Patrick Collins in the Mail on Sunday

Martin_T

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/article-1080615/Lets-hear-real-dreamers-like-Hull.html

I'm not normally a fan of Collins' column, but a part of it today caught my eye regarding Hull City:

And yet, on a cold, rain-lashed evening, 150 people gathered at a city centre hotel to see if the club might dare to dream of a viable future.

Angie had called the meeting to form the 'Tigers Co-operative Trust Fund' with the aim of issuing shares, raising money and giving the fans an independent voice. She spoke with quiet eloquence.

'We don't want pitch invasions, poster campaigns, hate mail, anything like that,' she said. 'But there comes a point when you can't carry on saying: "I can't do anything about it." We can all do something if we try.'

I well remember the impressive dignity of the occasion. I remember the applause for a large, shaven-headed gentleman when he announced: 'My family's already decided to chip in ?2.50 a week for 10 months. My mother's agreed, my sister's agreed. And they don't even like football!'

Above all, I remember the defiant intensity of their belief that Hull City Football Club would one day achieve something wonderful.

Has something like this ever seriously been attempted at HMFC? There always seems to be an assumption that we as a group of supporters would have to instantly raise a large capital sum in order influence in the running of the club, at the time of the sale of Tynecastle that was probably true.

But how about building up a large sum, independently administered over a longer period of time? If 2000 fans had committed to adding say an average (some could afford much more some much less, I'll hazard a guess and say a fair chunk of us spend more than that on alchohol over half a month) of ?50 a month since 2004, with added interest etc we'd currently be looking at a fund worth circa ?5 million. Now it's perhaps fanciful to say the least to say that amount would be able to buy the club, but it would give such a group a real fighting fund if the future of the club geniuinely was being compromised.

Guest Fabuloso
http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/article-1080615/Lets-hear-real-dreamers-like-Hull.html

I'm not normally a fan of Collins' column, but a part of it today caught my eye regarding Hull City:

Has something like this ever seriously been attempted at HMFC? There always seems to be an assumption that we as a group of supporters would have to instantly raise a large capital sum in order influence in the running of the club, at the time of the sale of Tynecastle that was probably true.

But how about building up a large sum, independently administered over a longer period of time? If 2000 fans had committed to adding say an average (some could afford much more some much less, I'll hazard a guess and say a fair chunk of us spend more than that on alchohol over half a month) of ?50 a month since 2004, with added interest etc we'd currently be looking at a fund worth circa ?5 million. Now it's perhaps fanciful to say the least to say that amount would be able to buy the club, but it would give such a group a real fighting fund if the future of the club geniuinely was being compromised.

Intersting article however different situation to us. Perhaps a wake-up call to the "there's nothing we can do about it brigade"? Probably not unfortunately.

Thunderstruck

It would be a start and only that. Serious money is required to get and retain the quality of players that would make a difference and, let's be honest, meet the aspirations of most Hearts fans.

As an aside, the next time wee Strachan or the Scottish media moan that our best can't compete with the best that the EPL can offer, refer them to Hull City. This is a club that has proved that with team-work, commitment and good management it is possible to compete in "the most competitive league in the world".

lost in leith

The problem here is that the Supporters Trust is the vehicle for this kind of fund raising, and they are a waste of space. This quote from the 'News and Events' section of their website speaks volumes.

"The inaugural Heart of Midlothian Hall of Fame evening will be held on Thursday November 9th 2006 at Prestonfield."

I'm still waiting for the share certificate that they said would be issued by the end of September.........

The problem here is that the Supporters Trust is the vehicle for this kind of fund raising, and they are a waste of space. This quote from the 'News and Events' section of their website speaks volumes.

"The inaugural Heart of Midlothian Hall of Fame evening will be held on Thursday November 9th 2006 at Prestonfield."

I'm still waiting for the share certificate that they said would be issued by the end of September.........

stand up and make difference then rather than sniping form the sidelines

lost in leith
stand up and make difference then rather than sniping form the sidelines

The Trust have really made a difference, haven't they? Waste of ?500 that was. According to their website the committee haven't met for over a year :eek:

Been living down in Hull for a year or so now. Thing that always gets me, is that although Hull is predominantly a rugby city (with both FC and KR both in Superleague) the football team has a massive community spirit going on. Everyday I walk down the street there is some reference to what they're doing in the place.

Kinda like what we've been trying to do the last season or so, just need to get our act together on the pitch.

PS: the deluded fools seem to think Dean Windass is some sort of local hero down here, got to a few games at the KC stadium last season and reminded him of his time with the sheep-worriers with some choise abuse :cool: :cool:

The Trust have really made a difference, haven't they? Waste of ?500 that was. According to their website the committee haven't met for over a year :eek:

Is the trust even still active at all then? Does anyone know?

Archived