hutchison. :)

Nah mate,I sure it was the same with Giggs,played for English schools but didn't qualify for full international so stuck with Wales.

Nah mate,I sure it was the same with Giggs,played for English schools but didn't qualify for full international so stuck with Wales.

i'm sure i read that he chose to play for wales rather than england cos he wanted to, rather than any agreement?

i may be wrong though, but i remember that from somewhere in the murkiness of my memory

i'm sure i read that he chose to play for wales rather than england cos he wanted to, rather than any agreement?

i may be wrong though, but i remember that from somewhere in the murkiness of my memory

Played for England at school boy level,but because he was born in Wales(although brought mainly up in England) he had really no choice but to play for Wales,whether he wanted to or not.

Still,I'd love to see Driver in a Scotland shirt though,think he's more scottish than English.

If the EFA U-21 asked him to play for them he'd be bonkers not to IMO though.

Ryan Giggs born in Cardiff but was educated in Salford, so hence how he played for England schools. Giggs always claimed he never wanted to play for England as he is Welsh.

The Old Tolbooth

I'm sure I saw him drinking a pint of McEwans last year, that should just about qualify him in the SFA's corrupt eyes.

Yes.

And rightly so, he's not Scottish.

hold on he has been here since he was 13, he played english boys level i think and thats it,if he wants to ply for scotland then i say get him in

i wasnt born here but have been here ten years(ok my man nda are scottish) but if i were capable of actualy playing football then id like to think i could play for my adopted(and ancestral) homeland

chester copperpot
hold on he has been here since he was 13, he played english boys level i think and thats it,if he wants to ply for scotland then i say get him in

i wasnt born here but have been here ten years(ok my man nda are scottish) but if i were capable of actualy playing football then id like to think i could play for my adopted(and ancestral) homeland

I actually though he'd been here since he was 10, but may be wrong.

I'd love and have no problem with him playing for Scotland. Unless he feels English and is just using Scotland as a way to gaining some international recognition.

Considering Scotland isn't exactly blessed with left sided midfielders, I'd take him in a second.

I'd like to think I'd say that regardless of the club he played for though.

Nacho Novo can GTF though.

jambos are go!

Michael Owen was born in Wales but played for England at SchoolBoy and International level. How was this allowed if place of birth/parentage were the only criteria?

I'm pretty sure Ive read Driver has checked possible avenues to see if he was eligible to play for Scotland - all dead ends

Michael Owen was born in Wales but played for England at SchoolBoy and International level. How was this allowed if place of birth/parentage were the only criteria?

He was born in Chester, not Wales.

Giggs was born in Wales, but his dad was English, so he could have chosen to play for England. He didn't though as his folks had split up and he blamed his dad (Also why he is known by his mother's maiden name Giggs...can't remember what his father's name was, but he changes it shortly after they split)

I don't think Driver's parents were born in Scotland, so he doesn't have that choice. Normally nationality rules would apply, but as has been mentioned, the home nations have an agreement so there is no way Driver can currently play for Scotland

The whole international thing is a farce. Some seem to saying that if someone with Ronadhinio's talent, moved to Scotland aged 3months and wanted to play for us, they would refuse. That seems a bit daft to me. However in no way am I infavour of Novo playing for us. He has not stayed here long enough IMHO. As for A Driver, I personally want him fit and well in a Hearts shirt and not getting injured playing meaning less games like Argentina.

Giggs was born in Wales, but his dad was English, so he could have chosen to play for England. He didn't though as his folks had split up and he blamed his dad (Also why he is known by his mother's maiden name Giggs...can't remember what his father's name was, but he changes it shortly after they split)

I don't think Driver's parents were born in Scotland, so he doesn't have that choice. Normally nationality rules would apply, but as has been mentioned, the home nations have an agreement so there is no way Driver can currently play for Scotland

Yeah his parents and sisters moved up here when Driver got picked up by Hearts from Oldham I believe

Fact and i am sure there will be someone along the now to confirm this:

Andrew Driver was a Scotland International Schoolboy scoring a goal against England in the Victory Shield Competition 2003. As a senior player, however, Driver is only eligible to play for England and is on the fringes of Stuart Pearces England U21 squad.

portobellojambo1
He was born just outside Chester in Wales

Michael Owen was born in Chester (think the nearest hospital was there) but grew up in a place called Hawarden, a few miles outside of Chester, and just over the border in Wales.

Michael Owen was born in Chester (think the nearest hospital was there) but grew up in a place called Hawarden, a few miles outside of Chester, and just over the border in Wales.

Just read his dad's is infact English,so really no argument.

The whole reason the gentlemans agreement still stands id down to the fear that if residency was allowed ie novo or driver then it would possibly give fifa more ammo in trying to merge the home nations!

The father's name is Wilson and Giggs's change of name took place after his appearances for England Schoolboys, hence he played for them as Ryan Wilson.

I think driver would do a job for scotland if he avoids injuries but priority is he delivers for us and stays clear of injuries first.

I think if the likes of matt elliot, don hutchison, neil sullivan etc can play for scotland in my opinion Driver who has grew up here as more right to play for the nation than some who have never even visted the capital or barely been in the country.

Fact and i am sure there will be someone along the now to confirm this:

Andrew Driver was a Scotland International Schoolboy scoring a goal against England in the Victory Shield Competition 2003. As a senior player, however, Driver is only eligible to play for England and is on the fringes of Stuart Pearces England U21 squad.

Spot on - Andy has also checked out all the possible avenues regarding playing for Scotland at U/21 level as that was his preferred choice but under current rules he can't

Archived