Hearts' attempts to sign Pele

bigis semiauskas

bigis semiauskas

Right,fed up hearing this story from the same person,

that we tried to sign him when he was only 17 but didnt want to leave for a foreign country at such a young age,may have been in the old Pink News.

Cant remember the Members username but he seems to be a fountain of knowledge and comes with old newspaper clips,could you settle this please whoever you are.

Just thought!maybe they had transfer windows back then and we also tried to sign Banks,Charlton,Moore

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
What the feck are you on:rolleyes:

I'd like some of it.

Already had two tinnies of Murphy's.

Still bitter about the penalty though...

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Urban myth I think mate. Heard the same story about a few clubs all claiming the same thing. Sh i te most probably.

One stroy that is true though. in 1995 a mate of mine was on the books at Motherwell. McLeish was manager at the time I think. They brought a Norweigan striker over for a trial. He trained with them for 2 weeks. When it came to making a decision on him they let him go and signed Willie Falconer instead because they knew more about him. His name? Ole Gunner Solskjear. The rest is history.

Nucky Thompson
Urban myth I think mate. Heard the same story about a few clubs all claiming the same thing. Sh i te most probably.

One stroy that is true though. in 1995 a mate of mine was on the books at Motherwell. McLeish was manager at the time I think. They brought a Norweigan striker over for a trial. He trained with them for 2 weeks. When it came to making a decision on him they let him go and signed Willie Falconer instead because they knew more about him. His name? Ole Gunner Solskjear. The rest is history.

That could be right, he signed for Man U in the summer of 1996.

bigis semiauskas

Unbelievable,my hero aswell Ole!

A favourite amongst Hearts fans - while the rumours of signing Eidur Gudjonsson a couple of years back were clearly bollocks, it was true that Jeffries was desperate to sign him in 1998 but Robinson would not put the money up for the transfer as he was unwilling to pay a 6 figure sum for someone he hadn't heard of.

Nucky Thompson
A favourite amongst Hearts fans - while the rumours of signing Eidur Gudjonsson a couple of years back were clearly bollocks, it was true that Jeffries was desperate to sign him in 1998 but Robinson would not put the money up for the transfer as he was unwilling to pay a 6 figure sum for someone he hadn't heard of.
100% spot on;)

Cappuccino Kid

Shirley he wanted to go to the San Giro as that was Brazil's football academy.

He did eventually appear at Tynie around the time of the under 16 world championships.

Pele wouldn't leave Brazil so we didn't sign him.

Graham Shaw said he *would* leave Piershill, so we signed him instead. :rolleyes:

Nucky Thompson
Hahahahahahahaha :laugh:

That is all

Aye the Hobos lost 4 fecking goals today:107years: Fecking brilliant. Wheres that ugly fecking dog face Moroccan you love:107years: Benji the dug is his name:107years:

nanananananana-angus

I'm sure one day Real Madrid fans will tell similar folklorish tall tales about how the almost signed the legend that was Steven Fletcher.:)

Feyenoord passed on the chance to sign the following players at one stage *sigh* :

Maradona

Brian Laudrup

Rivaldo

Ronaldo

Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Jaap Stam

Fred (Olympic Lyon)

Dennis Bergkamp

Beat that ;)

I'm sure I heard that Hearts had Didier Deschamps on trial in the late 80's but knocked him back as not good enough.

Two that are definitely true are Robbie Savage and Egil Ostenstad. Hearts had agreed a fee for Savage with Crewe but he choose to go to Martin O'Neill's Leicester. Similarly we agreed a fee with Viking Stavanger for Ostenstad only for him to go to Southampton and become a regular scorer in the Premiership. This was long before the ill fated spell at Rangers.

We also had contract discussions with Thomas Brolin after he left Leeds and of course there was also the infamous bid for Stan Collymore.

jambos are go!

IIRC it was Hibs who were mooted to have tried to sign Pele in the early Sixties not Hearts. It was a sop to their fans after Joe Baker was sold to Torino. Pretty sure about that.

Heard the same story years ago Bigsemi from older Hearts fans. In those days links with South American football was in it`s infancy and a formner Hearts player had went to play in Colombia(i think?) Bobby Flavell (again i think?)

It`s far fetched now because of what Pele went on to do but if he was just a young lad starting out discovered by ex pats playing over there, i don`t think it`s too OTT to think there may have been a link.

Cappuccino Kid
Know a dumbarton fan.( yes incredible i know,but there is one)

Who claims Johan Cruyff was ready to sign for them at one point.

He was certainly approached and said to be interested until finding out Div. 1 was not the top league.

Hearts of Vladland
I'm sure one day Real Madrid fans will tell similar folklorish tall tales about how the almost signed the legend that was Steven Fletcher.:)

:D

I'm pretty sure St Mirren tried to sign Ronaldinho on loan before he hit the big time and thats no joke

Correct!! He was just about to sign for them, but signed for PSG at the last minute!

Bungalow Bill
Similarly we agreed a fee with Viking Stavanger for Ostenstad only for him to go to Southampton and become a regular scorer in the Premiership.

And the first weekend after that failed move we drew with Raith Rovers at home and Southampton put 6 past Man Utd (remember they changed strips at half time). That was 12 years ago today.

bigis semiauskas

Welcome back CJ,did you bump into Ronaldo in Portugal and did you wear your 'Cristiano' at the poolside.

Oh! and did you ask him if its true we were competing with Real for his signature?

Its true that Pele was going to sign for Hearts but it was pointed out to him that he would be betraying his country by joining Hearts as everyone knows that Brazil owe their footballing flair and succes to Hibs.

IIRC the hobos also passed on Roni Rosenthal after a 2 week trial. Good enough for Liverpool.

If I recall correctly the Hobos also had David Platt on trial from Crewe but similarly sent him packing as he wasn't good enough.

IIRC the hobos also passed on Roni Rosenthal after a 2 week trial. Good enough for Liverpool.

Aye, that Alex Miller`s a good judge of a player! FFs he even let his sons play for us - not only were they crap, they were ginger too - didnt have a lot going for them - probably big in Japan now

Sir Alex Ferguson was very close to joining Hearts from Man U at one point!

True. My Bro-in- law is a life long friend of Neil Berry and heard the story from him back in the eighties.

Blame Mark Robins! It was he who scored the goal which kept Fergie in the Man U job, and before that game apparently Wallace Mercer had spoken to Ferguson about coming up the road.

bigis semiauskas
True. My Bro-in- law is a life long friend of Neil Berry and heard the story from him back in the eighties.

Blame Mark Robins! It was he who scored the goal which kept Fergie in the Man U job, and before that game apparently Wallace Mercer had spoken to Ferguson about coming up the road.

Now that would have made me Pwoud.

Patrick Bateman

Pretty sure the Hobos interviewed an obscure Frenchman managing in the J-league back in 1995... his name was Arsene Wenger. At least, I think this is true...? Imagine Ferguson's Hearts taking on Wenger's Hibs. Surreal stuff indeed.

st mirren nearly signed ronaldinho on loan a few years ago.

when he moved from gremio to PSG, PSG wanted to loan him out for match fitness but the SFA denied his work permit

If I recall correctly the Hobos also had David Platt on trial from Crewe but similarly sent him packing as he wasn't good enough.

Always brings a smile to my face this story. They went to watch Platt play and decided to sign Gareth Evans from the opposing side instead.

Hagar the Horrible

Thats true about Platt, Hibs did not think he was worth ?30k then 2 years later he went to Italy from Villa for millions. Mind you we turned down John Gregg!

It was also true about Dunbartons favourite son, Cruyff he wanted to end his career there, playing for a small provintial club to give something back to the game, was was keen, but i think from memory it was Dunbarton who were less keen as it would have been too much of a circus? either that and he actually visited the west coast dump.

Archived