Common Workplace Things/People

3inaBednar

Pretty much what i was going to say.

I've encountered a few complete a-holes who give it the whole "university of life and some practical experience is all that counts" pish.

Bit of a tricky one this tbh because there are valid points on both sides but I would rather have a grafter with experience than a know all with a degree that's not even relevant to the job! And before anyone starts i'm not tarring everyone with the same brush, there is a student that works beside us and he is good to have around, works hard and is actually doing a relevant degree!

Bit of a tricky one this tbh because there are valid points on both sides but I would rather have a grafter with experience than a know all with a degree that's not even relevant to the job! And before anyone starts i'm not tarring everyone with the same brush, there is a student that works beside us and he is good to have around, works hard and is actually doing a relevant degree!

A degree should show (if relevant to the job or not) that the candidate has the intelligence to fulfill a task to a certain standard and can work hard when he needs to (despite a lot of boozing in 1st and 2nd year I am learning to knuckle down and do some work in 3rd year)

I actually agree in that if I went to uni and had not got into honours and come out with a general degree - I would consider it a waste of time as I could have been getting practical experience for 3 years. However a masters or a Ba with honours is a slightly different story.

Anyway this is not really the argument we were trying to address.

It is people who are in the workplace and they hold it against you because you went to University. Whether you are a good worker or not they simply wont like you and constantly tell you that you are a 'tax dodging, soap dodging slacker' because they have a serious chip on their shoulder about something (perhaps they did not get the oppertunity to go to uni even when they wanted to)

While I agree that it would be un-acceptable for a University graduate to think they were superior to someone because of their degree, and I am not saying this does not happen, however I would say it is more common for graduates to be victimised by non-graduates in the work place, particularly if the graduate job is on the same pay/level as someone who had been there for a few years.

See my rant from the 'Who is the biggest idiot you know' thread:

Remember when you were at school ....... .. etc etc etc!!!

Nice post.. I worked for Scottish Widows and it was like that for a time.. I lasted 8 months...... My boss was a 20 year old girl who had left school at 16 and just managed to get promoted as she turned up on time. She was hot though but really stupid! ... Anyway..

GET OUT.,...... DON'T DO IT!

I am now a self employed sales agent who starts and finishes work when I want. Take lunch when I want go on Holiday when I want... etc etc etc...

I could never and will never work in an office again.......

Sawdust Caesar
A degree should show (if relevant to the job or not) that the candidate has the intelligence to fulfill a task to a certain standard and can work hard when he needs to (despite a lot of boozing in 1st and 2nd year I am learning to knuckle down and do some work in 3rd year)

I actually agree in that if I went to uni and had not got into honours and come out with a general degree - I would consider it a waste of time as I could have been getting practical experience for 3 years. However a masters or a Ba with honours is a slightly different story.

Anyway this is not really the argument we were trying to address.

It is people who are in the workplace and they hold it against you because you went to University. Whether you are a good worker or not they simply wont like you and constantly tell you that you are a 'tax dodging, soap dodging slacker' because they have a serious chip on their shoulder about something (perhaps they did not get the oppertunity to go to uni even when they wanted to)

While I agree that it would be un-acceptable for a University graduate to think they were superior to someone because of their degree, and I am not saying this does not happen, however I would say it is more common for graduates to be victimised by non-graduates in the work place, particularly if the graduate job is on the same pay/level as someone who had been there for a few years.

I have nothing against Uni graduates, but I do have a problem with the ones who act all superior as was the case with my colleague.I'm sorry but getting a third in history and PE doesn't impress me and certainly doesn't make me feel inferior to that specific person.

Nice post.. I worked for Scottish Widows and it was like that for a time.. I lasted 8 months...... My boss was a 20 year old girl who had left school at 16 and just managed to get promoted as she turned up on time. She was hot though but really stupid! ... Anyway..

GET OUT.,...... DON'T DO IT!

I am now a self employed sales agent who starts and finishes work when I want. Take lunch when I want go on Holiday when I want... etc etc etc...

I could never and will never work in an office again.......

Any details? :P

Sawdust Caesar
People who have a chip on their shoulder about University graduates.

Its not always about the degree its about the skills you learn/develop while doing it.

No chip on my shoulder, I just don't like working with arrogant people who think they are superior because they went to Uni. I had a p/t bar job that was mostly students, the majority of them were sound but there were a small number who thought they were better than the rest of us mere mortals and they weren't slow in letting us know. And they tended to be the ones with no common sense.

Probably I should have made that clear in my initial post.

Archived