Novo - Laughable - NHC

Sexton Hardcastle

Guest Dipped Flake

Seemed to be very reasonable comments from Novo and I would have no problem if he did end up playing for Scotland. As he has stated, his kids were born here and he lives here and considers it his home. Much rather have him than some guy who has lived all his life in another country and qualifies because one of his grandparents came from here.

Of course, whether he is good enough is another story but nowhere in the article does he state he is good enough and would just walk into the team.

Seemed to be very reasonable comments from Novo and I would have no problem if he did end up playing for Scotland. As he has stated, his kids were born here and he lives here and considers it his home. Much rather have him than some guy who has lived all his life in another country and qualifies because one of his grandparents came from here.

Of course, whether he is good enough is another story but nowhere in the article does he state he is good enough and would just walk into the team.

Novo = Legend!

Indeed, fair play to him and going against the grain as a Rangers player coming out and saying he WANTS to play for the Scotland team even under Burley - he isn't a bad striker and could do a job for us.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I will stop following Scotland if Nacho Novo gets a cap and I really mean that.

Jam Tarts 1874

It is a pity that residency does not qualify you in football as it does in other sports like cricket for instance.

We could have had some teams over the years with foreign stars playing for Scotland. Larrson and Laudrup spring to mind as examples.

It is a pity that residency does not qualify you in football as it does in other sports like cricket for instance.

We could have had some teams over the years with foreign stars playing for Scotland. Larrson and Laudrup spring to mind as examples.

I thought after 5 seasons if you had not been capped by your country of birth you could be nationalised.

I thought after 5 seasons if you had not been capped by your country of birth you could be nationalised.

What like the banks?? I wouldnt mind owning him... getting him round to clean the shight of the toilet and other tasks!

On a serious note I think he's a having a little dig at Boyd.

almunia and arteta have both said they want to play for england when they qualify. as for larsson and luadrup they had already represented their national teams by the time they turned up in scotland so there is no way they could of turned out for us.

The rules a nonsense and Novo's a wee **** who shouldn't ever be allowed to play for Scotland.

but.

a lot of people could do worse than have his attitude:

?But obviously this is not my decision to make. Before I can say yes to Scotland I would need to be asked and I have no idea if they are interested in me or not.

?You don?t just demand to play for a country ? that?s not the right way to do things and I would never dream of saying something like this."

A very good attitude that a lot of other players could do with having

"I'd jump at chance to play for Scotland, admits Spanish striker Nacho Novo"

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/scotland/2008/10/24/i-d-jump-at-chance-to-play-for-scotland-admits-spanish-striker-nacho-novo-86908-20834185/

So is he the next Old Firm player to get the nod?

He would probably pull out the squad injured, then suddenly recover in time for the following league game

Sexton Hardcastle

Apparently a guy in the sfa (not sure of his role) wants boyd banned for life for his antics after the Norway game.

Was in the EEN

Novo is a better player than Boyd will ever be... i'd have him play for us... but he'd have to change his name to 'McNovo' for merchandisig purposes!

rudi must stay

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/scotland/2008/10/24/i-d-jump-at-chance-to-play-for-scotland-admits-spanish-striker-nacho-novo-86908-20834185/

don't care who he plays for tbh. He's a goalscorer, that's what we need now that Boyd's quit

Novo's a good player, and would be Scotland's best option up front

He also comes across really well in the interview. Other teams have been doing it for years, so because of that I think we might as well use the rules to our advantage

Novo's a good player, and would be Scotland's best option up front

He also comes across really well in the interview. Other teams have been doing it for years, so because of that I think we might as well use the rules to our advantage

Nacho Novo is hardly Eduardo of Croatia/Arsenal level though is he?

I'd rather the SFA spent their time persuading the next McGeady or McCarthy to play for Scotland instead of another country

marshallschunkychicken
Apparently a guy in the sfa (not sure of his role) wants boyd banned for life for his antics after the Norway game.

Was in the EEN

It's the first time I have EVER agreed with George Peat...

Guest S.U.S.S.
I will stop following Scotland if Nacho Novo gets a cap and I really mean that.

Why on earth would you do that?

Take the huff and turn your back on your country because they make a decision you dont agree with?

Your worse than Chris Boyd.

I dislike him coz he is a menace on the park and it is testament to how well he plays against us when he comes on as he always causes problems and scores so i would welcome him in a scotland shirt !!! Bring on the novo little hun b?$%^&d :)

Portugal fans don't complain about Deco do they?

If a player is good enough and have stayed in Scotland long enough that they consider Scotland their home then I have nothing against it.

It's better than the Quashie way with a Scottish grandfather imo.

Frankenstein Jambo.

I think the person who wears a scotland shirt should be willing to give 100% for his country and if novo could do that then yes take him. I don't think would be in it, Heart and soul, the only country he would be willing to do this for would be spain.

Chad Sexington

I'm not convinced it will happen but Scotland would be fools not to consider all options when it comes to selecting the best people available.

Poland, Croatia, Portugal and quite a few other nations have used this ruling to their advantage. We don't have enough good players to be rejecting out of hand any way to improve the squad.

I believe that you should only play for the country if you were born there or your parents were.

No Grandparent 8th time renewed nonsense.

I do not think Novo should play for Scotland, however at least he has spent 8/9 years living here paying axes etc. Half the clowns in the current team had neve even been to the country before :sad:

Why is everyone banging on about this. It must be slow news day in Scotland if the tabloids are spouting this type of single fish.

Even if he was elligible he will not get a game for Scotland because he is not a first team regular at the currant buns and never will be. End of story

move along now please nothing to see here

My money's on Boyd "doing him" at Rangers training soon

He'll have to run in training then... I doubt he's ever really tried that??!:rolleyes:

Lazy barsteward!

so does this mean that english players like Mole and Driver could play for scotland seeing as they have been in the country for a while?

if not why not?

so does this mean that english players like Mole and Driver could play for scotland seeing as they have been in the country for a while?

if not why not?

As long as they havent played u21.... I think.

As long as they havent played u21.... I think.

There's an agreement with the 'home nations' that players can only play with another home nation if their parent/granparent is born there.

Seems a crap agreement if players like Nova can get to play for scotland but Andy Driver can't, maybe its time Scotland/Wales/NI looked to change this. Possibly on the back of Team GB for London?

Think of all the english players not good enough for their national team that could be available!!

There's an agreement with the 'home nations' that players can only play with another home nation if their parent/granparent is born there.

Seems a crap agreement if players like Nova can get to play for scotland but Andy Driver can't, maybe its time Scotland/Wales/NI looked to change this. Possibly on the back of Team GB for London?

Think of all the english players not good enough for their national team that could be available!!

Ah right, cheers.

Nothing against the lad but he's Spanish. I don't care how long he's lived here or how many haggis suppers he's had.

He's not Scottish.

Never will be.

So, WTF should he play for us ?

Be who we are, no need to cheat.

Desparation by the SFA to bring in another sheit player, mind you Gordon Smith is ex rangers what else can we expect bet he suggested it...I believe scottish players with a scottish connection only....Novo wouldnt get near the spanish team or even a spanish club team as he is rubbish.

He's trying scotland as last chance saloon for a cap of any kind

Nothing against the lad but he's Spanish. I don't care how long he's lived here or how many haggis suppers he's had.

He's not Scottish.

Never will be.

So, WTF should he play for us ?

Be who we are, no need to cheat.

Suppose it if he took up british citizenship,he would be perfectly entitled to play for any of the home nations.

If he is good enough is a different matter.

Novo for Scotland !

Huns fans buy the paper(s) in disbelief.

Sellick fans buy the paper(s) in disbelief.

Mission accomplished.

Suppose it if he took up british citizenship,he would be perfectly entitled to play for any of the home nations.

If he is good enough is a different matter.

i think he is good enough to play for Scotland tbh. It's just frightening after all these years we cant produce a team of real talent (no disrespects to any player individually). Being next door to probably the best league in europe/world and at the moment and the potential platform for young players to get on it but we just can seem to get that conveyor belt going. There are lots of small countries give or take our population that have had great success and some of these places football isnt even as 'big' as it is here. I cant put my finger on it. Is it the lack of money being put in?, the climate, the lifestyle? all? i dunno. But surely by now we should have had some success. We certainly have the twelfth man behind us. I really cant put my finger on it. You get people who dont care about the national team, i do. I really want us to do well and am always 100% behind us. I just think the thing with Novo is a bit sad, if we have to resort to it as we're a footballing nation and a proud one, we simply lack the final product. Anyway, hats off to Novo for thinking of us. I'm drunk:)

Ps, the irish are masters of this :-) Remember they even checked out Sean Dundee's background to see if he was eligible.

I have less of an issue with Novo playing for Scotland than some of the "me gran was Scottish" brigade. I would prefer a team full of Scottish people but I'd overlook his nationality if he scored the goal that sent us to the World Cup.

Whether or not he is good enough is another matter...

Archived