Long Bangers

i8hibsh

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
tic-tac - the proper way to chose teams

I hated tic-tac because folk started adding all these pish moves that were basically cheating and resulted in them winning the first pick.

I don't remember playing Long Banger, Long Bangie I do though.... :)

We played it up at the West Calder astro-turf with one of your mates, you had to stand a certain distance off your goal line to give the kicker a chance.

ach, ah must be getting old - astro turf wisnae invented when ah played it :mad:

I hated tic-tac because folk started adding all these pish moves that were basically cheating and resulted in them winning the first pick.

Hence the cry "Nae funnies!"

Christ i remember this! turning there foot side ways and all that pish.

Best football game has to be wally. basically kick the ball against the wall until some one misses and there out!

Brilliant thread

Christ i remember this! turning there foot side ways and all that pish.

Best football game has to be wally. basically kick the ball against the wall until some one misses and there out!

Brilliant thread

That was shapes mate!

Perth to Paisley

best give credit to the author of the long email

Jumpers for Goalposts - Christopher Brookmyre

An example of his quality prose.

Toxteth O'Grady
Shapes.

Good post Peanut, shapes was a far more better game, the ability to blooter the ball against a wall as hard as possible or making contact with the wall from ridiculous angles often with obsticles such as cars in the way was a true game of skill

Charlie-Brown

Some "games" of no-rules british bulldog in the playground when we were kids really were x-rated stuff .... parents today would be horrified to think that their kids might be subjected to that kind of thuggery in a school playground.....maybe our parents would have been horrified too altho we never let that thought stop us..... :rolleyes:

Good post Peanut, shapes was a far more better game, the ability to blooter the ball against a wall as hard as possible or making contact with the wall from ridiculous angles often with obsticles such as cars in the way was a true game of skill

Could never let the ball stop rolling either.

Malcolm Tucker
Cuppie Doubles

Aye, cuppie and cuppie doubles was exactly what me and my mates called it as well. Great game unless your talented mates were playing....

....I was once played against Calum Elliot. :cool: I'm such a ruddy name-dropper.

Wally was good an' all. Smack a ball against the wall first time. If you missed the wall/took 2 touches you were out.

Always enjoyed indoor football in the gym when you used upturned wooden benches as improvised goals. Playing a wall-pass off the climbing bars before deftly side-footing a winner from anywhere inside the spaghetti of volleyball/badminton/basketball lines gave me a sense of well-being. I can almost hear the distant sound of squeaking gutties on linoleum.

CornhillHearts
Hence the cry "Nae funnies!"

Funnies IIRC included lamposts: which was when one of the tic-tackers would fall forward in an attempt to touch the other tick-tackers trainer thus giving him first pick.

Or spitting towards the other tick-tackers trainer with a well placed gobbin'. Seen many a scrap ensue when said gobbin' wasn't too well placed.

Aye, cuppie and cuppie doubles was exactly what me and my mates called it as well. Great game unless your talented mates were playing....

....I was once played against Calum Elliot. :cool: I'm such a ruddy name-dropper.

Wally was good an' all. Smack a ball against the wall first time. If you missed the wall/took 2 touches you were out.

I bet you won.

We tended to be pretty evenly matched. Most of us are moderate players in comparison with one another. One or two who were murder at it though.

I never played against Calum Elliot, but I was ok at cuppie, so I'd have fancied my chances.

Im talking in the past tense here, I'll probably be playing it again in the summer:laugh:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Some "games" of no-rules british bulldog in the playground when we were kids really were x-rated stuff .... parents today would be horrified to think that their kids might be subjected to that kind of thuggery in a school playground.....maybe our parents would have been horrified too altho we never let that thought stop us..... :rolleyes:

I bet folk that greet about people swearing or standing up at games never got a game of sting when they were younger. ;)

These mental games are an integrial part of growing up. If I never got a battering in hunt the ^^^^ I wouldn't be the man I am today!

Say What Again
These mental games are an integrial part of growing up. If I never got a battering in hunt the ^^^^ I wouldn't be the man I am today!

Probably the finest named school game of them all.

Unless of course, like a boy in my school, your surname was Hunt. He took more than his fair share of doings from packs of folk all chanting 'Hunt the C***' as they laid into him.

Archived