Hibs' goal on Sunday

andy1874hmfc

I was just watching the highlights the BBC website again. At the goal for hibs, whilst Fletcher is running into the box to score he pushes the Hearts defender back (Wallace I think) preventing him getting to ball before him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/7679143.stm

Does anyone else notice this?

Thoughts?

I was just watching the highlights the BBC website again. At the goal for hibs, whilst Fletcher is running into the box to score he pushes the Hearts defender back (Wallace I think) preventing him getting to ball before him.

Thoughts?

The goal was also offside

The goal was also offside

No, I don't think it was, it was Nish running through and he was onside.

Onside and bad defending from Wallace who lost his man.

NEXT!

I think Wallace was pushed back by Fletcher.

I think Wallace was pushed back by Fletcher.

I don't - it was 2 guys jostling for position but Fletcher had the start on Wallace who was slow off the mark

Thoughts?

Clutching at straws im afraid!

Never a foul or offside imo

this_is_my_story
Onside and bad defending from Wallace who lost his man.

NEXT!

Agreed about Wallace, he should have been much sharper to the fact that Fletcher would make a near post run, he was sleeping!

But I have to say, when you see the replay of the goal from behind Nish, where you get to see along the line - as Nish squares the ball, Fletcher is slightly ahead of the line - and it's not a square ball (which would 'defeat' the offside rule, even when the attacker is in front of the last man), the ball is played at a slight forward angle to Fletcher - offside in my opinion!

kennygarland1
I don't - it was 2 guys jostling for position but Fletcher had the start on Wallace who was slow off the mark

There's not a defender in the world could've prevented that goal,he was 2yards out ffs,why the flack against young Wallace? Is it because he supported the hobos as a laddie? I've news for you so did John Robertson:eek:. Lay off the guy ffs,i thought he played a blinder on sun and given the support and coaching he will be a great player for us.

Better call Saul
There's not a defender in the world could've prevented that goal,he was 2yards out ffs,why the flack against young Wallace? Is it because he supported the hobos as a laddie? I've news for you so did John Robertson:eek:. Lay off the guy ffs,i thought he played a blinder on sun and given the support and coaching he will be a great player for us.

thought kello was AWOL

Agreed about Wallace, he should have been much sharper to the fact that Fletcher would make a near post run, he was sleeping!

But I have to say, when you see the replay of the goal from behind Nish, where you get to see along the line - as Nish squares the ball, Fletcher is slightly ahead of the line - and it's not a square ball (which would 'defeat' the offside rule, even when the attacker is in front of the last man), the ball is played at a slight forward angle to Fletcher - offside in my opinion![/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, if you pause it as nish passes it you will see that Fletcher is behind Nish therefore he is not and cannot be offside......not even close :(

should have had them dead and burried by the end anyway!

Much as I would like it to be different...I've gotta agree with this assessment.

stevieC@pivot
Bad defending by Karipedis in the first instance, Wallace in the second.

A totally avoidable goal to lose

Correct!! Karapidis was sleeping,Wallace next!

Bad defending by Karipedis in the first instance, Wallace in the second.

A totally avoidable goal to lose

Ditto. Really narks me off that whenever we go there these days our sluggish start gifts them an early goal and we're left struggling to get back in the game.

Guest S.U.S.S.

Wallace was slow to react and it was onside.

Makes us sound like a bunch of deranged straw clutching hobos.

suck it up and move on.

i thought it was offside at first when i saw the replays because there were no hearts players between nish and fletcher and kello, and that the pass had ben played forward.... but if you look again, fletcher is still behind nish (just) when he squares it.

onside i'm afraid.

rudi must stay

Thoughts?

don't think it could have been prevented tbh. It was a moment of class from Riordan, luckily for us it was the only thing he did in the game

Clutching at straws?

This type of thread is quite embarassing.

I'm not clutching straws, I just wondering what other Hearts fans thought of it.

Ally Alexander

It appeared to me that, more than once and certainly for the move leading to the goal, Riordan seemed to prevent Jonsson getting anywhere near him by sticking out more or less a straight arm, almost like a rugby palm off. He's not the only player I have seen using this tactic (Gaza certainly used his arms to hold off opponents and pretty sure that Hearts players have employed it also but it does annoy me - a small gripe - I assume that it is not illegal as I have never seen it penalised.

The way I saw it was that Kari was out of position and then Wallace was very guilty of ball watching and this allowed Fletcher to gain a yard on him.

Wallace was also ball watching a couple of more times in the first half but then in my opinion picked himself up and played the second half, what was probably the best he has in a long time after that.

alwaysthereinspirit

Robbo was a #obo? This is why I come on here. The stuff I've learned.

The White Cockade

But I have to say, when you see the replay of the goal from behind Nish, where you get to see along the line - as Nish squares the ball, Fletcher is slightly ahead of the line - and it's not a square ball (which would 'defeat' the offside rule, even when the attacker is in front of the last man), the ball is played at a slight forward angle to Fletcher - offside in my opinion!

Fletcher is BEHIND the ball when its played

Cannot be offside

Archived