blue nose wants a winter shut down

sinbad

This from the guy complaining about fixture congestion, bearing in mind he asked for a postponment in the first place. How does this fud think he'll squeeze all his game in with 3 weeks less. Then again it's not every season they are in europe after santa visits.

This from the guy complaining about fixture congestion, bearing in mind he asked for a postponment in the first place. How does this fud think he'll squeeze all his game in with 3 weeks less. Then again it's not every season they are in europe after santa visits.

Oh it will probably happen then i mean if Rangers want then Rangers must have and with that idiot Smith in charge he is bound to just do what the other Smith wants.

They'll probably just cancel the outstanding games then award the points to the OF, hell if the SFA could do that with all the OF games they probably would.

skotskosparta

Stupid idea in Scotland where the weather is consistently bad during the months of Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb and March so do he want summer football.

I remember the winter break that last time, glorious weather around Scotland and then the football came back and postponements all over the place.

STUPID IDEA.

Oh it will probably happen then i mean if Rangers want then Rangers must have and with that idiot Smith in charge he is bound to just do what the other Smith wants.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1YourView&xml=/sport/2008/01/15/sfnsco115.xml

SPL rebuff Gordon Smith's winter break plea - Football News - Telegraph

Smith is't in charge of the SPL, it appears to have been knocked back.

Seymour M Hersh

Unless it's for the purpose of giving players a mid season break what month would you nominate? As the hobo said it can be rotten in any given month from November onwards. Pressure showing uncle walter!!

They'll probably just cancel the outstanding games then award the points to the OF, hell if the SFA could do that with all the OF games they probably would.

With G Smith in charge, they've just about had a winter shutdown. The SFA appoint Glasgow refs to OF games so there's no need to cancel the games and award them the points.

Billy the Jambo

A winter break is a great idea in fact i think football should be played in ithe summer .Start the season in April and finish it in December .You would get more fans going to games ,better pitches and probably better football being played though in our case i am not so sure.oh and of course we would get better weather and we would not be freezing our bits off watching the pile of merde we have been this season

skotskosparta
A winter break is a great idea in fact i think football should be played in ithe summer .Start the season in April and finish it in December .You would get more fans going to games ,better pitches and probably better football being played though in our case i am not so sure.oh and of course we would get better weather and we would not be freezing our bits off watching the pile of merde we have been this season

So what happened every other year when the world Cup and Euro Championships come around?

Nice idea, but not feasible.

So what happened every other year when the world Cup and Euro Championships come around?

Nice idea, but not feasible.

Technically we haven't qualified for either for quite some time, so there shouldn't be a problem!

skotskosparta
Technically we haven't qualified for either for quite some time, so there shouldn't be a problem!

What about the other players that play in our league that do qualify regular?

Yeh, lets get out of sync with the rest of Europe, indeed the rest of the world...what a great idea!!!

You don't happen to have a position with the SFA do you?

I have sympathy for both Rangers and Celtic for having their games cancelled ahead of the Italy game. In the end, it didn't give us an advantage. In recent years as many Rangers/our players get injured in training than playing games but:-

Rnagers cancelled a game against Gretna, AND despite all their apparent wealth (ok turnover) they couldn't keep their pitch from being waterlogged (again).

Will someone in the press ever have the hee-haws to put them straight.

Go on Chick - you know it's in you.

But we would not be out of synch with the rest of Europe would we? I am pretty sure some countries shut down, especially Scandinavian ones, for a winter break. Football should be a summer sport, end of story. I hate wearing big thick trousers and coats and boots and things to sit and watch a game. I want my mini skirt and boob tube and sandals, twirling my scarf roond ma heid.

But we would not be out of synch with the rest of Europe would we? I am pretty sure some countries shut down, especially Scandinavian ones, for a winter break. Football should be a summer sport, end of story. I hate wearing big thick trousers and coats and boots and things to sit and watch a game. I want my mini skirt and boob tube and sandals, twirling my scarf roond ma heid.

You've convinced me.:P

I think it makes sense to have a winter break:

(1)The players would get a rest to get over niggly injuries - Better for the smaller clubs with smaller squads. Can only be a good thing for the League's entertainment value and Competitiveness.

(2) It would give a chance for the surfaces at stadiums to get a rest. Yes we know that any month can be bad, but a full month off in the middle of the season can only improve things.

(3) It would give the fans a break after spending a lot over the festive period. It would also act as a little booster to excitement levels of getting back to the games after a month 'off'.

I think the answer would be to scrap or modify the CIS cup. But that of course has all sort of conotations.

loveofthegame

It was such a ridiculous failure last time i cannot fathom why they'd reintroduce it(other than the fact the currant buns want it back.... so its no doubt about to be announced)

Reasons:

1)The weather in Scotland between Nov and March is incredibly unpredictable. You can get a great De/Jan one year, followed by monsoon storms and snow the next. Judging when to have it is near impossible.

2) Players go off and enjoy themselves too much, coming back unfit, not match sharp and generally not right. The 1st game back is then the 3rd round of the Scottish cup(now known as the 4th) and players arent close to being up to scratch. Pretty sure this cost us once or even twice in the couple of yrs that we had the shutdown

3) When the shutdown was called for ONE game had been cancelled, Rangers v St Mirren. That is ONE game. Jeez i'd say for the months of Nov, Dec and start of Jan thats a pretty good record. I realise quite a few Scottish Cup ties were affected at the w/e but thats largely down to the fact most of them were to be held at ill-equipped lower division grounds. Not reason enough for a winter shutdown.

Smith and Rangers knew fine well when they agreed to cancel their match before Scotland-Italy then crazily asked for the game before Lyon to be postponed that they'd have a fixture backlog. They've made there bed and imo now have to lie in it. **** them.

Oh and for what its worth i love football over the Christmas/New Yr period. What else is there to look forward to on a cold, minging Saturday

Archived