pubs in Kirkwall to watch the celtic game?

chis101

morning all,

Im leaving for a weeks holiday to orkney today and am therefor going to miss the unwashed's visit this weekend...

long shot... but can anyone recommend a pub in kirkwall which will have the game on?

any help is appreciated...

Doctor FinnBarr
morning all,

Im leaving for a weeks holiday to orkney today and am therefor going to miss the unwashed's visit this weekend...

long shot... but can anyone recommend a pub in kirkwall which will have the game on?

Try the Torvhaug (Bridge St. I think). If not there then theres about half a dozen pubs all within a few minutes walk.

:)

chester copperpot
morning all,

2 words that should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

Doctor FinnBarr
2 words that should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

It's a brilliant place, lot's of pubs and plenty of tombs to crawl about in!

:eek:

It's a brilliant place, lot's of pubs and plenty of tombs to crawl about in!

Didn't think they had electricity there never mind TV :eek:

I was in Kirkwall two weeks ago and had a great time. I went out with my cousin ( who unfortunately is Treasurer of the local Celtic Supporters Club) and had a drink in the public bar of the Royal Hotel which is their local hangout and is usually jumping on match days so I am sure if you go in there and ask for Willie Marwick and say John sent you you will be welcomed. However you will probably be better off going to the Bothy Bar in the Albert Hotel which is much nicer and I know a couple of Jambos drink there. Forget the Torvhaug as it has just been done up and looks too much like a poncy wine bar for my liking, looked in when I was there but didn't bother to stay. Across the road from the Torvhaug is The Georgian but it's a bit off a dump.

Anyway Orkney is a fabulous place(I come from there so I am probably a wee bit biased) and i am sure you will enjoy it. To sum it up try the Bothy Bar.

Doctor FinnBarr
I was in Kirkwall two weeks ago and had a great time. I went out with my cousin ( who unfortunately is Treasurer of the local Celtic Supporters Club) and had a drink in the public bar of the Royal Hotel which is their local hangout and is usually jumping on match days so I am sure if you go in there and ask for Willie Marwick and say John sent you you will be welcomed. However you will probably be better off going to the Bothy Bar in the Albert Hotel which is much nicer and I know a couple of Jambos drink there. Forget the Torvhaug as it has just been done up and looks too much like a poncy wine bar for my liking, looked in when I was there but didn't bother to stay. Across the road from the Torvhaug is The Georgian but it's a bit off a dump.

Anyway Orkney is a fabulous place(I come from there so I am probably a wee bit biased) and i am sure you will enjoy it. To sum it up try the Bothy Bar.

The pub with no windows, done up, disaster!

The pub with no windows, done up, disaster!

Have to say it is a disaster. Used to love this pub and visited it every time I was up.

There again you may have had your tongue very firmly wedged in your cheek.

The Shore is an excellent place to watch it as well - avoid the Royal ( aka the Orkney Hotel)

Sorry Corstojohn - I hadn't seen your bit - obviously if you ask for somebody you will be OK but it's not best to walk into with a Hearts scarf - even though I do go there regularly myself

Doctor FinnBarr
Have to say it is a disaster. Used to love this pub and visited it every time I was up.

There again you may have had your tongue very firmly wedged in your cheek.

No way, it was my 1st stop anytime I was in Kirkwall. It was strange to walk in and be blind for a minute or so cos of the lack of natural light! Great jukey.

The royal hotel is where the Celtic supporters club meet (and Hearst supporters club used to), it's on Victoria St

Walk to the end of broad St and keep going. Say Hi to Ricky Groundwater from me.

Alternately get a bus to Stromness and watch it if the Ferry Inn, much better class of person in Stromness.

Doctor FinnBarr
The royal hotel is where the Celtic supporters club meet (and Hearst supporters club used to), it's on Victoria St

Walk to the end of broad St and keep going. Say Hi to Ricky Groundwater from me.

Alternately get a bus to Stromness and watch it if the Ferry Inn, much better class of person in Stromness.

I do believe that I've been drunk in there!

I do believe that I've been drunk in there!

Difficult not to be!

The Flattie used to be the best pub in Stromness, but it appears to have gone downhill in the last couple of years.

Probably due to me leaving Orkney!

Doctor FinnBarr
Difficult not to be!

The Flattie used to be the best pub in Stromness, but it appears to have gone downhill in the last couple of years.

Probably due to me leaving Orkney!

I was awake tho, plenty of "sleepers" in there on a Saturday afternoon!

I was awake tho, plenty of "sleepers" in there on a Saturday afternoon!

I can probably guess who they were, and the pub is a nicer place when they're asleep.

Doctor FinnBarr
I can probably guess who they were, and the pub is a nicer place when they're asleep.

Make my day and tell me you know Willie Worm!

I was in the Ferry Inn when I was last up . Found it to be a bit off a hole to be honest and full off divers. When I was up two weeks ago I stayed in the Sands Hotel in Burray and drank in their bar at night and found it very pleasant(the food in the restaurant is excellent) but it is closed between 2.30 and 5.00. although I dont know about weekends.

Doctor FinnBarr
I was in the Ferry Inn when I was last up . Found it to be a bit off a hole to be honest and full off divers. When I was up two weeks ago I stayed in the Sands Hotel in Burray and drank in their bar at night and found it very pleasant(the food in the restaurant is excellent) but it is closed between 2.30 and 5.00. although I dont know about weekends.

You should try the Barony near Birsay, the upstairs function room floor bounces so much when you dance they closed the pool table incase everyone landed on it!

Is the Torvhaugh not where all the "cool" folk go. I was in there one Thursday night andit was bouncy.

Pretty sure I was sitting next to Chris Moyles at the bar too.

The pub attached to the Kirkwall Hotel will probably be showing it??? I seem to remember watching a Euro game in there once too

The cool folk are in Stromness, FACT!

Willie worm?

he's not a Stromness man, at least there is nobody in Stromness known to Stromnasians by that name.

Aye, and the Ferry in is often full of divers, but they tend to overestimate their abilities and underestimate the dangers of diving in Orkney water, get the bends and die the next day so they're never in twice.

boooo to kirkwall!

Doctor FinnBarr
The cool folk are in Stromness, FACT!

Willie worm?

he's not a Stromness man, at least there is nobody in Stromness known to Stromnasians by that name.

Aye, and the Ferry in is often full of divers, but they tend to overestimate their abilities and underestimate the dangers of diving in Orkney water, get the bends and die the next day so they're never in twice.

boooo to kirkwall!

He's from Orkney but lives in Dunbeath now!

What happened to the Orkney hearts supporters club?? Not the premises,the group?

I don't know, Spanner (works for the council) used to run it I think, but I have no idea if it is still on the go. I never bothered with it since they met in Kirkwall on a tuesday (or something like that). There were only 3 Hearts supporters in Stromness so we didn't have a club:sad:

Archived