Bank card fraud

shaun.lawson

I've just been informed that it's been attempted on my account! :eek: Fortunately, good old HSBC were on the case, and it failed - but has this sort of thing ever happened to anyone else? Scary...

My M&S cc was 'compromised' (M&S description) twice earlier this year resulting in two new cards within about 3 months. They would not tell me the trader involved which annoyed me as I would like to have avoid using them again if possible.

Happened to my wife a few weeks ago after visiting the local Shell petrol station. Someone tried to change money from her account into Australian dollars! :eek:

Was in the paper a few weeks ago, hundreds of people were conned! :rolleyes:

The Garage round the back of the Golf Tavern was involved in this kind of scam about a year ago - the perps legged it out the country, and I'm not suggesting for a minute the current encumbents are involved in the same things. Pretty sure it was in the EEN.

Name and shame the garage please.

I don't know who it was, Stuart. The fraud was attempted at an ATM in South Africa, and the last time I used the card was at a Tesco Express last night - but that doesn't mean it definitely emanates from there.

The Garage round the back of the Golf Tavern was involved in this kind of scam about a year ago - the perps legged it out the country, and I'm not suggesting for a minute the current encumbents are involved in the same things. Pretty sure it was in the EEN.

Sheeoot - this was in the EEN a week ago ...

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/scotland/Missing-money-fuels-fears-of.4606194.jp

Randle P McMurphy

My son had his card cloned somewhere in the weege and they proceeded to withdraw ?200 every day for about 10 days before he realised. RBS did pay him back though. Ironically he is now working for RBS in their phishing and internet fraud dept now.

This happened to my friend when she was in New York recently.

Not too sympathetic however as the card was a credit card connected to her mother's account! Brat

Got done with the Barclay Place garage scam.

Bank phoned me up and asked if i had been in Canada in the last week as money was being withdrawn from atm's over there.

Never set foot in moose land so my card was cancelled and a new one sent out.

They were taking dollars out in dribs and drabs and got about four hundred quid before the bank stepped in.

I got the money back and when i looked through my statements one of the few times i had used my card had been paying for fuel in Barclay Place filling station.

Still use the place as it's my local one but always pay in cash and for a while after you could see the hole in the light fitting where the booger had hidden his camera above the chip and pin machine.

I definitely think it was the Tesco's I was in last night now. Thinking about it, there was something odd about the cashier: I usually start putting the goods in bags as they're still going through, and then put my card in the machine - but she made a point of holding on to them until the card had been verified. I now realise this was to ensure she'd be copying a card that had money in for scammers! :eek:

I'll report it - but it was probably just a rogue cashier.

I've just been informed that it's been attempted on my account! :eek: Fortunately, good old HSBC were on the case, and it failed - but has this sort of thing ever happened to anyone else? Scary...

I assume attempted as a poor student should have next to nothing in his account.:)

I assume attempted as a poor student should have next to nothing in his account.:)

This is correct, yes. :sad:

My old man got done by the same Shell garage as rodge's wife, they tried taking out 400 dollers in oz but because he'd just used the card here the transaction was rejected!

My mate got hit wi this at Shell in Mayfield.Paid by delta and a week later money went out his account.Got it all back in the end though.

It was the Shell garage at Mayfield Rodge is talking about. "Dropping" the card and swiping it through another machine apparently.

Mine got done, no idea where though as I havent used that station for over a year, but someone tried to withdraw cash in Australia on Sunday with it.

Really worrying how many folk on here alone have been affected by this. Will be paying cash for the foreseeable future!

It was the Shell garage at Mayfield Rodge is talking about. "Dropping" the card and swiping it through another machine apparently.

Mine got done, no idea where though as I havent used that station for over a year, but someone tried to withdraw cash in Australia on Sunday with it.

Sorry bud never read all the way down.

Really worrying how many folk on here alone have been affected by this. Will be paying cash for the foreseeable future!

You need to take that out of cash machines though...

Kalamazoo Jambo
You need to take that out of cash machines though...

You've got to be very careful of cash machines.

You might end up being attacked by non-existent people for the cash that you never took out, and then get the letter 'B' scratched into your face (backwards - y'know, like you did it yourself in a mirror) due to your political leanings :eek:

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/2008/view.bg?articleid=1127679&srvc=2008campnews&position=2

I have stopped trying to use my switch card to pay for things, instead I transfer my cash into an account that uses just the plain old type cahline card and now pay for things with cash, instead of using a debit card.

Also stops big brother looking at what I am spending my money on ;)

Yep, that's the one. Pretty dodgy stuff, apparently they know who it is that's been doing it though. Wouldn't like to be in his shoes if some of the local nutters get a grip of him! :eek::rolleyes:

Probably the most sensible thing, Louise. And to think we were all told that ATM's and Chip & Pin would make everything more secure. :rolleyes:

Probably the most sensible thing, Louise. And to think we were all told that ATM's and Chip & Pin would make everything more secure. :rolleyes:

5 mins ago I had my credit card security folks on the phone saying my card had just been declined for a transaction in Canada ... it was declined coz of the wrong PIN so it must count for something

had ?1500 charged to my Egg card a couple of years ago to two takeaways who were charging 3 or 4 orders of ?30+ a night! I only noticed when my card was refused - called up to find out why and was given the bad news.

now, fair play to Egg, they just asked me to tell them which transactions were fraudulent and wiped them in 24 hours, but I'd have hoped such an obvious spending pattern might have been noticed earlier.

The banks have an absolute duty to make ATM's safer. Can their techies not outwit the criminal underworld? Apparently not - :(

Okay thanks.

Leaving aside the customers who bring problems upon themselves, do you think that we (as in society), overstating the problem? In other words, are ATM machines a lot safer than some would have us think?

What payment methods? Is Paypal generally pretty secure?

Just interested given that you work in this field.

thanks

Okay, thanks. Here's one for you then. Every day I get e mails from various credit card companies, offering me this card, and that card. How can you be sure that the site you are ordering one from is in itself legit? Oh, and these 'devices' that go into ATM machines. Anyone actually ever seen one? What about putting a pic of them ON ATM's?

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I got done after using my card to pay for pizza on the phone but the bank were pretty on the ball and it got halted when I was down ?150.

I never give out my CC details over the phone now, as thats twice I've been done in takeaways.

I got done after using my card to pay for pizza on the phone but the bank were pretty on the ball and it got halted when I was down ?150.

I never give out my CC details over the phone now, as thats twice I've been done in takeaways.

Do you think the police ever bother with such things? It must be relatively easy to trace back the scammer.

boy_in_maroon
Happened to my wife a few weeks ago after visiting the local Shell petrol station. Someone tried to change money from her account into Australian dollars! :eek:

Was in the paper a few weeks ago, hundreds of people were conned! :rolleyes:

This same thing has just happened to my fiancee, she last used her card at a sainsbury's petrol staition last week, then she got a call from Lloyds TSB security, informing her of an attempt to take ?213 out of her account in Australia

Brian Whittaker's Tache
Do you think the police ever bother with such things? It must be relatively easy to trace back the scammer.

No idea tbh. Mines was a Domino's in Docklands in London when I lived there.

The employee got booted and and I got three free pizza's. RESULT!!

First time was blatant cheque fraud, I paid a cheque for a curry (I was a student and the feckers in the restaurant added a three to the number in the box so I paid ?323 for a curry instead of ?23. Banks never actually check that the numbers and letters correspond

My sister had a call last week, about her card being used in Australia

RBS were really on the ball and blocked the transaction though

My sister had a call last week, about her card being used in Australia

RBS were really on the ball and blocked the transaction though

Same with mine, but I got mine declined at work. Phoned up and was told they had blocked the withdrawal.

Had to pay for my lunch with a bloody scratchcard though!:biggrin:

BTW seems likely mine was done at Shell Crewe Toll. A mate had his done there and I use it a bit too.

Im on holiday in Australia just now and just tried to use my own bank card in 4 different ATMs at 4 different banks and it wont let me take money out. Must be something to do with all the fraud as I know someone else who had their card cloned and money taken out in Australia.

My card was cloned in spain in september , they withdrew over ?200 one day in MILAN and then the next 2 attempts were refused by the bank due to unusual activity .

To be fair to the bank within 6 weeks it has been resolved .

This same thing has just happened to my fiancee, she last used her card at a sainsbury's petrol staition last week, then she got a call from Lloyds TSB security, informing her of an attempt to take ?213 out of her account in Australia

Which Sainsbury's?

Seems like this is getting far more common than it used to be - so much for "chip and PIN" security! :eek:

Some fecker bought ?400 worth of easyjet flights with mine, Alliance & Leicster sorted it all though shut my account though wasn't happy with the security after that.

Okay, thanks. Here's one for you then. Every day I get e mails from various credit card companies, offering me this card, and that card. How can you be sure that the site you are ordering one from is in itself legit? Oh, and these 'devices' that go into ATM machines. Anyone actually ever seen one? What about putting a pic of them ON ATM's?

A length of tape is inserted into the card slot. The customer inserts the card and the tape traps it. The criminal is standing behind the customer and when the machine refuses to give up the card and the customer is pressing various buttons the criminal will suggest they enter their pin number twice as this has happened to them. The customer does this watched by the criminal and when they don't receive their card back walk off to report it to the bank. The criminal removes the device and card and goes to other cash points to withdraw money...........

http://www.northeastfraudforum.co.uk/atmfraud.asp

Im on holiday in Australia just now and just tried to use my own bank card in 4 different ATMs at 4 different banks and it wont let me take money out. Must be something to do with all the fraud as I know someone else who had their card cloned and money taken out in Australia.

That could be another downside of this caper. a simple reluctance to authorise 'foreign' cards ...........bugger if you like to use them on holiday like that too !

What are you selecting when it asks you to choose account type?

What are you selecting when it asks you to choose account type?

Savings. But Ive tried selecting the other two options as well but still no joy.

A length of tape is inserted into the card slot. The customer inserts the card and the tape traps it. The criminal is standing behind the customer and when the machine refuses to give up the card and the customer is pressing various buttons the criminal will suggest they enter their pin number twice as this has happened to them. The customer does this watched by the criminal and when they don't receive their card back walk off to report it to the bank. The criminal removes the device and card and goes to other cash points to withdraw money...........

http://www.northeastfraudforum.co.uk/atmfraud.asp

Very interesting. And really very basic. It is a piece of tape that could be purchased quite easily. You would think that with all their techies, those responsible for the ATM's could figure out a way to overcome the space age criminal mastermind of a piece of tape!

Most places that have ATM's also have CCTV close by. Anyone ever bother their erse to look properly at those recordings. On another thread, a person was asking about how to rebuild their credit rating, and someone (might have been me), suggested this site (see link), to obtain either a pre pay card or one that does have a high APR (okay if you can pay it off each month).

For those in the know, how safe is the site itself? To apply (and I haven't), you need to put in all your personal stuff. The entire sight could be a scam? Maybe not, but what do you think. Anyway, here it is;

http://www.creditcards4badcredit.co.uk/

Earlier this year I went to get cash form the RBS opposite the old ERI. There was a guy standing guard over the machine because it had swallowed his card and wouldn't give it back. He was waiting for his wife because he was stuck with no cash. We had a look for a telephone number he could call to explain the situation but the only number available was that of the Branch. I asked if he had another RBS card of any kind which he did and he found a contact number he could use. If he hadn't the other card he could have been stuck. Wouldn't it be easier to have an emergency contact number on the ATM?

I try to use ATMs inside banks whenever possible

Golden rules

- never use outside a Spar

- Garages are safer due to forecourt cameras

- never use one inside a local shop

- never late at night in a dodgy area

Prince Buaben

The new morrisons in Granton cash machine has been cloning cards since it was put in as it was hte people who installed it tampered with it.

I tend to use the same 3 cash machines. If i can

Archived