Electoral college puzzle

Ulysses

Here's a little arithmetic puzzle I read today and adapted slightly for the board.

The tiny country of USK (United States of Kickback) has a population of 169 citizens, divided into 13 states of 13 citizens each. Every so often, the citizens vote between two candidates for president. First, each citizen votes for a candidate. Then, whichever candidate gets more votes in a state gets one electoral college vote for that state. The candidate who gets more college votes wins the election and becomes president. Therefore to win the election, a candidate has to get at least 7 electoral college votes.

Because of the electoral college system, it is possible for a candidate to win the popular vote nationwide and still lose the election. What is the largest number of votes a candidate can receive nationwide and still lose?

Here's a little arithmetic puzzle I read today and adapted slightly for the board.

The tiny country of USK (United States of Kickback) has a population of 169 citizens, divided into 13 states of 13 citizens each. Every so often, the citizens vote between two candidates for president. First, each citizen votes for a candidate. Then, whichever candidate gets more votes in a state gets one electoral college vote for that state. The candidate who gets more college votes wins the election and becomes president. Therefore to win the election, a candidate has to get at least 7 electoral college votes.

Because of the electoral college system, it is possible for a candidate to win the popular vote nationwide and still lose the election. What is the largest number of votes a candidate can receive nationwide and still lose?

120, I think.

Off the top of my head, I'd say 120...but that seems too simple, so perhaps I am missing something.

Jaysus, that was too easy. :biggrin:

Here's a couple of adaptations to make things slightly more complicated - though I've no doubt that the numerate quick thinkers will spot these quickly.

In the real presidential election in the USA, the electoral college has 538 votes distributed across 51 "states" (50 states plus the District of Columbia). No state has less than 3 votes.

What is the largest number of states a candidate can win but still lose the electoral college vote (i.e. fail to score 270)?

What is the largest number of states and the largest number of electoral college votes a candidate can win while still losing the nationwide popular vote?

Jaysus, that was too easy. :biggrin:

Here's a couple of adaptations to make things slightly more complicated - though I've no doubt that the numerate quick thinkers will spot these quickly.

In the real presidential election in the USA, the electoral college has 538 votes distributed across 51 "states" (50 states plus the District of Columbia). No state has less than 3 votes.

What is the largest number of states a candidate can win but still lose the electoral college vote (i.e. fail to score 270)?

What is the largest number of states and the largest number of electoral college votes a candidate can win while still losing the nationwide popular vote?

Answer to your first question: 40 states, I think.

And to your second: 50 states and 535 votes?

Answer to your first question: 40 states, I think.

And to your second: 50 states and 535 votes?

18 minutes - at least it lasted longer without being answered than the first question. :eek:

18 minutes - at least it lasted longer without being answered than the first question. :eek:

I rock. :biggrin:

(Either that, or I'm very, very sad).

Archived