Travel Issues Help

Cigaro

I'm considering doing my final year project on the subject of travel, most probably air travel.

What are your main issues with travel in general, and also air travel?

I dont mean stuff like delays etc, but like controlling/occupying kids, accessibility, space, baggage quantity, and anything else during the whole process from check in to arrival (assuming air travel).

I have been toying with the idea today of vacuum pack luggage to reduce unecessary volume and bulk.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

We're (my company) are looking at working with a certain Edinburgh tour operator at present on a similar subject.

Air travel is getting so much stick at present for carbon emissions as you can imagine, so just about every airline is looking at how they can reduce the weight of their aircraft, thus using less fuel.

A quick google will reveal certain measures from things like removing the spirits minatures on short haul (hardly anyone buys them), looking at carbon/plastic trolleys, carrying less water for toilets/sinks to removing inflight magazines on long haul flights.

Anything that can reduce an airlines weight is so on target at the moment.

I've got some stuff at work I can email you.

I'm considering doing my final year project on the subject of travel, most probably air travel.

What are your main issues with travel in general, and also air travel?

I dont mean stuff like delays etc, but like controlling/occupying kids, accessibility, space, baggage quantity, and anything else during the whole process from check in to arrival (assuming air travel).

I have been toying with the idea today of vacuum pack luggage to reduce unecessary volume and bulk.

I don't know if this counts, but my gripe is the budget airlines and their hidden costs.

Ryanair are the worst, closely followed by easyJet.

My and my girlfriend decided to go to Paris for New Year after spotting an ad for Ryanair advertising flights at ?49 each way. However, by the time we added on the extras:

1 piece hold luggae ?24 x 2 (there and back)

2 people checking in at airport at ?6 each total ?12 x 2 (there and back. Must check in at airport due to baggae)

?16 fee because we paid the fare by credit card.

We were looking at a return fare that works out at closer to ?140 each.

Not to mention the additional cost/time/hassle of travelling to/from Prestwick for flight (as opposed to more accessible Glasgow or Edinburgh airport) and the same at the Paris end (I believe that Ryanairs airport is about 80km from Paris). And the fact if we want a drink/snack on the flight this will also cost us.

Suddenly the fare of ?189 offered by Air France direct from Edinburgh to Charles de Gualle on a more comfortable less crowded plane with complimentary inflight service looks far better value for money.

There is very little difference in fares between the budget carriers and the 'normal' airlines on direct routes now. It borders on false advertising as far as I'm concerened.

One thing that has started to bug me is that some of the budget airlines now seem to be only operating 1-2 check in desks which are open for all flights.

Was far easier when they had 4-5 desks open and were only checking in the next 4-5 flights to depart!

Now there just seems to be one huge queue and on a recent holiday to spain in both directions an easyjet rep had to walk up and down the queue shouting out that anyone flying to malaga was to go to the 3rd check in desk that they had just opened (because there must have been 30-40 people waiting and the check-in was about to close)!!

My main gripe with air travel is in the weight of baggage and whats allowed / not allowed.

Why should someone who weighs 120kg be allowed the same 15kg baggage allowance (i.e total weight of passenger and luggage = 135kg) as a person weighing 70 kg (i.e total weight of passenger and luggage = 85kg)....?

If weight is so crucial in air travel, then the allowances should be based on the wiehgt of the passenger + the weight of the baggage.

I do a fair amount of flying and I have to say my biggest gripe is the person in the seat in front being able to press the little button on their armrest and recline their chair. I'm 6'1 and have relatively longish legs and when the chair in front goes back I pretty much get crushed.

If they just removed the button and kept everybody the same I think it would be a much fairer situation. People may say "well you could recline your chair as well" but that doesn't really sort out the leg room situation and it just squashes the person behind me.

Bottom line - be fair, don't recline your chair! (I just made that up but it's awesome) :)

Archived