John Millar

Doogle98

Late runs into the box - and GOALS!

How we miss a player of that mould now , a Millar , Hartley or Cameron :sad:

We_are_the_Hearts

Has to be his goal at Parkhead to put us 2-0 up. It came a minute after Crabbo had curled in a peach to put us 1-0 up. That was back in the day where we regularly took about 5,000 through there. Jam-packed end went mental at both goals. My mate lost his trainer at Millar's goal but amazingly he found it about 20 minutes later due to the sways!!

Johanes de Silentio

His double-bullet against Dundee Untied in the cup - oh, and those legendary appearances as P.C. Loxton on 'The Bill'!

He scored a few against the Hobos as well, I remember one New Year game that had to be re-arranged 2 or 3 times because of call offs. Bullet header at the shed end with about 15 to go, kept the unbeaten run going as it was an equaliser, think it was game number 19 or something. Also scored a raker against them at Tynie one Wednesday night to wrap up a 2-0 win! He scored a few vital goals and I always thought a bit under rated.

Has to be his goal at Parkhead to put us 2-0 up. It came a minute after Crabbo had curled in a peach to put us 1-0 up. That was back in the day where we regularly took about 5,000 through there. Jam-packed end went mental at both goals. My mate lost his trainer at Millar's goal but amazingly he found it about 20 minutes later due to the sways!!

What a day that was.... I remember just getting my breath back from celebrating the first when the second went in.. mental!!!

One of the few times I've went to a game thru in the weeg - IIRC Crabbe got booked for jumping over the advertising boards......

That was back when you needed binoculars to see the goal at the far end!!!!

jambos are go!

A bit of a rosy picture given Millar was given a lot of Lithuanian type abuse in his career with Hearts. I agree with the rosy picture - underated.

Fort Vallance

Just goes to show how hard up we are currently for heroes.

No argument with his commitment but he was very, very, very average.

Goldstone Wonder
Has to be his goal at Parkhead to put us 2-0 up. It came a minute after Crabbo had curled in a peach to put us 1-0 up.

Is the correct answer.

This was debated at length about 3-4 months ago. Never utter his name in context with two Scottish Cup Winning Legends. At best Millar was a decent journeyman pro.

This was debated at length about 3-4 months ago. Never utter his name in context with two Scottish Cup Winning Legends. At best Millar was a decent journeyman pro.

Iwould say by todays standards he was a bit more than decent.

He was the club's 2nd top goal scorer in 94/95 with nine goals and scored 25 for Hearts overall.

A commited player but never a great one.

His goalscoring was better than his general play.

Buffalo Bill

Drylaw Hearts
Just goes to show how hard up we are currently for heroes.

No argument with his commitment but he was very, very, very average.

He was an average player on a good day.

He was the club's 2nd top goal scorer in 94/95 with nine goals and scored 25 for Hearts overall.

A commited player but never a great one.

His goalscoring was better than his general play.

Buffalo Bill

Spot on IMO - he was always a favourite of mine because of his commitment and the goal threat he gave from midfield. I was a little dissapointed that he left in the Mickey deal but that disappointment was outwieghed by the fact that Mickey was clearly the real deal and was going to bring so much more to the team.

Guest jambomickey

who was the hobo player that he went up for a header with and burst his face open with his elbow? that was one of my favourite john millar moments

Spot on IMO - he was always a favourite of mine because of his commitment and the goal threat he gave from midfield. I was a little dissapointed that he left in the Mickey deal but that disappointment was outwieghed by the fact that Mickey was clearly the real deal and was going to bring so much more to the team.

John Millar plus cash swap for Mickey Cameron must be one of Hearts best ever transfer deals.

But the absolute best ever (outside of CG!) was JJ managing to convince John Lambie that he should swap Stevie Fulton for David Hagen!!! :eek: Daylight robbery!

jambos are go!
He scored a few against the Hobos as well, I remember one New Year game that had to be re-arranged 2 or 3 times because of call offs. Bullet header at the shed end with about 15 to go, kept the unbeaten run going as it was an equaliser, think it was game number 19 or something. Also scored a raker against them at Tynie one Wednesday night to wrap up a 2-0 win! He scored a few vital goals and I always thought a bit under rated.

IIRC the goal in the rearranged Derby match was a pivitol moment since we were in real relegation trouble at the time and used that result as a springboard to safety.

Johanes de Silentio
who was the hobo player that he went up for a header with and burst his face open with his elbow? that was one of my favourite john millar moments

Kevin McAllister - get it right up you, Crunchy!

Guest jambomickey
Kevin McAllister - get it right up you, Crunchy!

that's the one mate! he really bust his face up with it, fantastic john millar

Charlie-Brown
John Millar plus cash swap for Mickey Cameron must be one of Hearts best ever transfer deals.

But the absolute best ever (outside of CG!) was JJ managing to convince John Lambie that he should swap Stevie Fulton for David Hagen!!! :eek: Daylight robbery!

?550K for Mike Galloway who'd cost ?60K from Halifax was also tremendous business for Hearts.

John Millar was a proper 100% effort player who chipped in with a few goals. Never a wage thief, thus making him better than at least 75% of the current playing staff.

My Falkirk supporting workmate STILL goes mental about that deal. I think we also managed to con them into taking Craig Nelson, Brian Hamilton and a well past it Neil Berry in part exchange for Davie Weir. If I was a Falkirk fan I'd hate us. At least Raith got a half decent player with a couple of years left in him!

and he blew a kiss to his mates in the Jungle:eek::P

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

I seem to recall Millar got absolute pelters when he first signed. Then a goal through at Brockville seemed to get everyone on his side. Easily the only decent player Jordan ever bestowed upon us (Gary Williams anyone?) and seemed to get better the longer he stayed. Not saying he was a world beater but he was a stand out player at a time of constant mediocrity. Not all that disimilair to Michael Stewart as a player when you think about it.

One of my fav Hearts players , great attacking midfielder.

Goal at Parkhead , when him and Crabbe scored is a game up there in my top ten...:)

Average, as far as I'm concerned, but with the knack of scoring in big games (which I'd happily settle for at the moment) and as has already been mentioned, always gave his all.

Let's also not forget that after he left us he scored the winning goal for Raith in a Scottish Cup tie against the Hobos, at Fester Road!! Ha!

Maybe he's a legend after all!!!

Millar was a good solid pro, similar to Neil McFarlane but Millar could score. We could do with a couple more solid pros at the moment.

?550K for Mike Galloway who'd cost ?60K from Halifax was also tremendous business for Hearts.

Decent player for us, especially in that European run, and a good bit of financial business.

But you can't equate that with the way that we brought in 2 of Hearts best ever players - Mickey and Baggio, Scottish Cup Heroes and Hearts Legends - in exchange for John Millar and David Hagen!

Yup , that about covers John Millar .

Perhaps it sums up the current midfield when John Millar stands out ( to me ) as a player I would like to have now , nowhere near as good as Cameron or Hartley granted but a solid performer that you knew you would get 100% from - would love a player like him right now , ahead of Kingston or Stewart and position aside ahead of Miko and Ches .

Perhaps that player is Bruno ? Not as good as PH/CC but a grafter with a knack for a goal ? Time will tell :)

But you can't equate that with the way that we brought in 2 of Hearts best ever players - Mickey and Baggio, Scottish Cup Heroes and Hearts Legends - in exchange for John Millar and David Hagen![/QUOTE]

Cant argue with that considering Millar was entering his later years and Hagen was ..................well Hagen , and in return we got 2 younger and far superior players .

Would Baggio or Mickey in their prime walk into our midfield now ......hell yeah . Good Business .:cool:

Archived